All-Ireland Hurling Final 2018 - Limerick winners for the first time in 45 years!

Rimbaud82

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

This sunday at 3.30pm Irish time (7.30am Pacific Time, 10.30am Eastern Standard Time) is the final of this years hurling competition, Galway vs Limerick.

I implore you all to watch it if you can (should be easy enough to find a stream). Should be a great game, as it always is. They don't call it the fastest game on grass for no reason. Limerick haven't appeared in the final since 2007 (and haven't won since 1973). Galway won it last year for the first time since 1988.

might just be me, but I thought every friday and sat nite was hurling night in Eireland.
after 20 pints of Murphy's or O'hare or whatever ye all drank over there.
jolly good times

might just be me, but I thought every friday and sat nite was hurling night in Eireland.
after 20 pints of Murphy's or O'hare or whatever ye all drank over there.
jolly good times

Piss poor joke thats been made a million times before. C+ for effort Im afraid.

embrace your heritage
don't be angry

Oh I love getting drunk as much as the next guy (including americans), but we dont even use the word 'hurl' for throwing up here...so its a poor joke. Plus one I've heard plenty of times before from americans; very tired at this point.

I'm not angry, I would just rather talk about hurling, the wonderful sport....

can't say I've ever seen this particular sport.

looks like a cross between rugby, lacrosse and futbol.
anyone ever get hit with one of those mallets?

It's not very popular anywhere but Ireland (or amongst Irish diaspora) but it is huge over here. Should be more well-known imo. It is a little bit like lacrosse, but waaaaaay better I would say...it's not really related to soccer or rugby (though it was codifed/rules made around the same sort of time). Can see why it looks like that though.

It is related to ice hockey actually, in that ice hockey developed from Irish and Scottish immigrants playing hurling (and shinty, a related scottish sport). For example, fun fact is that the 'puck' in ice hockey possibly comes from the Irish word poc.

People sometimes get broken fingers/hands, that's the most common thing to get hit with the stick (hurley as its called), but usually just a sore knuckle or two.

thanks for the insight and info, fascinating tbh.
sorry if I offended you.

thanks for the insight and info, fascinating tbh.
sorry if I offended you.
You didn't offend me lol, I just get a bit tired because you can hardly posting anything non-american/soccer sports without the same boring jokes.

is it true that native Irish consider US Irish guttersnipes?
I read that somewhere.

forgot where but I read some Irish dude saying 'american irish are no more irish that black americans are africans' or something to that effect.
also I remember reading an interview with Bono years ago where he tried to point out the differences between Ireland and the US. he said 'in the US if you make a ton of money ppl aspire to be like you. in Ireland if you make millions of dollars, ppl want to kill you.'
funny if true

forgot where but I read some Irish dude saying 'american irish are no more irish that black americans are africans' or something to that effect.
also I remember reading an interview with Bono years ago where he tried to point out the differences between Ireland and the US. he said 'in the US if you make a ton of money ppl aspire to be like you. in Ireland if you make millions of dollars, ppl want to kill you.'
funny if true

hmm, ah yeah I get you know. Some people think it's a bit ridiculous, like it's fine to be proud of your irish 'heritage' but a lot of them dont actually have a clue about anything Irish whatsoever...they just play into dumb stereotypes. Corned beef on St Pattys Day...wtf is that lol.

So I'd say a lot of us just find it dumb but harmless...some seem to get a bit worked up about it. I'd say the bono quote is kind of true as well, obviously hyperbole but it's maybe more of a european thing in general...like that funny quote I once heard about americans not liking welfare/benefits because they are all temporarily embarrassed millionaires lol.

It's older than all of the sports mentioned and yes injuries are frequent ( though there hasn't been a Joe Quaid like injury in years ).

callananteeth.jpg

Yes, those are his teeth.

jj-delaney-leaves-the-pitch-for-a-blood-injury-752x501.jpg

original

From the days before helmets were compulsory to wear, 2009

Back