Aggressive bjj styles

cheachea

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In your opinion what practitioners do you think of as having a more aggressive style of bjj ?

For me I would say Ralph Gracie has the most aggressive style. He just gets right in there and goes right for the kill. No playing around:

Also Ryan Gracie:

Marcelo Garcia, Erberth Santos, Dillon Danis, Rustam Chsiev.

Marcelo Garcia comes to mind.

Davi Ramos is one I haven't seen listed yet but he's a top 3 most aggressive grappler of the 2010's in my opinion.

Suprised nobody mentioned Palhares. Prime Paulo Filho was pretty aggressive as well.

Marcelo Garcia, Erberth Santos, Dillon Danis, Rustam Chsiev.
If your gonna mention Chsiev I gotta throw in Satoru Kitaoka, Iminari, and Aoki. I know they have the shooto background but they are bjj guys too. Especially Aoki who's lineage goes back to the very beginning of bjj in Japan.

If your gonna mention Chsiev I gotta throw in Satoru Kitaoka, Iminari, and Aoki. I know they have the shooto background but they are bjj guys too. Especially Aoki who's lineage goes back to the very beginning of bjj in Japan.
Aoki is one I always forget because once he got into MMA he stopped doing as many sub grappling and BJJ competitions. But yeah his style is hyper aggressive. He's still got it too. I thought he gave Garry Tonon more problems in their match than anyone I've seen face Garry recently besides JT Torres and maybe the ADCC Vagner Rocha match.

Aoki is one I always forget because once he got into MMA he stopped doing as many sub grappling and BJJ competitions. But yeah his style is hyper aggressive. He's still got it too. I thought he gave Garry Tonon more problems in their match than anyone I've seen face Garry recently besides JT Torres and maybe the ADCC Vagner Rocha match.
Yeah man. Those Japanese guys I mentioned, as far as I know, have trained together a whole lot and they all have a super aggressive style. Actually, they were all ahead of their time with the leglock game that they were actually winning high level MMA fights with. Fast forward 5-10 years and leglocks are the weapon of choice for so many top grapplers.

Yeah man. Those Japanese guys I mentioned, as far as I know, have trained together a whole lot and they all have a super aggressive style. Actually, they were all ahead of their time with the leglock game that they were actually winning high level MMA fights with. Fast forward 5-10 years and leglocks are the weapon of choice for so many top grapplers.
Great point in the leg locks. Aoki also was the guy that came up with the darce choke and spread it through japan. He wasn’t the first but he still came up with it on his own. He called it the spinning choke. And I think he was the first to come up with the Japanese necktie.

Creative grappler. He was the first guy I remember using 10th planet signature moves at that level. Not sure what all he learned from Eddie or not but he had good twisters, gogoplatas, stuff like that.

I knew I was opening up a can of worms when I mentioned someone who wasn't a pure BJJ guy but it had to be done. Too many good submission wrestling guys out there.

These days i've come to appreciate Caio Tera. A lot of times in top competitions, between top competitors, submissions are rare. When you see someone who's masterfully dominant, so often its through like a masterful sweep, or takedown, or even pass if you're feeling spicy... but actual finishes, rare. Watching Caio is a treat however, because so often, he doesn't just beat other top competitors, he puts them away.

marcelo garcias style was very aggressive i think he was super successful due to his ability to create massive scrambles and catch necks during them with his guillotines especially and back "strangles"

Marcelo Garcia comes to mind.

Davi Ramos is one I haven't seen listed yet but he's a top 3 most aggressive grappler of the 2010's in my opinion.

Ramos doesn't get the attention he deserves.

Ramos doesn't get the attention he deserves.
He definiutely doesn't. I have no proof of this but in 2015 after I saw his trials wins I picked him to win ADCC and I thought he had a decent shot to beat Lepri or Sousa or Durinho in the finals based on him being a more robust and athletic no gi guy. I did not expect him to flying armbar Lepri though. I thought he may win on takedown points or something. I even won some money on a friendly bet on that prediction which was nice.

Last edited:
I'm gonna mention Jon Calestine. He's mostly a heel hooker and back attacker and trains mostly with Eddie Cummings and he is ultra fast and aggressive.He rips through comps and tore through EBI 15 on less than 2 day's notice.Check him out if you're into heel hooks because instead of playing the trendy inside position guards he plays a lot of reverse de la riva.

Last edited:
He definiutely doesn't. I have no proof of this but in 2015 after I saw his trials wins I picked him to win ADCC and I thought he had a decent shot to beat Lepri or Sousa or Durinho in the finals based on him being a more robust and athletic no gi guy. I did not expect him to flying armbar Lepri though. I thought he may win on takedown points or something. I even won some money on a friendly bet on that prediction which was nice.

He put an armbar on Jeff Monson that was nuts. Fastest armbar I’ve ever seen and broke Jeff’s arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back