All things being equal, the UFC mostly delivers the fights we want to see. Compared to boxing, it's lightyears better.

Why do people care or compare to boxing.
I compare UFC to Golden Era UFC.
They do not deliver the fights we want to see....anymore.

True.

Could be better, but also could be a lot worse.

That is the positive side of monopoly; the UFC concentrates the immense majority of the global MMA talent, so they get to put the fights they and the fans want without different promotions having to protect their own brand-champions, making negotiations interminable and impossible.

It also means that the organization is not based exclusively, like so many belts in boxing, around having 1-2 superstars to sell pay-per-views, but a consistently mobile system of divisions that can generate interest in up and comers and not only contenders and champions.

Since their brand carries hundreds of fighters that need to fight, they need to put out many, many events and cards. They care for there to be a much higher recognizability rate for non-champions than in boxing. Someone like Cerrone, Chito, Masvidal, Dustin, Justin are known by basically everyone in the community, even if they have pretty inconsistent records and have not been champions.

I'm inclined to agree. Alex vs Jiri, for example, was a big one I never thought would happen and it did, but this is such a "what have you done for me lately" business that nobody cares anymore. Strickland vs Izzy was also feeling like they were not gonna clash. Holland vs Page was excellent - whether the fight delivered as hoped is whatever, on paper, it was what I wanted. Gaethje vs Barboza was also a cool one years ago, battle of the kickers.

Last edited:
All this thread is proving is that UFC fans are living in a bubble. Goodness gracious!

Get with the times.

Boxing has been exciting with unifications and great fights and the much bigger combat sport overall since about 2017 in the US, it’s actually not even close.

All the stars are in boxing.

Dana is the biggest star of UFC 300 and parading himself around. There is no one crossing into the mainstream.

That is all you need to know.

Again tonight.

Devin Haney is a -910 favorite. -910!
This is a perfect example of what's I'm talking about. Boxing just doesn't seem to understand how to hedge its own bets with a fight card. All the marbles are in the main event, and with Garcia's seeming mental health issues, all the dimension has been removed from this fight. Everyone is expecting Devin Haney to just walk through this man.

And they're charging EIGHTY bucks for this PPV lemon. There are some mid-tier fights on the undercard, but absolutely NOTHING like what we just experienced at UFC 300.

I really hope the Saudis help put an end to this shit. No, boxing isn't going to die any time soon, but if it doesn't do a better job of making these events worth the price of admission, it's going to cement its 2nd place status to MMA.

Again, Dana is a terrible person, but there's simply no denying that the excitement in MMA is ascendant in comparison with these narcolepsy inducing cards that the alphabet mafias in boxing seem content with broadcasting.

1713652830460.png

There are way more boxing examples. And even when the big fights happen in boxing one or both are usually over the hill, fights like Davis v Garcia are very rare
Exactly.

The entire infrastructure of boxing rewards corruption to an extreme degree. It's borderline cartoonish. Way more than MMA currently does.

I maintain that without the Latino audience, boxing would have crumbled 10 years ago. The Arums and Hearns of the world should REALLY be grateful that some parts of the world haven't turned their backs on the sport entirely. It definitely doesn't occupy the same pop culture space that it once did in America.

If your main event is a -910 affair, you're doing something dreadfully wrong as a promoter.

Back