Additional contract clauses

Otto!

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Given the recent streak of fighters who seem to willingly miss weight and accept a purse cut for the weight advantage (and not having to cut these harder few last pounds), and also given the number who get popped for PEDs, I think that fighters should add these clauses to their contract.

-If opponent misses weight, the opponent who miss weight will start the fight with a one point deduction in addition to giving 25 % of his purse.

-If opponent is found guilty of PED use within 3 months after the fight, then he has to pay 50% of his purse to the clean fighter.

Obviously the current 20% fine is not enough of a deterrent for making weight. The PED clause would carry stronger consequence than just a suspension, as some guys only fight once a year anyways.

Harsh clauses, but if you willingly break the rules you have no one to blame but yourself. Sure some guys are going to still do it and hope they don’t get caught, but they won’t deserve any sympathy when they get these penalties after they signed a contract.

Any fighter objecting to a PED clause would be suspicious...

Do they get to keep all their Reebok money in this dystopian fantasy?

I'm not sure a fighter can decide rules like that - it's not even entirely up to the UFC but rather the athletic commissions.

All fights open weight and no testing and no judges and no time limits

Problem solved

And no referee

I'm not sure a fighter can decide rules like that - it's not even entirely up to the UFC but rather the athletic commissions.
A contract is an agreement between parties. If they agree to it, then I would say they can make it happen.

Having said that, I am not a high level attorney like 80% of sherdoggers.

A contract is an agreement between parties. If they agree to it, then I would say they can make it happen.

I'm a low level attorney and I can tell you that most fighters will get laughed out of the room if their agent offered that to the UFC. Most fighters have 0 leverage. If you would like to give a specific example I can help you understand the legality of agency.

I have never represented a fighter but I did help represent a certain Red Hot Chili Pepper.......

MM vs juiced Brock. Would watch.

tenor.gif

The scores are determined by the judges appointed by the athletic commission. That is completely out of the hands of the UFC. No contract between UFC and their fighters can change those scores.

Given the recent streak of fighters who seem to willingly miss weight and accept a purse cut for the weight advantage (and not having to cut these harder few last pounds), and also given the number who get popped for PEDs, I think that fighters should add these clauses to their contract.

-If opponent misses weight, the opponent who miss weight will start the fight with a one point deduction in addition to giving 25 % of his purse.

-If opponent is found guilty of PED use within 3 months after the fight, then he has to pay 50% of his purse to the clean fighter.

Obviously the current 20% fine is not enough of a deterrent for making weight. The PED clause would carry stronger consequence than just a suspension, as some guys only fight once a year anyways.

Harsh clauses, but if you willingly break the rules you have no one to blame but yourself. Sure some guys are going to still do it and hope they don’t get caught, but they won’t deserve any sympathy when they get these penalties after they signed a contract.

Any fighter objecting to a PED clause would be suspicious...

IT'S PRETTY FUCKING SIMPLE: PAY FIGHTERS LESS.

I guarantee you if he was at risk of getting evicted from his studio apartment, Brian Ortega would have fought Brock Lesnar on 30 seconds notice.

When you're paying these guys enough for them to accumulate savings and hire teams and managers...they're never going to fight when it's an inconvenience.

“-If opponent misses weight, the opponent who miss weight will start the fight with a one point deduction in addition to giving 25 % of his purse.”

The point deduction would really balance things out I think but is that even something that could actually be implemented?

How about this:

Missed weight - 20% purse forfit + no win bonus.

Zero tolerance policy. You miss weight, you move up. But but it’s the first time he missed weight. It’s a key factor to his fricken job

The scores are determined by the judges appointed by the athletic commission. That is completely out of the hands of the UFC. No contract between UFC and their fighters can change those scores.
Good point, thanks mate!

Back