Adults who can't read.

Gottsta love dat BBC.

The BBC brings the ruckus.
Incoming tweet from the goofball POTUS about fake news and that American is so good at reading. Just the best. #1 in reading - america

I don't care how strong you are, or how much money you have. If you are not slow as hell, you should know how to read. Otherwise, it's sad as hell.
It is one of our greatest achievements as a species ffs.

Last edited:
I don't care how strong you are, or how much money you have. If you are not slow as hell, you should know how to read. Otherwise, it's sad as hell.
It is one of our greatest achievement as a species ffs.
That brings up an interesting hypothetical...

How much money would it take for someone to permanently give up their ability to read and write?

1 million? 10 million? 50 million?

That brings up an interesting hypothetical...

How much money would it take for someone to permanently give up their ability to read and write?

1 million? 10 million? 50 million?
Don't know if I could. The feeling of being lost all the time might be to overwhelming.

Oh, they can read and write, just not in English...

<{hughesimpress}>

This was already confirmed to me every time I had to suffer someone call someone else a "looser."

Robert_Harris_-_A_Meeting_of_the_School_Trustees.jpg
Both of you know I cannaw read a word.

I struggle with the shit literacy of my co workers every day.

How the fuck do you get a job that requires a post secondary degree without the ability to write an email that effectively communicates any message at all? Sometimes I see stuff sent to large businesses from our company quoted in their replies and I literally suffer embarrassment for the individual who sent it. Meanwhile they are completely oblivious to the fact they are sending communication on behalf of the company filled with basic spelling and grammatical errors.

I am a tad dyslexic, or some other form of reading/writing impaired; I read/write numbers and letters out of order. Based on the amount of writing required by my job, this could be a big problem. It's not, but I suspect it has to do with me giving a fuck. I think a lot of people just don't care.

My childhood best friend to this day has no idea how to properly use punctuation and cannot spell. His family was poor, had substance abuse problems, and did not make education a priority. He also never had the interest. It has held him back in every facet of his life. He had a chance to become management for a pretty big developer that would have increased his pay significantly and moved him away from straight framing. Everyone thought that he was tailor made for the position and expectations were high. They tried him out for a couple months, but I'm pretty sure it became clear that he couldn't handle the work. Not because he didn't know the job, or couldn't handle the people, but he could not communicate effectively in writing.

He's back to framing 12 hours a day 6 days a week. It's brutal.

Thankfully out of all the things my mother fucked up while she was raising me, teaching me the value of reading/writing was not one of them.

Anyone ever watch "last chance u" on da netflix?? I lost all faith in student athletes after watching that show- Im convinced that a majority of NFL players are illiterate. The damn inmates are running the prison.

My brother is awful at spelling and I assume reading too. I didn't know it though until my buddy hired him and he talked to me about it. He's working a good blue collar job now for the company my dad works for but I'm honestly worried for him if something ever happens with that.

Anyone actually watch the video? I saw a different version they on their TV channel yesterday which had a longer interview with the expert guy at the end, and interestingly he had the same opinion as the illiterate women they interviewed.

Both blamed the problems on special ed classes, saying it lowers expectations and might make the kids feel better in the short-term, ultimately is detrimental towards producing contributing members of society.

Anyone actually watch the video? I saw a different version they on their TV channel yesterday which had a longer interview with the expert guy at the end, and interestingly he had the same opinion as the illiterate women they interviewed.

Both blamed the problems on special ed classes, saying it lowers expectations and might make the kids feel better in the short-term, ultimately is detrimental towards producing contributing members of society.

Many years ago the parents of mentally retarded children started suing school systems because they wanted their children in the same class with all of the other students. It is counterproductive because they don't learn in the same way and fall far behind quickly. Do they slow the class down to accommodate the slow learners? They need teachers who can teach these children.

The government also started basing school system funding on overall student test scores. Private schools can take the brightest, most motivated students and reject the slow learners and any with behavior problems. The voucher program has exacerbated that as people can take their children out of inner city schools and send them to private school and the school district has to pay a certain amount for that. This leaves all of the children with lower test scores in the inner city schools. As a result of the lower scores, they receive less government money so they have to have larger classes with fewer teachers.

I'm surprised when adults can't swim or drive or cook. you would think people would learn skills that can keep you alive like cooking and swimming.

Last edited:
The BBC has an article about America having 16 million people who can't read.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41754308/the-americans-who-can-t-read

I had assumed since my childhood in the 1950s that everybody can read. I soon found out that they can't. Even them I thought it might be people older than me who didn't get an opportunity to go to school. My parents and grandparents were avid readers.

Some can read a little but not very well and can't always understand what they read. There are people who graduated from high school that can't read. Even some college students read at grade school levels as late as 2016 when this study was done.

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...-athletes-cant-read-get-death-threats/356880/

In 1986 the government instituted the Commercial Drivers License. Every truck driver had to take the test. The written version had 4 possible answers for each question. It became obvious that there were truck drivers who couldn't read. In their infinite wisdom, the government supplied an audible version of the test for people who couldn't read. This was a true false test so there was a 50/50 chance of choosing the correct answer. The new law also required drivers to complete more forms which they can't do if they can't read.

We had 2 truck drivers who couldn't read and one that could barely read. We had a mechanic and some workers who couldn't fill out forms. Do you know or have you worked with anyone who can't read?

Reading and writing is important.

When I worked as a motorcycle salesman back in '04-06 I became aware for the first time just how many people can't read. The first thing was how our sales manager insisted on doing all the paperwork. That didn't sit well with me as that paperwork is how you know what your commission will be so I called shenanigans. Turns out he got into the habit from most of the salesman not knowing how to read. Then I noticed a lot of people who came in to buy bikes had someone with them to read shit for them. These were adults, with fucking jobs.

When I started running my own business I had people fill out the application in person, in a room by themselves and they had to leave their phone with the office staff. It was an easy way to make sure they could read and write.

Worked with an executive whose e-mails looked like they were written by a 5 year old. I don't understand how he got the job to be honest. We would pass his e-mails around the office, joking around trying to figure out what he was saying. He always added a line in his e-mails saying "sent from mobile" or some shit, yet I'd see him send the e-mail from a laptop.
He was dumbing it down for you.

Back