Absolute Crap Day At The Gym

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Mondays are never easy. They suck even more when you don't perform. Today I was just off. Not off like I did anything wrong. I just felt like bleh.

I'm heavy right now by a few pounds, and I feel weak at the same time.

I didn't have any snap on my punches, I had to be critiqued about 4 times on the bag.
I slipped twice doing mitts in the ring. The coach said it was the canvas being wet, but still.
I kept mishearing the punch combos being called out on mitts which was embarrassing. Nothing like swinging and hitting air because you're uncoordinated with which hand to throw.
Tomorrow is a spar day, and I feel like my rhythm is off and I'm going to take unnecessary shots if I don't turn this funk around in the next 24 hours.

I'm a big boy I'll be okay. But question:

What do you guys do when you have a crap day at the gym? How do you motivate yourself to be mentally resilient when everything is going wrong?

It happens... can't do anything about what's already happened but you can rest, recover and go back in tomorrow with a proper mindset.

It happens, don't think too much into it.

Either that or your padholding partners have been total shit this entire time holding pads like you're fighting King Ghidorah from Godzilla; And it turns out your coach holds how you're supposed to hit and you're missing. It's happened with me before.

Look at the plus sides to that session and work from there.

Shitty sessions happen a lot. If you read my posting logs I have been complaining a lot. It is just recently when I started doing better in training and in spars. I am sure sooner or later I will hit tons of shitty sessions again :)
It is hard work. It does not go over night. You may have some "aha" moments here and there, but it is just hard work and lots of grinding.

It happens, don't think too much into it.

Either that or your padholding partners have been total shit this entire time holding pads like you're fighting King Ghidorah from Godzilla; And it turns out your coach holds how you're supposed to hit and you're missing. It's happened with me before.

Look at the plus sides to that session and work from there.

He was calling combos that I wasn't registering. Instead of giving him a 1-1-2 which he clearly asked for I just gave a 1-2, and ducked out when I felt confused. I saw his hand there ready for the combo he called for, and thought of it as if he wanted me to slip and roll out. He told me what he wanted but I had a mental disconnect that day. Mind was elsewhere, out of rhythm. Only coaches hold mitts at my gym.

Lol Godzilla. I was out of rhythm like Mecha Godzilla. lol

Oh, and swimmers don't get wet. Comes with the territory. Lol but if you don't then I applaud you. Keep it up.
Even bad days are good days. Unless I get injured. And even then its still a good learning day

Even bad days are good days. Unless I get injured. And even then its still a good learning day

Good way to think about it. It was a better day in the gym. Not pity posts today lol. But nice angle, I may use that.

Back