After Cormier vs Lesnar.. Tournament to crown new champ?

TrevorLahey

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
DC claims Lesnar is his last fight in the UFC and realistically does anyone see Lesnar sticking around to defend if he wins? So I'm hoping Cormier wins and vacates the belt, and what better way to crown a new champion than a Heavyweight tournament? Stipe, JDS, Ngannou, Overeem, Blaydes, Volkov, Ivanov, possibly Cain? Maybe Lewis and Oleynik? or Hunt and Tuivasa?

What do you think sherdicks? Would Dana White go for something like this? Would you be interested? I think it's a pretty open field and would be pretty exciting.

The UFC doesn’t have the stones to set up an official tournament <{pranko}> it would be awesome but it’s a scheduling nightmare in this the inured/USADA era.

DC claims Lesnar is his last fight in the UFC and realistically does anyone see Lesnar sticking around to defend if he wins? So I'm hoping Cormier wins and vacates the belt, and what better way to crown a new champion than a Heavyweight tournament? Stipe, JDS, Ngannou, Overeem, Blaydes, Volkov, Ivanov, possibly Cain? Maybe Lewis and Oleynik? or Hunt and Tuivasa?

What do you think sherdicks? Would Dana White go for something like this? Would you be interested? I think it's a pretty open field and would be pretty exciting.
No tournament needed. Brrrrrrrraaaaaccckkkkkkkkk Lesssssssssnar will win by making Cormier take a ride to suplex city then finishing him with a kimura.

Tournaments in the modern day are extremely difficult to execute, and take a long time.

i dont see the ufc doing a tournament. i do see stipe getting a shot at the vacant title, assuming he doesnt lose before dc retires. and since volkov was the backup to stipe v dc, he would be in line to face stipe (assuming he doesnt lose beforehand, either).

Dana would definitely not be interested, but I sure as hell would be. I really like this idea for weight classes where the champ vacates the belt (either for retirement or a change in weight class), unless there is a clear top tier, which I don't think there is in HW. When GSP vacated the MW belt there were a clear cut top 3 in Whittaker, Romero and Rockhold so a tournament wouldn't be necessary in a situation like that. But if Max were to drop the belt I think a 145 tournament would be fun as well, with top contenders like Ortega, Edgar, Aldo & Stephens all having some what of a claim for a TS - especially with Max gone. This is all wishful thinking but the HW division could definitely use a jolt and a tournament would be the perfect way to increase interest IMO. Nice job @TrevorLahey

Dana would definitely not be interested, but I sure as hell would be. I really like this idea for weight classes where the champ vacates the belt (either for retirement or a change in weight class), unless there is a clear top tier, which I don't think there is in HW. When GSP vacated the MW belt there were a clear cut top 3 in Whittaker, Romero and Rockhold so a tournament wouldn't be necessary in a situation like that. But if Max were to drop the belt I think a 145 tournament would be fun as well, with top contenders like Ortega, Edgar, Aldo & Stephens all having some what of a claim for a TS - especially with Max gone. This is all wishful thinking but the HW division could definitely use a jolt and a tournament would be the perfect way to increase interest IMO. Nice job @TrevorLahey

Yeah man I agree about the Featherweight division, that division is stacked they could put on an amazing tournament to crown a new champion if Holloway is done there. I also think tournaments is the best way to avoid fighters 'ducking' or picking and choosing who they fight. It's pretty hard to duck someone when matched up in the bracket hahaha.

Yeah man I agree about the Featherweight division, that division is stacked they could put on an amazing tournament to crown a new champion if Holloway is done there. I also think tournaments is the best way to avoid fighters 'ducking' or picking and choosing who they fight. It's pretty hard to duck someone when matched up in the bracket hahaha.
Agreed. I was also thinking about the Pride era - it seemed like all the top guys fought each other. constantly. The current UFC cream of the crop doesn't seem to fight each other quite as often... guys get skyrocketed to the top of divisions if the UFC thinks they are marketable. A guy like Covington has only fought Maia and RDA (of the top guys) - there are 7 others in the top 10 right now and he got a TS after one top 10 win (and Stun Gun - currently #15). Garbrandt has only fought Cruz & Dillashaw at the top of BW - would love to see him vs. Assuncao/Moraes/Rivera/Lineker. There are plenty of examples like this. Your proposal would result in the top dogs having slightly less impressive records, but the respectable wins would pile up and the fights would be excellent.

They should but won't.
Dana will just end up giving whoever he likes best personally a chance at the belt.

Unlikely but it'd be fun. Just taking the top 8 guys, and trying to avoid rematches:

Miocic vs Volkov
Lewis vs Overeem
Blaydes vs JDS
Ngannou vs Hunt

I'd be down for a tournament, but only a 4 man tourney because both HW and LHW actually have either a top contender or multiple who already deserve a TS.

HW:
- Blaydes
- Stipe
- Volkov
- Another top 5 (Cain if he returns, Lewis if he gets a big win in the meantime, JDS if he gets a big win in the meantime, maybe even Tuivasa if he gets a big win)

LHW (assuming Jones is still suspended and Rumble stays retired):
- Gus/Volkan winner
- Shogun if he beats Smith this weekend
- Latifi/Glover winner
- Jan if he gets another win

LHW is tricker due to Gus, Latifi and Manuwa's bromance. Would be so much easier with Rumble, Davis and Bader still in the UFC.

The UFC doesn’t have the stones to set up an official tournament <{pranko}> it would be awesome but it’s a scheduling nightmare in this the inured/USADA era.
The first couple of times it'll be tricky since many fighters will still be playing stupid games. Thus, UFC can setup extra brackets for lower ranked guys. Therefore, if a fighter mucks around he immediately gets dropped by the wayside and the lower ranked fighters are in the main brackets instead.
When the higher ranked fighters see that they miss out on the higher pay from advancing in the tournament, they'd think twice about messing around.
I personally can see it working out great if it is planned out properly well in advance with contingency plans put in place.

Fuck yes. Openweight GP.

16-Man Tourney. Always held on the same cards. 8 fights (undercard + main card), then 4 (main card), then 2 (co-main and main), then the final fight to crown the champ.

A fighter pulls out for any reason and they are out of the tournament. An alternate takes their place.

It would be fucking awesome. $50,000 bonus for any finish throughout the tournament.

Winner of the Openweight GP gets the strap and a $1,000,000 cheque (in addition to contracted fight purses, to incentivise against pulling out and to motivate the boys to get after it).

They could market the fuck out of this.

Last edited:
I'd be down for a tournament, but only a 4 man tourney because both HW and LHW actually have either a top contender or multiple who already deserve a TS.

HW:
- Blaydes
- Stipe
- Volkov
- Another top 5 (Cain if he returns, Lewis if he gets a big win in the meantime, JDS if he gets a big win in the meantime, maybe even Tuivasa if he gets a big win)

LHW (assuming Jones is still suspended and Rumble stays retired):
- Gus/Volkan winner
- Shogun if he beats Smith this weekend
- Latifi/Glover winner
- Jan if he gets another win

LHW is tricker due to Gus, Latifi and Manuwa's bromance. Would be so much easier with Rumble, Davis and Bader still in the UFC.
I agree a 4 man tournament would be better because it would get the division moving again in a more timely manner. Bellator's GP is taking forever and the championship fight will most likely be February or so given the current pace. A 4 man tourney is basically like having 2 number one contender fights and then the winners for the title. Short and sweet but still fun and different.

Edit: Let's convince Rumble to return at HW and throw him in there with Stipe, Blaydes & Volkov. That would be awesome!

Sounds like a logistical nightmare

No tournament needed. Brrrrrrrraaaaaccckkkkkkkkk Lesssssssssnar will win by making Cormier take a ride to suplex city then finishing him with a kimura.

I will happily bet a significant amount of money against you on this fight.

Back