Advice to bring my legs to acceptable levels

Not in comparison to the back muscles.

They don't have to be equal by any means. They just need to do their job. Abs in this instance stabilize the spine against sheer forces so the prime movers can move the body segment and limbs (hams/glutes/quads/erector etc).

Background: Under 30. 6'2, 190lbs. Trained in BJJ for about 10 years, still train 2-3x per week.

I have always had badly underdeveloped quads/hamstrings/glutes. I have wanted to work on this for a while, and for Christmas, my wife got me what I wanted: A 7 foot bar/squat rack/plates.

I'm not looking to become some sort of elite lifter, and more importantly, I want to minimize any chance of fucking up my back. My only goal is to get my quads/hamstrings/glutes to a decent level. (Which, we'll define as 10 squat reps at 250 pounds.)

So, sherdoggers, what say you in terms of getting me to my goal? Are squats alone enough to properly develop my legs, or should I be throwing anything else in? What should I be aiming for in frequency (every other day too much?) How many sets/reps should I be aiming for?

-Clueless.
There's a lot of variations but good old squats are probably your best bet. Maybe try a barbell program like starting strength or strong lifts... some deadlifts and other non leg stuff would be good to work too. Or if you really only want to do squats, start kinda low and squat every /2-3 days and add 5 lbs per session

Background: Under 30. 6'2, 190lbs. Trained in BJJ for about 10 years, still train 2-3x per week.

I have always had badly underdeveloped quads/hamstrings/glutes. I have wanted to work on this for a while, and for Christmas, my wife got me what I wanted: A 7 foot bar/squat rack/plates.

I'm not looking to become some sort of elite lifter, and more importantly, I want to minimize any chance of fucking up my back. My only goal is to get my quads/hamstrings/glutes to a decent level. (Which, we'll define as 10 squat reps at 250 pounds.)

So, sherdoggers, what say you in terms of getting me to my goal? Are squats alone enough to properly develop my legs, or should I be throwing anything else in? What should I be aiming for in frequency (every other day too much?) How many sets/reps should I be aiming for?

-Clueless.
One thing though. If you're doing barbell stuff alone at home it's easy to develop bad form so be careful on form. Start pretty low on the weight and get the form down before you start going up too much on weight, don't want to injure yourself

And don't sweat all the guys on here that act like if you don't squat like 500 lbs then you're a loser. Everyone starts somewhere, just doing it is important

...And don't sweat all the guys on here that act like if you don't squat like 500 lbs then you're a loser...
Don't be silly, nobody here says that.

However, if your excuse is "I have a job, so I don't have time to work out..."

Bump.

I can pretty comfortably now do 10x185lbs. Can't say I'm unhappy with the progress.
Congrats on improving! Are you gaining some size on your lower body as well?

Congrats on improving! Are you gaining some size on your lower body as well?
No, I haven't noticed any physical changes. Increased size has never been the goal.

Although, visually, my legs have never looked small, because I have abnormally large calves. (Which, I presume is related to my glutes/quads/hamstrings being extremely weak and underdeveloped.)

Basic squats, throw in some deads to build the glutes and hams. I love the uphill running and I absolutely love the plyo/jump squats done with resistance bands. You can rig up the bands pretty easily. One thing I love about the plyo stuff is you can use a pretty light weight but still develop speed and power.

Although, visually, my legs have never looked small, because I have abnormally large calves. (Which, I presume is related to my glutes/quads/hamstrings being extremely weak and underdeveloped.)
GOAT genetics detected

Back