Adapting TKD to MMA

Doughbelly said:
I don't think you're really following the thread. Kyun got flamed for being an internet tough guy/real life pussy.

I haven't been on Sherdog that long, but the majority of people on here are internet tough guys/ real life pussies. Spend some time viewing the threads with Sherdog member's actual real life photos. It's rather amusing to see who is typing behind the keyboard.

Doughbelly said:
Kyun was also an asshole and wasn't really trying to say that there are martial arts that are more easily adaptable. He took the stand that TKD was next to useless, based off of his limited experience which was particularly annoying because there are people right here on these boards who took TKD, MT, kickboxing and/or MMA to a much higher level than he ever did. When he got called on it, he shat his pants and ran.

I read the majority of this thread. Well a good percentage of it. Like I said, he was being close-minded towards TKD. The people that seemed to be involved within the arguement are not even professional fighters themselves so how are they more versed then he is? Maybe in TKD...but that isn't saying much because my opinion of TKD isn't that great either. I acknowledge it's strengths and weaknesses.[/quote]

Doughbelly said:
The problem with your generalizations, being what they are, particularly concerning why people join, is that they are generalities. Personally, when I signed up, I wasn't thinking of any of those things (medical, GI Bill, OR pay) because one, I was already on scholarship and didn't need Army/ROTC money and two, pay/medical was a non-factor because I was attending a high prestige university. Despite some arguments to the contrary, Army officer pay is shit compared to a real job. If I'm honest about it, then years after the fact, the real reason I signed up was A.) adventure - got to jump out of airplanes and helicopters and B.) my father DIDN'T want me to do it so the first thing I did when I was old enough in college was I walked in to the ROTC department and said "sign me up!" Also, a part of me says I wanted to hold some rank over the old man (30+ years military himself).

And yeah, patriotism and service to my country had very little to do with my decision. On the other hand, you're wrong about it no applying to others, especially all those who signed up after 9/11.

To bring back some levity to this thread within a thread, I don't really count the USAF as military. They're more like a heavily armed civil service.

Generalization yes, but is it far from the truth? I highly doubt it. The norm is..

I planned to serve four to six years, and then go to college on the Montgomery GI Bill when I separate.

I wanted to get out of my hometown, it was my ticket out.

I wanted to travel and see the world.

I was looking for job security.

and then they will add "I wanted to serve my country"

I am comparing the internal, conscious commitment to join a common brotherhood and in so doing, foregoing a commitment to self. How many people actually do that and believe it?

If you actually believe the majority of the military does...you my friend need your head checked.

Doughbelly said:
I don't really count the USAF as military. They're more like a heavily armed civil service.

CCs and PJs are bad ass.

I joined the USAF and somehow ended up being stationed at Ft Polk, LA. How does that happen?:icon_cry2

As far as the highkick thing goes didn't Yvel KO Frye with a highkick?

blackriceman said:
how much time do u guys waste typing on this thread

same amount of time that it took you to type something on this thread..

Toujourpret said:
CCs and PJs are bad ass.

I joined the USAF and somehow ended up being stationed at Ft Polk, LA. How does that happen?:icon_cry2

As far as the highkick thing goes didn't Yvel KO Frye with a highkick?

ft polk? why didnt you end up at Barksdale, AFB instead of being at an Army Base? What is your afsc?

I'm not new to sherdog but I am new to the sherdog forums. I was reading some of the posts and I started getting dizzy heheh. I took Tae Kwon do all the way to black belt. I studied karate previous Tae kwon do. Sure it has a lot of flaws but it's crazy to say it's all useless. It's really the practitioner. I've followed MMA for over 10 years but just recently started officially training MMA. (classes, instructors, mat time, etc). I think I'm much more "ahead" than guys my age who haven't taken anything else. I've been in lots of tournaments and competitions in karate and tae kwon do, sure most of it I could never use in an MMA match but, it helps me "mentally" much more than anyone who has never been there. Hope that makes some sense.

savageasfuk said:
As far as the guys flaming Kyun because all these military accomplishments in the past that they weren't a part of... Did you storm the beach of Normandy? :rolleyes:
Reading comprehension is your friend.
Kyun was not involved in any discusion concerning military history. He was the one who slandered the entire US Armed Forces over the actions of a few individuals and made the dumbass statement that you could "thank the US Army" for that.
Your generalizations for enlistment may apply to you but don't try to impose your inequities on others. Most of the people I come in contact with enlisted to serve thier country and not for some GI / medical bill. If that was your reasoning for enlisting (or a guarenteed paycheck, etc.) then the Armed Forces will be better off when your enlistment ends.

philong said:
Reading comprehension is your friend.

If reading comprehension is my friend then you must be it's mistress that got fucked over.

philong said:
Kyun was not involved in any discusion concerning military history. He was the one who slandered the entire US Armed Forces over the actions of a few individuals and made the dumbass statement that you could "thank the US Army" for that.

Hold your horses buddy.... I did manage to read that part of the thread. Yeah that was a broad generalization for the entire Army, but I can see why he dislikes them. If you've ever been stationed in the RoK then you would probably understand it too. A lot of the clubs do not allow military personnel, protests go on all the time against the Army right outiside of their bases, and if you ever happen to walk the streets of Songtan or outside Yongsan within the Itaewon area then you will understand why they are hated.

At Osan AB the majority of the fights are caused by Army folks stationed there or visiting from nearby CP Humphreys. Pretty much every recent incident(don't go back in time on me) that has caused a bad repuatation for the US military in Korea was instigated by a soldier. Rape, kidnapping (sticking some poor old taxi driver in his trunk), recent murder of an old woman, you name it and they've done it. In return the entire military is generalized and everyone suffers. Do you think Koreans care if you are Navy or Air Force when this is posted up? So yea you can "thank" the Army for that.

74301520_ac5b0bf902_o.jpg

philong said:
Your generalizations for enlistment may apply to you but don't try to impose your inequities on others. Most of the people I come in contact with enlisted to serve thier country and not for some GI / medical bill. If that was your reasoning for enlisting (or a guarenteed paycheck, etc.) then the Armed Forces will be better off when your enlistment ends.

Did I ever state anything about joining the military for those reasons? In fact I believe I said "God bless" to those that decided to join not only for those reasons. Do not hate because I simply stated something that is probably not far from the truth. You're stupid and this thread needs to die by the way.

Kyun, if you're gonna pose as somebody else, it'd be wise to drop your old line of argument and tone...

or is everybody a "J-Network" a complete tool?

savageasfuk said:
If reading comprehension is my friend then you must be it's mistress that got fucked over.

Hold your horses buddy.... I did manage to read that part of the thread. Yeah that was a broad generalization for the entire Army, but I can see why he dislikes them. If you've ever been stationed in the RoK then you would probably understand it too. A lot of the clubs do not allow military personnel, protests go on all the time against the Army right outiside of their bases, and if you ever happen to walk the streets of Songtan or outside Yongsan within the Itaewon area then you will understand why they are hated.

At Osan AB the majority of the fights are caused by Army folks stationed there or visiting from nearby CP Humphreys. Pretty much every recent incident(don't go back in time on me) that has caused a bad repuatation for the US military in Korea was instigated by a soldier. Rape, kidnapping (sticking some poor old taxi driver in his trunk), recent murder of an old woman, you name it and they've done it. In return the entire military is generalized and everyone suffers. Do you think Koreans care if you are Navy or Air Force when this is posted up? So yea you can "thank" the Army for that.

74301520_ac5b0bf902_o.jpg

Did I ever state anything about joining the military for those reasons? In fact I believe I said "God bless" to those that decided to join not only for those reasons. Do not hate because I simply stated something that is probably not far from the truth. You're stupid and this thread needs to die by the way.

kyun its not hard to tell you changed your name because you were afraid of following through with your threats... and i guess since you're korean you think you know everything about korea dont you.. i walk around korea and no one hates me because i am in the United States Army... im not banned from anywhere and no one has ever said i cant come into any bar or club in korea, Itaewon or any other city in korea... so youre comment is pretty unreliable.. because again you generalized the whole military by actions of a few stupid privates... no one even gives me a dirty look when i walk into any establishment.. i get treated with respect because i am of korean descent and in the US army.. and especially since im training in mma and fight sometime in korea in the near future.. some of the ROK soldiers working with me nicknames me the Pride of Korea even though i am an American Soldier...

and yes the ROK soldiers are thankful for the US military being here in korea.. its the younger generation who has not served in the ROK army that have bad images of us... when they join the military they understand the need for the US soldiers to be here... but i guess you know more than me and everyone else in korea...

Groucho said:
Kyun, if you're gonna pose as somebody else, it'd be wise to drop your old line of argument and tone...

or is everybody a "J-Network" a complete tool?

i think everyone in J-Network is a tool... and that kyun and the self proclaimed "savageasfuk" is included..

krnguy03 said:
i think everyone in J-Network is a tool... and that kyun and the self proclaimed "savageasfuk" is included..

Pride of Korea? LMAO sure pal. Yeah I am sure everyone in J-Network is a tool and that's coming from who..some guy in the infantry HOOAH!. Do you even fight? Or is rolling around with a few of your buddies considered training. What is your record? Can you prove anything about your credentials? I admitted that I do not train MMA. I am a kick boxer with aspirations of crossing over to learn BJJ or Judo. After all, I live in Japan buddy, I have access to some of the best gyms in the world.

So yeah this is a different user name. You caught me like OJ. I was unable to get into my other account because of email issues. Listen krnguy03. You know nothing about me. I made some broad generalizations about Tae Kwon Do and the Army. But I am going to stick to them. If you took my statements to literally as if I was slandering the entire US ARMY, then I am sorry because I honestly did not mean to do that. My father was in the Army and served 24 years active duty.

But here in Korea, I honestly believe that the majority of the people have a bad impression of the US military because of the ARMY and not the other military branches here. It is soldiers who are raping, kidnapping, stealing, and even killing Koreans.

I am going to stop replying to this thread because it is going absolutely no where.

savageasfuk said:
Pride of Korea? LMAO sure pal. Yeah I am sure everyone in J-Network is a tool and that's coming from who..some guy in the infantry HOOAH!. Do you even fight? Or is rolling around with a few of your buddies considered training. What is your record? Can you prove anything about your credentials? I admitted that I do not train MMA. I am a kick boxer with aspirations of crossing over to learn BJJ or Judo. After all, I live in Japan buddy, I have access to some of the best gyms in the world.

So yeah this is a different user name. You caught me like OJ. I was unable to get into my other account because of email issues. Listen krnguy03. You know nothing about me. I made some broad generalizations about Tae Kwon Do and the Army. But I am going to stick to them. If you took my statements to literally as if I was slandering the entire US ARMY, then I am sorry because I honestly did not mean to do that. My father was in the Army and served 24 years active duty.

But here in Korea, I honestly believe that the majority of the people have a bad impression of the US military because of the ARMY and not the other military branches here. It is soldiers who are raping, kidnapping, stealing, and even killing Koreans.

I am going to stop replying to this thread because it is going absolutely no where.

look here asshole at least i wasnt trying to be a bitch and pretend "i was following this thread for a while" yea other account issues.. your just a pussy... you know nothing about me either because i dont brag about who i trained with and who ive fought.. i dont need to prove anything to you because i know for a fact that you wont fight me because you ate your words after i gave you my information.. im glad your father served in the army... he should have beat the shit out of you for slandering the armed forces.. and yes there are a few dumb privates who were doing those horrible things and yes the were in the army.. but thats because we are basically the only ones here.. there are AF bases but not many... its mostly army out here... "raping,kidnapping,stealing,and even killing koreans" when you say killing you mean the 2 girls who got ran over by a bradley?? some how that has to be the army's fault because the two girls didnt see a fucking bradley??

rolling around with my buddies =training to you?? you sure are a smart one.. yes dont post here anymore.. and dont change your name again.. "savage as fuk" so stupid... next time try to come up with name that is a little less childish..

next time dont send me a message saying that you dont want to fight me and that you apologize... and since i am korean i am pretty sure i know more about the way korean people think about the us military than you do.. its okay because ignorance is bliss.. you say you are professional fighter... but a real fighter doesnt talk shit if he cannot back it up when he gets called out... and a real fighter isnt afraid to fight anyone even though i outweigh, have a huge reach advantage over you, trained in submission wrestling and BJJ... just remember you are the one who started shit with me.. and now you are afraid you make excuses... that just shows me how much of a tool you really are..

obtw savage as fuck is a song by andre nickatina if you do not happen to follow west coast rap. oh well.

savageasfuk said:
ft polk? why didnt you end up at Barksdale, AFB instead of being at an Army Base? What is your afsc?

1W051. Aparently it is one of those career fields the Army does not have so they get us to do it. :icon_cry2 On the flip side it did mean i got stationed...in the middle of nowhere. What am i saying. That has to be the most BFE CONUS assignment without cable TV and air conditioning.:icon_chee I joined the AF for a reason.

Toujourpret said:
1W051. Aparently it is one of those career fields the Army does not have so they get us to do it. :icon_cry2 On the flip side it did mean i got stationed...in the middle of nowhere. What am i saying. That has to be the most BFE CONUS assignment without cable TV and air conditioning.:icon_chee I joined the AF for a reason.

isnt toujourpret the motto of 2CR? meaning "always ready" or something like that?

Toujourpret said:

Dude I feel for you. Lousiana was my worst assignment ever. I was at Barksdale and volunteered to go to Iraq. I got orders for Korea the day before I flew out so I was stoked the entire time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I used to drive three hours to Dallas just to go to deep ellum for clubbing. I also hated the fact that I always felt like I was the only asian within 100 miles..I remember doing roadwork with other fighters from my boxing gym and some hoodlums throwing shit at me from their cars. Racist bastards...

shreveport is the dirtiest, worst smelling, and probably has the highest ratio of obese people in the US due to having more buffets then Seattle has Starbucks.

krnguy03 said:
isnt toujourpret the motto of 2CR? meaning "always ready" or something like that?

which was stationed at Ft Polk :D im not sure where they are now. It also became an inside joke as i spelled it wrong (toujourspret) and i was originally a French major in college. My friends will attest i am hardly "always ready".:redface:

savageasfuk said:
Racist bastards...

The south is such a wierd place. some of the nicest people i have ever met were int he south but I was also handed a letter of businesses i was to not visit while there. Stupid me being from So Cal asked why. My commander quickly reminded me i was in the south. I was also roughed up by 2 drunk soldiers while walking back from the video store on post. I remember thinkign to myself, won't it be ironic if i enlisted to fight for my country and then am killed by two other military personel while on post stateside. Although i doubt it was intentional they did get the racial slur they used right. Being a "guk" in the south was not too fun.

Back