Am I an alcoholic?

I have a glass of red wine almost every day with dinner, which is enough for me to have a slight buzz.

If I don't have a glass of wine though I don't crave it or really care at all.

I'd say you're not an alcoholic.

No, it is definitely about how much you drink and how often. TS is not an alcoholic. If he is, everyone on the planet is an alcoholic.

Here’s a quick test you can do TS. Just take two days off of having any alcohol. If you can do that, you’re fine.

Full blown alcoholics have a physical dependency on alcohol. Two beers a night is not enough to make one physically dependent on alcohol unless you are the size of a fetus.
I've done two weeks recently. Two days is nothing.

Does it have an impact on your life if you don't and to what extent do you to get pissy if you don't or can't drink?

To be fair I rely on smoking weed for sleep. But it's better than having no sleep and not functioning. So there's that.
Only the extent that it destresses and relaxes me in the evenings. I can totally function without it but I'm wound a little more tightly

Here is the thing TS. Your body builds up tolerances. After drinking 1-2 beers your body isn’t even getting the effect of the Alcohol. Def not from 1. So an alcoholic would up it to 2, then 3, then get up to where Beer is. You have a psychological dependency that is purely psychosomatic. That’s shows signs of an addictive personality so replace beer with something else, or continue to have a beer a night just don’t raise the amount.
I don’t drink Sunday through Thursday. Don’t need to. But I like to on Fridays and Saturdays. But I don’t need to. I’m not grumpy if I don’t.
I've definitely noticed an increased tolerance, I dont get buzzed as quickly as I used to but it still helps to relax me

I think that there's an issue because 1. You had to ask if you are, and 2. You feel you need the beer.

I don't think how much you drink is the sole criteria for alcoholism, but the reasoning behind your drinking as well.

"My friend said dont use liquor as a crutch. I dont use liquor as a crutch because a crutch helps me walk." - Mitch Hedberg

Nah I drink 8-12 beers a night 5 nights a week and I'm not an alcoholic so I doubt you are.

I drink on average 1 or 2 beers a night. I rarely ever get intoxicated, even on the weekends. But I NEED that one or two beers every day to take the edge off. Without it I'm a cranky motherfucker and as soon as I get one double IPA in me I'm a totally different person.
Yes, and if you are like me that 1 or 2 beers will become 2 or 3 in a couple years... then 3 or 4... then 4 or 5 etc. It's a bitch to keep it under control.

Dude, if that makes you an alcoholic, I don't know what the hell I am because I drink way more than that every day.

Sounds like you have a mental dependency with beer, but not physically addicted.

Find something else to take the edge off because there is 0 health benefits drinking those beers. Maybe hit the bag or a light jog???

You’re not an alcoholic. A lot of people have a beer or two after a day of work. It’s not the most healthy thing, but if you still go about your daily life and take care of business I think you’re good. I get the same way about caffeine.

I drink on average 1 or 2 beers a night. I rarely ever get intoxicated, even on the weekends. But I NEED that one or two beers every day to take the edge off. Without it I'm a cranky motherfucker and as soon as I get one double IPA in me I'm a totally different person.

No. Your considered a moderate drinker. This is coming from someone who has suffered from alcoholism for 12 years now. The single distinction between alcoholic and non alcoholic is lack of control, meaning once I ingest one drink it gives me a certain "feeling". I absolutely cannot get enough of that "feeling" and will drink to obliteration chasing more of that "feeling" every single time I choose to ingest just one alcoholic drink.

If it worries you I’d suggest switching to alcohol-free beer for a couple of weeks, they have a reputation of being awful, but these days some of them are pretty good. It may be that it’s the ritual of coming home from work and having a couple of beers that is helping you chill out, and not the alcohol itself.

If it doesn’t worry you then I don’t think you have a problem, just keep an eye on yourself and make sure 1 or 2 beers doesn’t become 2 or 3, then 3 or 4...

Sounds like you have a mental dependency with beer, but not physically addicted.

Find something else to take the edge off because there is 0 health benefits drinking those beers. Maybe hit the bag or a light jog???
I work out everyday which helps but I still have a desire to drink when it's time to relax

No. An alcoholic can't keep it to 2 drinks. An alcoholic will drink heavily and wake up having to take another drink to keep the shakes away.

Ya, there are different levels of alcoholic but 2 beers a night doesn't qualify IMO. That's like saying you are addicted to pain killers b/c you take 2 Tylenol in the morning for a sore shoulder.

Back