After all these years and GTA is still the best open world game on console

What is the GOAT open-world game on consoles?

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Just Cause 2

• Saint's Row IV

• Tom Clancy's The Division

• Watch Dogs

• Total voters
Yes, and by quite a large margin I'd imagine.

SA is in GOAT talks. IV was good, but I think most GTA players agree that it was severely lacking in the game play department, in terms of variety. Lets also not forgot just how shitty the driving was in IV either.

Anyways, I think a distinction should be made between "Open World Sandbox", and "Open World RPG". I think both GTA and ES are the best in those respective categories.
I think GTA & Elder Scrolls should be separate because they are 2 different types of games. How do you compare a city with a fantasy world?

I'm playing GTA SA and it still holds up. I think SA and Red Dead Redemption are better open world games than GTA V or at least I like them more.
I'd agree with this. Excited to see what the next red dead is like

Yeah, I was looking at those games, too. Isn't Brotherhood considered the best of them-- especially in an open world context? I thought only Black Flag was more liked for its freedom, but I was under the impression it didn't receive the same acclaim or was as loved as the II - Brotherhood games were.

Brotherhood was a pretty great game, but I would put Black Flag above it. It had much more a variety than Brotherhood, or Revelations after it.

Yeah, I was looking at those games, too. Isn't Brotherhood considered the best of them-- especially in an open world context? I thought only Black Flag was more liked for its freedom, but I was under the impression it didn't receive the same acclaim or was as loved as the II - Brotherhood games were.

Should be Black Flag, or maybe Origins now.

Definitely not 3. I like that game but many hate it. Brotherhood is a good choice too. All the AC games have terrific open worlds, it's the broken scripting and repetitive gameplay that lets them down.

New Vegas and the Witcher 3 are tops for me because of their intricate supporting/side characters with quests/stories that are more interesting and impactful than most main plots of triple A titles. I'm a total ADHD case most of the time with games, hopping from one to the other, but those two games specifically, with Oblivion trailing slightly behind, captured my attention like no other. Building settlements with mods in Fallout 4 hooked me badly too.

Last edited:
Is the inclusion of ACIII in the poll a typo? Should that have been II? Not many people cared for III. I know I sure didn’t.

I voted for New Vegas. I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Did one play through with all the DLC, took about 135 hours iirc.

I don't really mind Bethesdas style of open world either, but I thought Skyrim got boring quick. Felt really exciting the first 30 hours, but fuck it got boring for me couldn't put in much more after that. All the dungeons were pretty much the same and kinda lame so I lost the desire to explore those pretty quick.

Liked fallout 4 more, I played through it in about 80 hours on "survival" when it first came out, which was just really insane bullet sponges till they fixed it. The final parts of the story were kinda boring and the last 10 hours felt like a real slog. Not bad considering I finished most things in the game and lots of sidequests, didn't like the building aspect though I didn't buy minecraft I bought Fallout 4. Some parts were a step back from new Vegas as well imo.

Gta 5 open world feels very lively and just unlike anything you see in other open world games. Gameplay is very smooth and it just does everything right in my opinion. I have a feeling GTA 6 is going to be one of those games where you're going to be able to go into lots of buildings. Kind of where they attempt to build the map up and not just out with lots of empty travel space and a "big" map.

My favorites are probably

GTAIV
Oblivion
Red Dead Redemption

I think GTA IV's world is highly underrated. I played the living shit out of that game right until GTA V dropped. I could see some giant differences in GTAV that make it vastly inferior to IV. The ai is absolute shit in comparison to IV.

Cops dont chase you in near a dynamic fashion as IV
Cops are called on you, no matter where you are
Cops have god like accuracy
npcs get pissed, or run away when you get near them, people did so much more in IV
Gunshots dont impact people in memorable ways like in IV
and about 1000 other little ai things that made the world breath.

I still love V, but it's stripped won in some critical areas that make dicking around in the world a tedium.
Now compare it to SA. The police were better AND you could do small things IV didn't have BUT V brought back!! like properly being able to smash up cars with bats!

Surprised at the RDR votes. That game was as desolate as they came.

Now compare it to SA. The police were better AND you could do small things IV didn't have BUT V brought back!! like properly being able to smash up cars with bats!

IV's amount of ai complexity was far beyond SA, and far more robust compared to V.

Surprised at the RDR votes. That game was as desolate as they came.

You gotta give it a bit of a pass on that. It was the old west after all. For what it was though, they filled it with some interesting open world activities, and it never felt "empty". It was appropriately designed.

You want a desolate open world? Check out MGSV. Now that was a completely pointless open world setting. There is literally nothing to do outside of the strongholds. Oh' wait, no. That's not entirely true. You can collect plants.

Its impressive but the first Saints Row had the best IMO

Gang wars were so damn fun, and you could actually cause mayhem without being detected instantly by the police.

GTA V was such a chore with the police IMO

You gotta give it a bit of a pass on that. It was the old west after all. For what it was though, they filled it with some interesting open world activities, and it never felt "empty". It was appropriately designed.

You want a desolate open world? Check out MGSV. Now that was a completely pointless open world setting. There is literally nothing to do outside of the strongholds. Oh' wait, no. That's not entirely true. You can collect plants.

Just Cause 2 another desolate, fake looking open world that gets tons of love

Just Cause 2 another desolate, fake looking open world that gets tons of love

Yeah, I never understood the love for that game. I guess much like MGSV, it deserves some credit for the level of creativity it allows the player, but unlike MGSV, I never found the game itself, or gameplay all that refined in JC. It feels like an incomplete tech demo.

Oblivion for me, sunk hours into that bad boy!

Its impressive but the first Saints Row had the best IMO

Gang wars were so damn fun, and you could actually cause mayhem without being detected instantly by the police.

GTA V was such a chore with the police IMO

I'd also nominate Saints Row 2 for its master class in arcade physics and unique shading/animation.

....And did anyone notice how incredible the writing was?

You could fly planes upside down with pinpoint sensitive precision while blasting Vivaldi's 4 Seasons and other select classical tracks via a customizable playlist system and I'll never stop hailing that moment as one of the best times I've ever had playing any open world game, ever

My mates walked in on me repeating the experience on several occasions and had no idea what the fuck i was doing or what I was getting out of it

Skyrim and Saints Row 2 & 3. Could never fully get into Red Dead, Fallout, or GTA for what ever reason.

Really looking forward to Crackdown 3 coming out this spring; the original was really basic but loads of fun and the new one looks very promising

VC was so good.
I think it's still my favorite GTA. It did the perfect balance of making a big world that was still memorable. I knew all the twists and turns of each island, they were all familiar and I had memories in all of them (mostly murdering Haitians with my car). San Andreas was just so big, it really felt like a chore sometimes getting here or there. The secret to a memorable open world is substance, something a lot of games are forgetting these days.

That said, my vote is for Red Dead Redemption, mostly because I am a sucker for a Western motif. The first time I trotted my horse down the Rio was a surreal moment in my gaming career.

Back