Alternative single leg finish

Part of why I am very assertive about my opinion is because I am accounting for the way this would happen in mma. Not just wrestling..

While I take your point. I would still like to see if you have any counter examples... you stated an opinion, I replied and gave technical reasons for my counter one. And while I can be acerbic I still am curious if you have an actual response to that

Thank you.
Then friend we can have something new to discover here; what you would be thinking that opinion was so it can be rejoined, what you were thinking of in contrast to that as a relation, and whether i did give the impression of a positive opinion in a way i was not aware of or intending. I say this since in my mind i wasn't giving a particular positive opinion on the matter except in the first and last place - where i expressed an affinity for the style of lifts used by Khabib and Cormier (and Velasquez and Katona and other AKA exponents) as a corroboration of the op video (in the former case directly) - and everything in between being more or less a different matter, which may explain a large portion of the misfiring.

Part of your last effort was by far the most lucid, since it was engaging on the same level i was at the time; explaining how and why you used your terms like i was meaning to be doing so also, rather than further orthogonal tangents of enumeration or exhortation that were related to the topic but not relevant to the issue.

There was no especial meaning to imply any sorts of attacks besides those examples, since as a rule i consider it a generally good policy to avoid discussing in too much detail things that don't have some real life example one could point too for reference of possibility or efficacy (even if you might feel certain, if only as a means to avoid setting yourself on what might appear as a shaky grounds for criticism, but also practically to modulate potential flights of fancy [this can apply to many other topics as well]).

So with that said Iet's look into the sequence further to see if we can make sense and satisfy curiosity; in 143720787 you asked for an example of a lift with the hands locked and arms strait with head inside; i was somewhat perplexed by this since i figured the example of the Iaquinta fight was already noted earlier in the thread, along with the very own video you posted to start with. I figure you meant it in relation to what you said earlier in 143710665, which appeared contradictory in writing but which i understand now you meant to say, find an example of a lock slide single/crack hold where someone named it a high crotch lift. A sense of mixed message continued though in 143714209 where you asked for an example of a lift with the arms strait and head outside, whereupon i mentioned the examples of other AKA standouts. Again with new light though i understand you meant a lift with the head outside and finished by reaping a leg, like with the crack hold.

I don't think i've ever seen an example of such a thing, though perhaps an inside trip like motion with the near leg could be possible. I feel like it would probably be awkward, at least more awkward compared to when you lift with the head in and outside leg in, where your leg is right there to hook their leg for the finishing touch.

At any rate, Cain and Daniel like to do their lifts/tilts with arms locked and head out, but obviously they finish simply by dumping or running through after taking the opponent off base (or in Cain's particular case, also sometimes using an almost sort of 'throw by' motion to attack the back angle; Aljamain Sterling used a similar move in round 3 of his recent winning effort against Brett Johns). Katona started his lift with the head inside, but finished by turning out for a double dump. Perhaps he felt he couldnt get enough lift to finish going the other way. Incidentally, Cormier actually does have a finish for a single leg where his head is outside and reaping a leg... though obviously in this case it's more like a trip, and his posture is much lower.

When one performs a deadlift or snatch, the basic inwardness starting with your arms locked out is so you have a 'solid bar' to transmit force through. Even if you are very strong, muscle alone is not a perfect 'resistor', and the 'squish' of the muscle giving way under load even slightly reduces the total power/velocity you can exert on the pull. I wouldn't be surprised if the standing clean was a standard exercise down at AKA (im sure we've all seen that video of the Iowa exercise room).

You know now that i think about it, i feel like Cormier's relatively short arms in relation to his frame might actually give him an extra affinity for that move, as he would be able to get closer to an optimal 'athletic stance' for a pop while maintaining lock out or close to lock out with the arms.

Last edited:
Back