About to quit job and start Uni. full time - wanting advice/thoughts on side projects

I'm looking forward to it immensely man. I've been on the work grind since I was about 20. I've been in the same soul draining office job for the last 2 years. This last opportunity to just be a student and pursue my passions is a huge blessing and I want to make the most of it.

Have fun brother!

How old are you?

The reason I ask is because you really shouldn’t be editorializing anything about lifestyle, environmental issues, etc., if you haven’t even lived for 30 years. Unless you’re just going to write factual accounts of different things, then you probably don’t have anything useful to say on any of those subjects. Working out? Maybe. But keep in mind there are already a shitload of other people who are doing that, and they are probably professional trainers.

I didn't read the whole OP, but start cobbling. You're welcome.

How old are you?

The reason I ask is because you really shouldn’t be editorializing anything about lifestyle, environmental issues, etc., if you haven’t even lived for 30 years. Unless you’re just going to write factual accounts of different things, then you probably don’t have anything useful to say on any of those subjects. Working out? Maybe. But keep in mind there are already a shitload of other people who are doing that, and they are probably professional trainers.

I'm 26. I think you can still produce content about topics you may not be a certified expert on. Yeah, the fitness blog/vlog world is pretty saturated but again man with the 3-5 billion people soon to come online there is a massive amount of opportunity in any sphere of online content creation. The fitness/diet aspect really isn't going to be a huge focus for me honestly. I just think I may produce some content here and there on it.

Last edited:
Yeah that's a fair question. I think as google translate becomes more and more advanced language barriers are less of a thing. I think the big question here is how does someone from these developing countries that are coming online come across your content?
Google translate works well for written text, less so when you are trying to watch a YouTube video. So if international users are what you are targeting, then maybe a traditional blog is better than a vlog? I dunno, up to you who you think will be viewing your content.

The catch with the written stuff versus YouTube is that people tend to stick to the domains they know or are allowed to use (depending on the country they live in). I don’t know about you, but I tend to stick on the .com sites, not the .ru or .ch ones. Partly because of language issues, partly because I don’t care about all the things happening in those countries. If your content is about American politics, American culture, etc., your content may not be interesting to someone from India (although they may be much more interested in things like veganism than many Americans might).

How open are you to other suggestions outside of content production?

Just sell drugs like any other normal university student. Fucking millennials man.

Google translate works well for written text, less so when you are trying to watch a YouTube video. So if international users are what you are targeting, then maybe a traditional blog is better than a vlog? I dunno, up to you who you think will be viewing your content.

The catch with the written stuff versus YouTube is that people tend to stick to the domains they know or are allowed to use (depending on the country they live in). I don’t know about you, but I tend to stick on the .com sites, not the .ru or .ch ones. Partly because of language issues, partly because I don’t care about all the things happening in those countries. If your content is about American politics, American culture, etc., your content may not be interesting to someone from India (although they may be much more interested in things like veganism than many Americans might).

How open are you to other suggestions outside of content production?

You raise some good points. I do think the english speaking sphere is quite large internationally and that the sphere will continue to grow. The American population is still growing and the spread of english will continue. These are all important things to consider.

I am definitely open to suggestions outside of content production.

Just sell drugs like any other normal university student. Fucking millennials man.

Risk prison, and constantly be answering to phone calls/texts to sell 20$ of product while having to deal with some scummy people here and there? Hmmmm.... sounds like a great choice. Also, been there, done that.

Risk prison, and constantly be answering to phone calls/texts to sell 20$ of product while having to deal with some scummy people here and there? Hmmmm.... sounds like a great choice. Also, been there, done that.

Sorry, that was a shit post. I have literally no advice for you. Good luck though.

You raise some good points. I do think the english speaking sphere is quite large internationally and that the sphere will continue to grow. The American population is still growing and the spread of english will continue. These are all important things to consider.

I am definitely open to suggestions outside of content production.
The English-speaking market is probably your best bet if you want to produce content. Unless you’re a massive organization like CNN, I doubt a bunch of non-English-speaking are going to find and ingest your content anyways.

I know you want to get into law. I don’t know if this exists or not, but I have an idea for a legal data system. If you were down to pass on the revenue for now, it may pay huge dividends later. Not sure if that’s viable for you now, as most students can’t float their accounts on diminished input.

It would make far too much sense to actually get a part-time job or internship related to your major.

I hate to be negative but I think you're going to be disappointed. You ever hear of "Adpocalypse"? Lots of youtubers are having their videos demonetized for no good reason. It is tougher than before to make it big on youtube. I met a youtuber once named Akasan who is around 150k subs and the guy still needs to work outside of youtube.

You need to prioritise with a plan and stick to it.

No point wasting study worth tens of thousands for a couple of thousand dollars income (let alone after tax profit).

I hate to be negative but I think you're going to be disappointed. You ever hear of "Adpocalypse"? Lots of youtubers are having their videos demonetized for no good reason. It is tougher than before to make it big on youtube. I met a youtuber once named Akasan who is around 150k subs and the guy still needs to work outside of youtube.
Yeah I've heard of adpocalypse. It's a shame that youtube decided to do that. However, I'm not making youtube my main priority. Do you know if that youtuber you met had a patreon? There's different ways to monetize your material and how you go about that makes a big difference.

How much debt are you talking??
I'll probably be in about 20k, that's if I decided to not go to law school. If I go to law school that number will climb much higher.

You need to prioritise with a plan and stick to it.

No point wasting study worth tens of thousands for a couple of thousand dollars income (let alone after tax profit).
I'm somewhat confused. The idea isn't to be doing online stuff for the rest of my life (but that would be ideal). Hopefully I can get to that point one day but after graduation I'll either be going to grad/law school or going back to work.

Essentially you are getting into show business, and that is very risky. What are you going to school for again?

@Der Eisbar

I fail to see the risk when there's little money being put into all of it. I'm going to spend around 600-800 for a camera, tripod, microphone and other accessories. A few more bucks for some software, and that's about it. I also fail to see how content creation is "show business"? Like I want to do youtube videos here and there but I also want to do a lot of writing and grow the website/blog. There are thousands and thousands of people making an income either vlogging, blogging or both.

I fail to see the risk when there's little money being put into all of it. I'm going to spend around 600-800 for a camera, tripod, microphone and other accessories. A few more bucks for some software, and that's about it. I also fail to see how content creation is "show business"? Like I want to do youtube videos here and there but I also want to do a lot of writing and grow the website/blog. There are thousands and thousands of people making an income either vlogging, blogging or both.

The production value of your vids has to be high or else why will anyone watch over someone else's channel.

As for blogging, why anyone going to read your blog? You are quitting your stable job for that. You dont know if you will make any money at all. That is why risky.

What are you going to school for.

Back