Acetyl L-carnitine

This one is rather new, and it was relevant in a recent class of mine. Not so relevant here.

Why Aging Humans Need More Carnitine

By Julius G. Goepp, MD

An inevitable consequence of aging is a rapid decline in our cellular energy levels. The outward effects often manifest as a sense of overall fatigue, depression, and sexual dysfunction. The internal effect of a cellular energy deficit is a greater vulnerability to a host of degenerative diseases.

The prime reason cells lose their energy-producing ability is that the powerhouses of the cells*

MikeMartial said:
From Wiki:

The sale of L-carnitine if sold alone as a natural health product is banned in Canada. Any health supplements that list L-carnitine as an ingredient are also banned by Canada's national health ministry

That totally blows. I should seriously move south.
When was that passed? I bought a bottle of ALC like 6 mos ago. 750mg caps

franckletanck said:
When was that passed? I bought a bottle of ALC like 6 mos ago. 750mg caps

I have no idea when it was passed; info on Wiki can be a little suspect. I haven't seen it around in any of the stores in my city, and neither Popeye's nor Sports Nutrition Depot have it listed on their website.

In the past when arginine was banned, one could buy it from the states, have it shipped, but one couldn't actually buy it in Canada. It was essentially legal to use, but illegal to sell. ALC may fall into this category, but don't quote me on it.

If I get around to it today (worked a nightshift last night, I have a date with a king sized bed in about 10 minutes) I'll call the local GNC and see what the guys say. They were the ones that informed me of the arginine-loophole a few years back.

Hey, maybe you Canucks have your heads up your asses on supplements, but at least you know where the money's at with hemp. That shit is still classified at a Schedule I drug here in the states (it would take 30 pounds to get someone high...it's more commercially viable for translation into paper than into a concentrated THC source on the black market).

It's actually one of B.C.'s main exports; I had heard that B.C Hydro is in such demand that it can be traded stright across for cocaine, pound for pound. Must be all that mountain air and sunshine that cranks up the THC levels :icon_twis

It came close to becoming legalized a while back, but that got shut down fast. It's still a huge source of revenue for police departments.

So I called GNC, and while the guys didn't have any more info on the ban per se, they assured me in no way could they get it. He did say I could try and order some from the US, and see what happens.

I didn't find anything on the Health Canada website, but it's a nightmare to navigate.

I did find this while surfing, though:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"L-carnitine is not banned in Canada. It is only available with a doctor's prescription. The reason is because by definition in section 2 of the Food and Drugs Act, it is considered a drug (also read Schedule F). As far as I can find out there are a couple reasons why it was moved from on-the-shelf to prescription use only:

1. It was abused by bodybuilders and people trying to lose weight, since if taken in large amounts it can make you lose weight rapidly therefore it can be used as a treatment or prevention of obesity and subsequently classified as a drug.

2. It can be used as a treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and because it is a "medical treatment" it must be classified as a drug and only a doctor can prescribe it to a supervised patient."
[/FONT]

Interesting.

I had heard that B.C Hydro is in such demand that it can be traded stright across for cocaine, pound for pound.

You must be talking to some really stoned people.

bringing up an old thread, my friend just got a bottle of n-acetyle carnitine, are they similar?

Back