Al Franken probably will have to resign... | Page 42

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by ShoelessRye, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Jack V Savage
    I agree that it's not likely to happen (for a while at least). They should still be better because decency is not about getting rewarded.

2. AnGrYcRoW I've done .... questionable things .

AnGrYcRoW
    I agree with this but I haven't followed The Simpsons in years.... what happened to Flanders lol

A.S. Deep likes this.
  3. Fawlty cussed 'em belt

Fawlty
    What I don't like, but what I will accept, is that the consequence here is not a reflection of values, but political maneuvering. It's a legitimate and smart move, but it's not just. Another way of looking at it is that the immorality of republicans has caused the democrats to remove a good senator from office. And they consider this a victory, because they don't have to give up their senator, who is much worse. They have won this round of moral chicken. So, congratulations, I guess.

Higus, IGIT and AnGrYcRoW like this.
  4. SBJJ Black Belt

SBJJ
    As a father. I would NEVER let my child pose for photos with Joe Biden either

BARNUM likes this.
  5. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    They can be both. They can also be perceived as insincere, which Nanci Pelosi kind of proved, when she defended Conyers one day, and then changed her mind the next day, when the backlash hit. The Dems and Liberals in general have a problem with appearing to be phony.

At the end of the day, regardless of the semantics, like you even said, they've backed themselves into a corner. They jumped on too many virtue signaling bandwagons, and now it's all coming back on them.

If you actually believe people give a shit about any of this, sure. I'll tell you right now though, nobody is going to change their mind and vote Democrat because Al Franken stepped down. They're not going to virtue signal themselves into power.

6. Fawlty cussed 'em belt

Fawlty
    He won't last long.

AnGrYcRoW, Rebound59 and kpt018 like this.
  7. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Jack V Savage
    I think it is about values, though I get your point, too. In a sense, Franken is being made an example of, but the purpose of that is to make a clear statement about the kind of behavior at least liberals will not tolerate.

It's like the ACA battle. It was a big, complicated bill that was easily demonized and had some unpopular elements, and a lot of Democrats were against it initially. But the argument that won out, was, "what's the point of being in politics if your only goal is re-election?" You want to get your people in office so that they can pass laws that make positive change in the country, and if doing so hurts your chance of winning, that's an acceptable price to pay. And that applies here, too. Better to move the ball forward at some political cost than just try to win elections and spin your wheels.

HomerThompson and Fawlty like this.
  8. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    You never saw the hurricane episode, where Ned snaps and ends up in a mental hospital? It's a classic episode.

9. Rebound59 金繕い belt

Rebound59
    One man's virtue signalling is another man's virtue.

kpt018 and Jack V Savage like this.
  10. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Jack V Savage
    "X has a problem with appearing to be phony" is how amoral partisans describe having principles.

Don't we all wish the GOP "had a problem appearing to be phony" about deficits, healthcare costs, war, etc.?

Beat me to the same point. And more succinctly put.

HomerThompson likes this.
  11. HomerThompson President-elect

HomerThompson
    That's like Season 8, bruh.

[​IMG]

Hurricane Neddy

[​IMG]

AnGrYcRoW likes this.
  12. HomerThompson President-elect

HomerThompson
    *Season 8, episode 8, to be precise.

December 29th, 1996. 21 years ago, bra. What the fuck, yo?

@AnGrYcRoW

Jack V Savage likes this.
  13. deltapapha Brown Belt

deltapapha
    It is so beautiful to me that Franken is being virtually forced to resign while Moore will win and Trump ain't going nowhere. Just wonderful

Hahaha he's not getting anything in exchange for it.

Look, I am a total rightie but if I was Al Franken I would have given all these democrat wench's calling for him to resign the proverbial finger and said "If you want me out you are going to have to get the capital security to drag me out. We got bigger fish to fry on the horizon. I'm not going anywhere"

14. JonesBones Gold Belt

JonesBones
    botched apology. admitted no wrong doing. cnn and others are quick to point that out. really bad way to go. I didnt do anything but I am leaving anyway.

Franken's speech was defined primarily by his lack of any real apology and the clear bitterness he carries for being pushed out amid allegations that he had groped several women and forcibly tried to kiss others.

"Over the last few weeks, a number of women have come forward to talk about how they felt my actions had affected them. I was shocked. I was upset. But in responding to their claim, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation. Because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that in fact I haven't done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true. Others I remember very differently."

That's a remarkable statement. Franken is simultaneously saying that he believes the women who have accused him have a right to be heard while also making very clear that he is not admitting he had done the things they alleged.
    He went on to note that "I know in my heart that nothing I have done as a senator, nothing has brought dishonor on this institution," adding: "I am confident that the ethics committee would agree."
    And, just in case there was any question that Franken believed he was being unfairly railroaded, the senator's turn to Donald Trump and Roy Moore cleared all that up.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/politics/al-franken-resigns-analysis/index.html

15. AnGrYcRoW I've done .... questionable things .

AnGrYcRoW
    I remember the episode after watching the clip but ...
    [​IMG]

16. HomerThompson President-elect

HomerThompson
    [​IMG]
    No.

AnGrYcRoW likes this.
  17. JonesBones Gold Belt

JonesBones
    Race also played a role in this I think. Pressure about Conyers having to go but not Franken when the cases are clearly not the same thing.

If John Conyers can be brought down then so can fuckin Al Franken. Blood for blood. lol.

18. Falsedawn Killer of Gimmicks

Falsedawn
    But no kneeling at football games, some people don't want politics injected into it.

Jack V Savage and HomerThompson like this.
  19. 44nutman Black Belt

44nutman
    [
    I find it funny, the party that does not promote itself as The Christian Values party told a scumbag to get lost. The Christian Values party call Statutory Roys accusers lying whores.
    I know WWJD, and he would not be supporting Statutory Roy. Cafeteria Christians are going to ruin the GOP.
    Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.
    Barry Goldwater

Rebound59 and HomerThompson like this.
  20. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Jack V Savage
    I'm very happy to be on the other side of people like this.

Yeah, Conyers was a slam dunk. No argument that he should be gone.

HomerThompson likes this.