AKA Thailand

Relentless chase

The one and only
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone ever been? got any experiences you wanna share if so? I'm thinking about heading out sometime later this summer and just wanting to plan ahead. I'm thinking on staying about 3 months at least, just going out and getting in peak, physical shape, and seeing what life is like on the Island for awhile. I'm all about traveling and adventure and I think for most of any hardcore trainers/ or fighters, training in Thailand is a dream come true.

I'm looking at AKA Thailand simply because I've always liked Mike Swick, I've trained with some AKA fighters years back (so I know AKA's training routine) it's a world class training facility with just about everything you could want or need, it also is near the beautiful Rawai beach in Phuket which is some of the most gorgeous scenery you could ask for. AKA Thailand is also one of the higher end facilities in all of Thailand (based on vids and pics) and it's a lot more modernized, which I like.

I'm simply going here for fighter training, not to bang any Thai girls or anything or just anything out of the ordinary, but I would like to know if Phuket has a safe environment to live in, what the night life is like, and most of all, how intense the training is there mostly because I'd say it stays hot and humid there which is good IG for shedding off those extra lbs.. anyway, just would like some feedback. I know it's gonna be a costly trip, so that's why I want to know everything ahead of time so I know what to expect and do when the time comes.

Also, I've been told that it'd be best to avoid Patong especially during the night, so I'm just wanting to know about Rawai and Chalong.

I went there for 1 session on my last day of my lad's trip. After dropping 8kg in 2 weeks of partying hard every night i woke up at 7am after getting to bed at 5 for their 8am class. It was pretty good class in the jungle. I felt like i was gonna die after half an hiur but the feeling passed and i was able to keep up for the next hour and a half (class goes from 8am to 10am in morning) the trainers are good and they are mostly thai locals which is cool. Everyone is pretty nice especially the reception desk workers..and the trainers will tell you what you need to do right or what u got wrong.

The class i went to started with some padwork for a bit then bags then we got in the ring and did some drills the trainers told us then bags again and then it waa everyone on the mat as a massive group doing bodyweight exercises and stretches. My memory's a bit fuzzy so i mightve left something out but that was the general gist of the muay thai class. The bjj and wrestling/mma stuff they had going on seemed good too but i only watched that. All in all it was a cool place to train at even though i only did the 1 sesh as a hungover tourist.

I went there for 1 session on my last day of my lad's trip. After dropping 8kg in 2 weeks of partying hard every night i woke up at 7am after getting to bed at 5 for their 8am class. It was pretty good class in the jungle. I felt like i was gonna die after half an hiur but the feeling passed and i was able to keep up for the next hour and a half (class goes from 8am to 10am in morning) the trainers are good and they are mostly thai locals which is cool. Everyone is pretty nice especially the reception desk workers..and the trainers will tell you what you need to do right or what u got wrong.

The class i went to started with some padwork for a bit then bags then we got in the ring and did some drills the trainers told us then bags again and then it waa everyone on the mat as a massive group doing bodyweight exercises and stretches. My memory's a bit fuzzy so i mightve left something out but that was the general gist of the muay thai class. The bjj and wrestling/mma stuff they had going on seemed good too but i only watched that. All in all it was a cool place to train at even though i only did the 1 sesh as a hungover tourist.

Do pros and ammys train together during the MT class? do you know or?

Was it fairly humid during the MT class?

Anyone ever been? got any experiences you wanna share if so? I'm thinking about heading out sometime later this summer and just wanting to plan ahead. I'm thinking on staying about 3 months at least, just going out and getting in peak, physical shape, and seeing what life is like on the Island for awhile. I'm all about traveling and adventure and I think for most of any hardcore trainers/ or fighters, training in Thailand is a dream come true.

I'm looking at AKA Thailand simply because I've always liked Mike Swick, I've trained with some AKA fighters years back (so I know AKA's training routine) it's a world class training facility with just about everything you could want or need, it also is near the beautiful Rawai beach in Phuket which is some of the most gorgeous scenery you could ask for. AKA Thailand is also one of the higher end facilities in all of Thailand (based on vids and pics) and it's a lot more modernized, which I like.

I'm simply going here for fighter training, not to bang any Thai girls or anything or just anything out of the ordinary, but I would like to know if Phuket has a safe environment to live in, what the night life is like, and most of all, how intense the training is there mostly because I'd say it stays hot and humid there which is good IG for shedding off those extra lbs.. anyway, just would like some feedback. I know it's gonna be a costly trip, so that's why I want to know everything ahead of time so I know what to expect and do when the time comes.

Also, I've been told that it'd be best to avoid Patong especially during the night, so I'm just wanting to know about Rawai and Chalong.

i have an aquaintance that trained there for a few weeks. His skill level was pretty good, not bad, but not great. I really dont know much about the gym, from what I have seen on social media it seems a legit place and I wouldnt have any reason to doubt it. But for me at least, I would rather train at a thai gym in thailand, than at american kickboxing academy while in thailad.

Do pros and ammys train together during the MT class? do you know or?

Was it fairly humid during the MT class?

Its really humid. It felt good training in the open air in the jungle with no shirt and muay thai shorts on though.

Yeah the class i did was all skill levels there was some monsters doing it. I think the pros mainly do their own sessions with trainers though not too sure you can always ask the guy at the desk

i have an aquaintance that trained there for a few weeks. His skill level was pretty good, not bad, but not great. I really dont know much about the gym, from what I have seen on social media it seems a legit place and I wouldnt have any reason to doubt it. But for me at least, I would rather train at a thai gym in thailand, than at american kickboxing academy while in thailad.
Yea man I feel you on that, like totally. I've also thought of Tiger Muay Thai, but I think it's more MMA based much like AKA is.

It would be awesome traveling around to Yokkao and get some private sessions in with Saenchai, what an honor that would be.

Have you ever trained in Thailand before?

Yea man I feel you on that, like totally. I've also thought of Tiger Muay Thai, but I think it's more MMA based much like AKA is.

It would be awesome traveling around to Yokkao and get some private sessions in with Saenchai, what an honor that would be.

Have you ever trained in Thailand before?

I havent had the opportunity to make it out to thailand, i have too many responsibilities at home to leave the country.

I have been lucky enough to train with many top level guys in the states, and many top level guys while they were visiting the states. So I have been given thailand knowledge without actually going to thailand. Got to spar saenchai as well.

Theres a ton of gyms to choose from, it really depends on where in thailand you are going. I would seek out a less commerical gym than Tiger Muay Thai.

this website should help you

https://muaythaicampsthailand.com/

Another falange gym that tries to be like Tiger with their cheapness and shitting on customers training. Friendly Thais (bit disorganised though) unfriendly Kazakhstanies, and useless receptionists.

Maybe its changed since summer of 2015, but I wouldn't go back. Even Mark Hunt looked disappointed lol

Another falange gym that tries to be like Tiger with their cheapness and shitting on customers training. Friendly Thais (bit disorganised though) unfriendly Kazakhstanies, and useless receptionists.

Maybe its changed since summer of 2015, but I wouldn't go back. Even Mark Hunt looked disappointed lol
You didn't go around Swick's camp for UFC 189 right? you don't think that could've been why it was like that?

Idk I was just looking throughout the web and saw tons of reviews on it, mixed reviews tbh, but more good then bad and that's why I resorted to posting here.

Was the town of Rawai an exceptional place to live for a short time?

And when you say disorganized, do you mean the way they do their training? not getting around to everyone during class?

@Relentless chase, It was after but I believe Mike was still in the States.

Reception/Reservations failed to organise pick up for me at the airport.
Waited an hour for a taxi that never showed, complained and the girl just shrugged it off (no apology, no shit given)
Also the accommodation the recommended was shit as and pricey to (The View Rawada or something)

The Ajarn (Muay Thai Head Chief) was sleeping with the Russian girl fighter, and got kicked out because wife came and caused a scene. Training was a bit all over the place, when it got a bit wet with rain (wasn't even bad). They kept stopping the warm up to take us indoors, then back out... then back in lol

Saturday training they take you up to that cape (forgot the name) for some hill running followed by a easy boxercise workout in front of tourists to promote the gym (Like WTF seriously)

Rawai is nice but in that area, I would rather go Sinbi or Eagle.

If its MMA you're after then Top Team is the way to go.

Waited an hour for a taxi that never showed, complained and the girl just shrugged it off (no apology, no shit given)
Also the accommodation the recommended was shit as and pricey to (The View Rawada or something)

The Ajarn (Muay Thai Head Chief) was sleeping with the Russian girl fighter, and got kicked out because wife came and caused a scene. Training was a bit all over the place, when it got a bit wet with rain (wasn't even bad). They kept stopping the warm up to take us indoors, then back out... then back in lol

Saturday training they take you up to that cape (forgot the name) for some hill running followed by a easy boxercise workout in front of tourists to promote the gym (Like WTF seriously)

Well I'm leaning more towards Muay Thai training and doing some BJJ here and there. I know they have Chuwattana there and he's by far one of the best MT trainers in the world and I would love to get some personal sessions in with him.

Did you ever get any personal sessions?

Well I'm leaning more towards Muay Thai training and doing some BJJ here and there. I know they have Chuwattana there and he's by far one of the best MT trainers in the world and I would love to get some personal sessions in with him.

Did you ever get any personal sessions?

Nah, just the group classes. MT 2x a day and MMA once only for just a week, before I got fed up and went back to Tiger. Got the shits with Tiger MT to lol, but they got me a fight booked so I stayed on.

Did they ask for money for the water buffalo???

was just watching some youtube muay thai and I stumbled across this.

AKA looks alot like your regular MT class here in Murica, anyways heres what you can expect.

I would prefer to train somewhere like this

Back