Adidas AIBA Headguard Review

Minowafanatic

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Haven't seen a review of this headguard on the forum so thought I'd do a quick one.

I've had the newer version of this headguard for a few months now, swapping it out occasionally with my Top Ten Avantgarde for sparring and have fought in it. The only noticeable change from the previous model is the closure system. The current model has a dual velcro strap system on top, and dual strap at the back, whilst the older version had a lace-up top and a single strap at the back. I personally don't notice any actual difference between the two when using them.

KatieTaylorAug9Olympics_large.jpg

Cowhide leather with grey hi-tec anti slip Japanese AMARA artificial leather lining. Light weight supaflex 'XL' air cushion foam padding. Leather/velcro strap back closing.

Initial Impressions

As you'd expect, this headguard comes in a variety of sizes with S, M, L and XL, and then the two standard red and blue colour options. My head circumference is 22.75inches and I'm a medium.

The leather used is okay. I don't think this is so important a factor in a headguard so long as it remains lightweight and lasts. The stitching is clean and well done in most places.

Performance & Protection

Adjusting the top and back velcro straps you can get a good fit which stays put when hit. I haven't noticed any difference in the old closure system to this closure system honestly, they both feel the same to me. The chin strap does fit on me just below my chin and I never have an issue with it going too close to my throat or coming up onto my mouth. Really I don't have any kind of fitting issues with this headguard.

It is very light and compact too, although bulkier than the bayfill Top Tens. It's not going to be as protective as the bigger training headguards but does do a decent job especially around the forehead. Vision is practically perfect.

The "Amara" lining feels like suede so is soft, thick and comfortable. It absorbs a lot of sweat so you'll need to be sure to let it dry out after use.

Summary

So basically it's lightweight, offers decent protection and all-round is a good competition headguard, and all of this is expected. The biggest compliment I can give it is that it doesn't once cross my mind in fights or in sparring.

It probably provides very slightly worse protection than the Top Ten Avantgarde and vision too, and is also bigger, and also probably durability because Top Ten bayfill headguards can last a long time. One problem I found with the Top ten bayfill ones though was because it doesn't absorb any liquid (making it really easy to clean), sweat can get in your eyes and also make the headguard slip a little in the later rounds. I do like the Adidas a little more than the AIBA Greenhill headguard, about the same as the Everlast AIBA, but really all the leather AIBA headguards are similar and do a good job.

Pics!

Took a few pics with my phone real quick:

MGsqPC.jpg

^vs. the Top Ten Avantgarde

UrOflv.jpg

^back of the head

klAnGp.jpg

^top of the head

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.

I was thinking of picking one of these up. How do you think it compares to the title aiba headgears?

Great review! I have the older model as well. Agreed with all your points.
To add, as you can see in the pictures, the chin strap is velcro, which I prefer over the metal buckle. Also I wish every headgear had the Amara lining, it's soft, absorbs sweat, and I think it plays a big part in preventing slippage.

good points firstDan!

Thanks for the review.

I was thinking of picking one of these up. How do you think it compares to the title aiba headgears?

I'm in the UK so I've never come across any of the Title USA Boxing competition headguards

For competition I do, because the Top Tens dont absorb any sweat which gets in my eyes.

The Top Ten Olympia is AIBA approved, so therefore you can use it in the USA too

Impulse bought the Adidas AIBA headgear (from last year?) for $35 on eBay. Excited to try it out...

Back