Am I running too much?

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I have a muli-stage fitness test (Beep test) coming up in two months, and I need to get level 9-10 to be competitive.
Right now, I’m at level 8, which surprised me as I have pretty good endurance when doing pads/sparring/etc.
Anyway, I’ve been running 5 days a week, this is what it looks like:

Mon: Mock Beep test + 10 laps jog
Tue: 7x1200 meter intervals with 1:1 rest + some longer sprints
Wed: Mock cooper test + strength circuit
Thu: Rest
Fri: 5 lap jog, 5 lap fartlek + some bodyweight
Sat: 10x800 meter intervals with 1:1 rest + some longer sprints
Sun:Rest

Is this too much running? I’ve read that especially with the intervals, there’s a danger of overtraining as they’re very hard on the cardiovascular system (if done more than once a week). I did feel a bit weird with my blood pressure once , but it disappeared the next day. Only sign of overtraining is shin splints xD
Also, and more importantly, is this a good way to train for the Beep test?

....?
Ok...
... thanks for your input xD
Sorry. I didn't realise I pressed enter when I was called to a patient.
I was going to explain myself but in the end it looks like a lot of running, with little thought as to the goal of improving your beep test time.

It's hard to say without looking at what sort of speeds you're running, but as a guide I'd say that you are not even close to running too much.

Many people run more often than 5 times a week, and much further distances.

Obviously it depends what your current state of fitness is, but if you're up to decent sparring and pad work levels, then I'd say the running shouldn't be too much of an issue there.

With regards to the intensity, no disrespect meant at all, but until you've done a heavy interval session with either regular good level runners, or someone actively in a fight camp, you may not be quite running at the intensity you think you are.

As far as training for a bleep test, it looks fairly reasonable to me. I'd possibly cut out the jogging unless it is for basic warm up or downs, keep your runs high quality, unless a dedicated longer slower session.

It's hard to say without looking at what sort of speeds you're running, but as a guide I'd say that you are not even close to running too much.

Many people run more often than 5 times a week, and much further distances.

Obviously it depends what your current state of fitness is, but if you're up to decent sparring and pad work levels, then I'd say the running shouldn't be too much of an issue there.

With regards to the intensity, no disrespect meant at all, but until you've done a heavy interval session with either regular good level runners, or someone actively in a fight camp, you may not be quite running at the intensity you think you are.

As far as training for a bleep test, it looks fairly reasonable to me. I'd possibly cut out the jogging unless it is for basic warm up or downs, keep your runs high quality, unless a dedicated longer slower session.

The guy wants to improve a beep test, not run marathons.

yes. But the question was is he running too much, and the short answer is no, not enough to do damage, but possibly a change in running priority might be an improvement.

Sorry. I didn't realise I pressed enter when I was called to a patient.
I was going to explain myself but in the end it looks like a lot of running, with little thought as to the goal of improving your beep test time.
The structure I was going for was to have one day of aerobic work (monday), one day of short intervals (Friday) and two days of intervals at vVO2max and some speed work (Tue and Sat).
Am I in the right place with this train of thought?

I would recommend running some 1k intervals, aiming for 4-5ish minutes, as well as 10-20-30's. 30 second jog, 20 second run, 10 second almost sprint (90%). I'd probably do each of those twice a week. A mock beep test every other week in place of the 1k intervals.

You really need to add deads and squats to your program. More muscle = faster times. Keep the same volume of running just add some 5x5s to the mix.

<21>

The structure I was going for was to have one day of aerobic work (monday), one day of short intervals (Friday) and two days of intervals at vVO2max and some speed work (Tue and Sat).
Am I in the right place with this train of thought?

I would say there's too much testing and not enough building. Two months is a fairly short period of time though.

You are getting shin splints, so yes it's too much running.

Reaching level 10 on a beep test involves running 1880m in 10:32 while constantly changing direction and accelerating again so consider that.

You are getting shin splints, so yes it's too much running.

Reaching level 10 on a beep test involves running 1880m in 10:32 while constantly changing direction and accelerating again so consider that.
I always get them when running, even if it’s just once a week... I guess I have brittle bones/periost xD
As for the second part of your post, interesting point. Hadn’t considered it from that point, what’s your recommendation?
Shorter, faster interval runs in the neighbourhood of 2k?

Honestly I would be running 30-60 minutes 2-3 times a week if training for a beep test. Get a real aerobic base.

It only gets anaerobic at the end (when you’re basically sprinting to make the beep) and the more aerobic you get the easier the first parts will be.

Mostly it's a test of vo2 max, so aerobic work helps the most despite the intermittent nature....that said, it also involves change of direction, so actually practicing the change of direction elements will make those less stressful. If the beep test were all running in one direction it would be much easier.

Cut your rest time down on the 1200s and 8’s. A two/two thirty minute rest is wayyy too long for 800m’s. Try going down to 75-90s.

But your structure is fine, though I would suggest closer to the test to include days of 2’s and 6’s so you can get ready for past level 10 when the turn around is much lower.

Cut your rest time down on the 1200s and 8’s. A two/two thirty minute rest is wayyy too long for 800m’s. Try going down to 75-90s.

But your structure is fine, though I would suggest closer to the test to include days of 2’s and 6’s so you can get ready for past level 10 when the turn around is much lower.
You lost me. “2s and 6s”?

I think he means 200m and 600m reps, but may be wrong.

With regards the rest periods on your 800m/1200m reps, when we do these we often start with a 2:30 rest, and then reduce it by 30secs each time. If you are well conditioned then the first two or three are pretty easy, but when the recovery period gets right down, it becomes really tough to maintain the pace on your reps. I think this would be good for your bleep test as you will be dealing with a quicker turnaround time and this will really help.

You lost me. “2s and 6s”?

As the other poster pointed out I was referring to 200’s and 600’s. Something shorter so you can actually feel the faster pace with less recovery time. Run across the track as opposed to around it for rests.

Back