Ahead of inaugural season, PFL institutes its own uniform policy

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Screen_Shot_2018_05_11_at_3.22.53_PM.1526065324.png
PFL

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/5/...-season-pfl-institutes-its-own-uniform-policy
Below are the details, according to a deck that was distributed to fighters and their camps in March and subsequently obtained by MMAFighting.com:

Screen_Shot_2018_05_11_at_2.36.58_PM.png

*why are they doing this crap?
*only 2 sponsors allowed to fighters plus no banners? Why? That’s how this guys make $$$$

To sell merch. They dangle 1 mil in front of the fighters faces but will do what they can to recoup their costs.

Hopefully, the fighters don't just get black and white shorts like the UFC did back in 2015.

I mean at least they're getting SOME sponsorship opportunities.

so its not a company making the uniforms like Reebok paying them? Its just PFL giving them a white or red shirt and saying you can have 2 sponsors on it when before you used to be able to have 10?

If it was Nike or whoever making it and paying them and then you got 2 sponsors of your own that would be fine. Thats what UFC/Reebok deal should be.

If UFC/Reebok deal had that nobody would have complained. But this is just limiting them to two sponsors and not getting anything for wearing the uniform.

But yeah the million dollars over the course of the tournament is the the selling point.

I like how everyone thinks there is this mystery line of sponsors just waiting to pay fighters $10,000 to advertise on them.

When MMA was super hot a lot of odd ball companies tried throwing money at the fighters for sponsorship. But today is a different landscape in MMA and it isn't that easy or as lucrative unless you are a big name. Hell, about 5 years or so ago a fighter from Bellator, fighting for the championship belt was on Sherdog looking for sponsors. Grant he didn't have much of name, but either do a lot of these fighters.

I think what PFL is doing is smart. I'm sure they also have to sign off on the sponsors. Maybe down the road it will lead to a couple major sponsors sponsoring the red fighters and a couple major sponsors sponsoring the blue fighters. Then divide it out on some scale.

Last edited:
I like how everyone thinks there is this mystery line of sponsors just waiting to pay fighters $10,000 to advertise on them.

When in MMA was super hot a lot of odd ball companies tried throwing money at the fighters for sponsorship. But today is a different landscape in MMA and it isn't that easy or as lucrative unless you are a big name. Hell, about 5 years or so ago a fighter from Bellator, fighting for the championship belt was on Sherdog looking for sponsors. Grant he didn't have much of name, but either do a lot of these fighters.

I think what PFL is doing is smart. I'm sure they also have to sign off on the sponsors. Maybe down the road it will lead to a couple major sponsors sponsoring the red fighters and a couple major sponsors sponsoring the blue fighters. Then divide it out on some scale.

Brendan Schaub said he made more per fight from sponsors than he did in purses and he was hardly a superstar or even a notable fighter

Hopefully, the fighters don't just get black and white shorts like the UFC did back in 2015.

I mean at least they're getting SOME sponsorship opportunities.

But they arent getting anything for wearing the uniform right?

Brendan Schaub said he made more per fight from sponsors than he did in purses and he was hardly a superstar or even a notable fighter

He was also in the UFC and it has been almost 4 years since he fought. Schaub is also very hard working guy as you can see from after his UFC career he has been able to keep his name out there. So I'm sure he busted his ass getting his sponsorship and good for him.

No doubt some guys can cash in, but it is far from the norm and no one is going to be paying much to PFL guys. They've had a hard time getting over 175K tuning into WSOF on NBCSN.

He has made a pretty decent career out of his time with UFC and after. He clearly has more marketability than your average fighter.

The uniform is crap. Looks like cheap tennis gear

Condom Depot and Dynamic Fastener back in MMA, yo

Back