ACLU objects to Hawaii retirement home assisted suicide ban

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This is to much. If you want to kill yourself that is one thing. But forcing other people to get involved and that is what is happening here is to much. I don't understand where the ACLU's priorities are either. They are forcing a catholic retirement home to participate in euthanasia
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireS...i-homes-medically-assisted-death-ban-58912570

The American Civil Liberties Union demanded Thursday that a Hawaii retirement home stop discriminating against non-Catholic residents and allow them to take advantage of the state's new medically assisted suicide law if they wish.

The ACLU of Hawaii sent a letter to the executive director of the Kahala Nui home after receiving an anonymous tip that the home had notified residents they would not be permitted to exercise the provisions of the law, which takes effect in January.

The retirement home told residents in a memo dated May 11 this was because the facility's lease for land under its buildings prohibits activity that is "morally repugnant" to the Roman Catholic Church, including euthanasia.

The church owns the land under the buildings, which is in an affluent Honolulu neighborhood called Kahala.

Wendy Wong, Kahala Nui's executive director, said in a statement the home was reviewing the letter with its legal counsel.

"That said, in no uncertain terms, Kahala Nui does not discriminate and has never denied residency based on religion, race, sex, color or any other basis," she said.

The Catholic Church said in a statement its ground lease prohibits Kahala Nui from promoting assisted suicide but the document specifies the restriction doesn't refer to the acts of individual residents.

"This issue is between Kahala Nui and its residents," the statement said.

Mateo Caballero, the legal director of the ACLU of Hawaii, said the home was discriminating against those who weren't Catholic and was telling residents they have to conform to the Catholic Church's teachings.

"I couldn't think of a more clear violation of the Fair Housing Act and Hawaii's own anti-discrimination laws," he said.

Caballero said he's not aware of another case in which a retirement home prevented its residents from using a medically assisted suicide law.

Caballero said he wants the home to send another note to residents rescinding its May 11 memo and inform residents it was wrong. Caballero said he hopes the ACLU can work with the home on the issue. If not, he said the ACLU would weigh its options, including a potential lawsuit.

Hawaii became the sixth state to legalize medically assisted suicide in April when Gov. David Ige signed the legislation into law.

The law allows doctors to fulfill requests from terminally ill patients for prescription medication that will allow them to die.

Doctor-assisted deaths are already legal in California, Colorado, Oregon, Vermont, Washington and the District of Columbia. Oregon was the first state to adopt such a law in 1997.

How dare a nurse/doctor caring for old folks not want to be a one to kill a grandma!

Agreed. Forcing someone to help you end yourself is repundgent

How dare a nurse/doctor caring for old folks not want to be a one to kill a grandma!

Agreed. Forcing someone to help you end yourself is repundgent
I'm not seeing where they are forcing a nurse or doctor to help them suicide against that nurse or doctor's wishes.

Its the landlord that has the objection, not a particular doctor.

I'm not seeing where they are forcing a nurse or doctor to help them suicide against that nurse or doctor's wishes.

These mofos have reading comprehension issues.

The Catholic Church said in a statement its ground lease prohibits Kahala Nui from promoting assisted suicide but the document specifies the restriction doesn't refer to the acts of individual residents.

I need a clearer idea of what this means for a patient who is interested in doctor-assisted suicide. The home shouldn't have to promote the idea (that's easy to agree with), but they also shouldn't be making it difficult for their residents to communicate with doctors in order to pursue an assisted-suicide.

Is the objection to the idea of letting it happen in the home itself? That seems like a nonissue. I'd hope that everyone involved would be willing to work out transportation to a place the patient is comfortable with.

These mofos have reading comprehension issues.

They also probably adamantly oppose society stepping in to insure the health and welfare of anyone who is not either a fetus or a drooling, elderly vegetable. Great guys...

Here is the actual demand letter. No you are right but I am pretty uncomfortable saying you can't run this place unless you allow people to off themselves at it. Eventually people are just going to take their ball and go home.

https://acluhawaii.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/2018-11-1-letter-to-kahala-nui.pdf
and memo
https://acluhawaii.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/kahala-nui-memo.pdf

This.

No one is being forced to help another person end their suffering. This is just another bullshit story by the far RIGHT...I really wish both parties would give themselves an enema of their radicals so I can stop voting 3rd party cause I cant support either main party with shit like this going on. Keep your social/religious issues out of politics.

Maybe this time around but I am willing to bet there will be a case in the near future.

I hope the company sticks to its guns and just closes it down for everyone. Then they should bulldoze it and piss on the remains

Back