Aldo vs Pettis / GSP vs Silva / Jones vs Cain. Who'd have the best chance of becoming a 2 div champ?

Aldo ducked Pettis. Anybody who was deep in MMA at the time knows it. He chose a different opponent over Pettis 2 or 3 times before Pettis lost.

Pettis repeatedly called him out before beating Benson, after beating Benson, after beating Gil. Aldo would rarely respond.

PreUSADA Pettis would have beaten Aldo. He wouldn't pressure Pettis the same way RDA did and also isnt as big as RDA and doesn't have the conditioning of RDA. He would have either gotten caught or been worn down.

You know he was scheduled to fight Aldo and dropped of the fight, to fight Benson right after.
Also, there were reports that Aldo wanted to fight at LW, but the UFC told him to relinquish his belt to do so.

GSP is a 2-Division champ. The GSP that beat Bisping would've beat post-USADA Silva also IMO.
Jones could beat Cain. Cain was very good, but not the HW GOAT although he is in the discussion.
Pre-USADA Aldo would've beat Pettis IMO. Post USADA who cares? Neither one is the same.

Anderoid said he could make WW and GSP said he would fight him there.

Anderson fought Cormier on 2 days notice when his career was finished. There’s a reason why he was never interested in fighting Jones when in his prime while constantly calling out a guy in a smaller weight class.

Haven't you done enough fighter bashing? Look, at least your AV name matches your behaviour now.

Thread contaminated by GSP nuthuggers......of the worst caliber.

You know he was scheduled to fight Aldo and dropped of the fight, to fight Benson right after.
Also, there were reports that Aldo wanted to fight at LW, but the UFC told him to relinquish his belt to do so.

I am aware.

Aldo wasn't confident in his ability to beat Pettis. He wanted to have a belt to go back to.

Aldo isn't a pressure fighter and also wouldn't have looked to clinch or take him down. He would have given prime Pettis space and time and he would have gotten set up.

Pettis is much tougher and has much better cardio and endurance than Aldo as well as more finishing ability. He was also a bit more unorthodox than Aldo and also had both stances to attack from.

It was a bad match up for Aldo and he knew it which is why Pettis said at multiple press conferences that he is willing to fight Aldo at either weight and that he is just waiting for Aldo to respond and he never did after beating Benson or Gil. He instead opted to fight Lamas who had almost no credible wins.

Aldo was looking to play it safe while Pettis had all the confidence in the world and was looking to make history.

Aldo would 100% beat Pettis
Silva would 100% KO GSP stiff
Jones vs Prime Cain is a toss up

#1 Aldo
#2Jones
#3 GSP
NOW he would, but Pre USADA Showtime was a monster. People forget how much he declined, from arguable P4P #1 to getting Train Rekt by Peahead. Maybe the most epic fall along with the big Rigg Le Pig Pigg.

Additionally, Aldo does poorly against strikers and great against wrestlers. Aldo could have easily done so if he had faith in his chances, but rather, opted to stay at feather and left it to Showtime to drop.

<JagsKiddingMe>
How do you know that? he never fought as a HW before.

{<jordan}

gus destroys peds jones and cain would have eaten them both

How do I know what? He's taller and has a much bigger reach. How do you not know that?

<30>

Aldo would murk Pettis, GSP would wrestle f#uck Silva, sea level Cain would overwhelm Jones

When GSP gets Anderson down he's not getting up until the round is over lol.

Anderson would simply lay and pray, and with his long limbs there won't be much GSP could do to stop it

33n9l48.jpg.gif

As a GSP fan, it has to be Aldo.

Just because Pettis was the weakest champion on the list.

Good thread. I'm honestly conflicted. If I had to choose, I'd have to choose Jones vs Cain. Depending on which weight class it happened in, either could take it.

Jones vs Cain
Anderson in his prime was better than GSP
Aldo vs Pettis is a toss up on any given night.

Silva in his prime better than GSP! Hmmmm not so sure about that. I'd say both great but totally different types of combatants.

GSP went the longest time in the UFC at that point without even losing a round. Silva lost rounds in a number of fights.

Usually Silva lost rounds to wrestlers who took him down. Chael almost beat prime Silva... beat his ass for four plus rounds on the ground. Georges was a much better MMA wrestler than Chael and did damage and could finish on the ground... without having the mental errors Sonnen had in big fights.

Silva was on hell of a fighter and to diminish what he's done is wrong, same for GSP. I'm not doing that . However between the two, as they say styles make fights. Silva's weakness is GSP'S strength. That's the reason is pick Rush in that matchup and it wouldn't be a big favourite, rather an edge.

Not that one is better than the other. To me both were great. Silva on the feet for sure is better, his timing and range were freaking incredible. This is purely about the having one of the best ( if not the best) mma wrestlers and ground game going against the best striker at the time who's only weakness exposed was against elite wrestlers

Before all PED talk and Andersons decline, no matter what folks say now , he was a beast. Before GSP ruined his knee , took time to recover, cans back then left for years.... He was a beast too.

I am aware.

Aldo wasn't confident in his ability to beat Pettis. He wanted to have a belt to go back to.

Aldo isn't a pressure fighter and also wouldn't have looked to clinch or take him down. He would have given prime Pettis space and time and he would have gotten set up.

Pettis is much tougher and has much better cardio and endurance than Aldo as well as more finishing ability. He was also a bit more unorthodox than Aldo and also had both stances to attack from.

It was a bad match up for Aldo and he knew it which is why Pettis said at multiple press conferences that he is willing to fight Aldo at either weight and that he is just waiting for Aldo to respond and he never did after beating Benson or Gil. He instead opted to fight Lamas who had almost no credible wins.

Aldo was looking to play it safe while Pettis had all the confidence in the world and was looking to make history.

Having to relinquish the belt made no sense.
BJ didn't have to do this against GSP.
That would be just idiotic of him to accept this term. Belts mean something, especially when it comes to sponsor contracts.

He also accepted to fight Pettis at FW. Pettis dropped out of it.

Of course, Pettis was a beast and could beat him (while I give the advantage to Aldo), but Aldo wasn't playing safe. He just wasn't into being Dana's bitch.

Aldo wrecks Pettis at 155. Honestly I think Aldo would've run through Bendo, Pettis, and Alvarez rather easily.

Having to relinquish the belt made no sense.
BJ didn't have to do this against GSP.
That would be just idiotic of him to accept this term. Belts mean something, especially when it comes to sponsor contracts.

He also accepted to fight Pettis at FW. Pettis dropped out of it.

Of course, Pettis was a beast and could beat him (while I give the advantage to Aldo), but Aldo wasn't playing safe. He just wasn't into being Dana's bitch.

Things happen, and Aldo consistently pulled out and wasn't a draw so they didn't give him an opportunity to make history like that.

Pettis was very much down for a 145 or 155 fight vs Aldo and Aldo refused to respond to Pettis call outs for several years until the RDA fight.

NOW he would, but Pre USADA Showtime was a monster. People forget how much he declined, from arguable P4P #1 to getting Train Rekt by Peahead. Maybe the most epic fall along with the big Rigg Le Pig Pigg.

Additionally, Aldo does poorly against strikers and great against wrestlers. Aldo could have easily done so if he had faith in his chances, but rather, opted to stay at feather and left it to Showtime to drop.
Pettis has good kicks but he is a horrible boxer. Dana didn't let Aldo go up to LW without vacating his belt

Back