ACLU/Maine Democrats oppose bill to criminalize female genital mutilation in Maine

They're both medically unnecessary procedures which cause harm ( if only short term pain in boys) and are based on cultural/religious norms.

Yes, FGM is worse, but both are unjustiable imo.

I think the difference between short term pain and long term denial of sexual fulfillment is a tremendous difference. I'm willing to debate the merits of circumcision in males, but it isn't a similar phenomenon to the more extreme forms of FGM.

I think Muslims who immigrate to the US should be allowed wide latitude to practice their religion, as should members of other religions such as Judaism. I think FGM is a good place to draw some lines though, and I think that is pretty much the consensus view.

Circumcision is a dumb comparison. They don't cut your entire cock off when you get circumcised.

kinda related, Iceland is considering outlawing male circumcision, they did their own independent research and reached a conclusion not favorable to muslims and jews. The best counter argument was studies about sub-saharan africa, pffft and "muh religion".

If you want commentary:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ic...igious-communities.24377/page-18#post-4784181

Religious leaders have reacted with outrage to a bill proposed by MPs in Iceland that would criminalise male circumcision.
The bill proposes a six-year prison term for anyone found guilty of “removing sexual organs in whole or in part”.
Salmann Tamimi, president of the Muslim Association of Iceland, described the proposal as an “attack on religion”.

Progressive Party MP Silja Dögg Gunnarsdóttir is the driving force behind the legislation. “I didn’t think it was necessary to consult,” she told The Independent. “I don’t see it as a religious matter.”
“Every individual, it doesn’t matter what sex or how old… should be able to give informed consent for a procedure that is unnecessary, irreversible and can be harmful. His body, his choice.”

There is no way to circumvent this, the Maine Dems should be cut off by the voters next time around for this.

This makes my foreskin crawl.

It's already illegal everywhere.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/116

18 U.S. Code § 116 - Female genital mutilation

(a)
Except as provided in subsection (b), whoever knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates the whole or any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person who has not attained the age of 18 years shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

So, it's outlawed in Maine already. Seems like political grandstanding. I always found it odd how most Americans have no problems cutting off parts of a little boy's penis since it was a common practice of several ancient cultures, yet vehemently (and rightly) oppose FGM.

What does it say in subsection (b)?

kinda related, Iceland is considering outlawing male circumcision, they did their own independent research and reached a conclusion not favorable to muslims and jews. The best counter argument was studies about sub-saharan africa, pffft and "muh religion".

If you want commentary:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ic...igious-communities.24377/page-18#post-4784181
I think religious freedom is a very good thing. I'm neither Jewish nor Muslim, but denigrating religious freedom arguments as "muh religion" is foolish imo.

This kind of thing won't have much impact in a place like Iceland is homogeneous and irreligious. In a more pluralistic society it would be oppressive.

Circumcision is a dumb comparison. They don't cut your entire cock off when you get circumcised.

Its unnecessary cosmetic surgery that (wait for it), mutilates the penis' foreskin.

Unless you're a Jew, there isn't any reason to put your child through such a ghastly endeavor.

People see outlawing of certain genital mutilation rituals as a proxy for religious bigotry. Laws banning male and female circumcision are anti-Semitic and anti-Muslim, respectively.

"You don't want some greasy rabbi to lob off the tip of your child's penis?! ANTI SEMITE!!"

Its unnecessary cosmetic surgery that (wait for it), mutilates the penis' foreskin.

Unless you're a Jew, there isn't any reason to put your child through such a ghastly endeavor.

Cleanliness.

"You don't want some greasy rabbi to lob off the tip of your child's penis?! ANTI SEMITE!!"

It's done in hospitals in the U.S. every day, stop being an hysterical girl.

It's done in hospitals in the U.S. every day, stop being an hysterical girl.

Because it happens regularly means its acceptable?

Guess that also goes for murder, rape, and abortion?

You live by some truly fucked standards.

The fucking smegma king is calling me a savage....LOL.....

I'm just saying, if you aren't even capable of cleaning your own dick maybe you don't belong in this world.

I'm just saying, if you aren't even capable of cleaning your own dick maybe you don't belong in this world.

After a 3-day camping trip your dick attracts bears.

male circumcision is completely different than female -- male snipping has been proven to improve prevention of cancers and infections. The female clit is completely dedicated to pleasure nerves (same amount in a clit than the entire male penis) Unless someone can show me studies that removing the clit prevents cancers and infections, the comparison is not even in the same ballpark

Back