Am i the only one who thinks Mike Perry is not impressive

Mike Perry is a decent fighter at this point who they are trying to push to hard. Instead of building him up, they see star potential and money in him and want to rush him to the top. He has mad power and the mouth to draw in fans, just not quite the fighting skills as of yet.

He's still young, but if they keep matching him up with guys who are gonna destroy him in hopes of cashing in, I think they're going to end up disappointed.

I don't think hes ever gonna be champ, and quite honestly his skillset doesn't seem to be developing either. Hopefully he turns that around, would like to see the guy succeed.

Didn't read but I'm also not impressed. He has no fight IQ

i dont really pay attention to compu box as its kind of BS. Ok so maybe he has decent head movement, but its nothing outrageous... buttt he is extremely stiff throwing his hands... im really mad about the eye poke, prolly more mad that the ref did nothing about it. this is an ongoing thing with ponz. he pokes everyone in the eye.. when is enough enough!!?? i was expecting a lot more from perry with the way he was built up on here is all im saying.
Understood... but when I told you Ponzi only landed 1 out of 47 head strike attempts... it's because I counted them myself & took time to pause & rewind as needed to make sure things didn't land. Compu box had nothing to do with it. I know they are flawed too... as I've looked closely at certain fights & I verified that their numbers were off.

Yeah, that eye poke thing is really messed up. I don't accept either of his last to wins due to that.

Understood... but when I told you Ponzi only landed 1 out of 47 head strike attempts... it's because I counted them myself & took time to pause & rewind as needed to make sure things didn't land. Compu box had nothing to do with it. I know they are flawed too... as I've looked closely at certain fights & I verified that their numbers were off.

Yeah, that eye poke thing is really messed up. I don't accept either of his last to wins due to that.

ok than being u counted yourself i can respect and trust those numbers. i think im in the minority in believing that the eye pole literally changed that entire fight.. Perry to me did not look the same as he did before the eye poke.. Being that you counted the punches, did u also see the eye poke clearly? i havent bothered to rewatch the fight but im wondering how bad the poke actually was? i only remember perry telling the ref about it right after it happened

He's not impressive from most standpoints (except punching power), but I understand why he's marketed the way he is. I wanna see the guy lose, but I know he's got blistering KO ability that always keeps him dangerous

ok than being u counted yourself i can respect and trust those numbers. i think im in the minority in believing that the eye pole literally changed that entire fight.. Perry to me did not look the same as he did before the eye poke.. Being that you counted the punches, did u also see the eye poke clearly? i havent bothered to rewatch the fight but im wondering how bad the poke actually was? i only remember perry telling the ref about it right after it happened
Yeah, it's really wierd how many people just put it off like Plat is making an excuse... but that's just because they are Plat haters no matter what & jump at every opportunity to sh*t on him.

So here is Plat's face between rounds 1 & 2. Up until this point, Plat only recieved one light jab to the right cheek... & you can't even see a mark.

Plat in corner before 2nd.JPG

The eye poke happened at 4:35 on the countdown clock.
Plat poked by Ponzi 2.JPG

The next picture shows Plat 30 seconds after that... (4:04 on the countdown clock) just after they scramble. Despite the fact that Ponzi still hasn't landed a strike to the head... Plat is bleeding from the eye. A little later you can see the blood running down his face. Blood is definitely from the eye poke... & while Ponzi started teeing off after this... the doctor in his corner between rounds... only tended to the bleeding eye.

Plat poked by Ponzi eye bleeding.JPG

Here's a picture of Plat a couple of days later showing the scar that he still has from the eye poke.

Plats eye poke scar 2.JPG

Here's some nice shots of Ponzi's eye pokes to Gunny while we're at it.
Gunnar Ponzi eye poke 4.JPG

Gunnar Ponzi eye poke 6.JPG

Yeah, it's really wierd how many people just put it off like Plat is making an excuse... but that's just because they are Plat haters no matter what & jump at every opportunity to sh*t on him.

So here is Plat's face between rounds 1 & 2. Up until this point, Plat only recieved one light jab to the right cheek... & you can't even see a mark.

View attachment 315903

The eye poke happened at 4:35 on the countdown clock.
View attachment 315901

The next picture shows Plat 30 seconds after that... (4:04 on the countdown clock) just after they scramble. Despite the fact that Ponzi still hasn't landed a strike to the head... Plat is bleeding from the eye. A little later you can see the blood running down his face. Blood is definitely from the eye poke... & while Ponzi started teeing off after this... the doctor in his corner between rounds... only tended to the bleeding eye.

View attachment 315905

Here's a picture of Plat a couple of days later showing the scar that he still has from the eye poke.

View attachment 315907

Here's some nice shots of Ponzi's eye pokes to Gunny while we're at it.

Excellent post thank u for breaking it down like this.. so do u also believe the entire fight changed after the poke? i thought perry was winning the fight handely up until the eye poke but like i said i only watched it live and havent since. the point of my thread was that people here were making perry out to be the next best thing since anderson and i was just let down because i had such unrealistic high expectations after reading so many posts about how great perry is.

He's got power, and a lot of potential, but the word 'great' gets thrown around too easily.

That is fair and i can respect that.. i love watching a warrior win lose or draw just as much as everyone.. my point was that i was thinking he was a world beater with the way sherdoggers built him up to be so i had very high expectations watching him fight and i was let down.. people on here was making him out to be the next champion and i just didnt see that at all in him. He is tough yes. he seems somewhat durable if he can get his cardio up and i will def watch him fight.. i just dont think he will ever become a champion.

i love Justin Gaethje as well but i dont think he will ever become champ either. Everyone loves warriors like them regardless if they will ever become champion.. Arturo Gatti is one of my all time fav fighters and he will never ever be considered a goat.
Amen to that, my friend!
GOAT's are great... but it seems we both like fighters that it doesn't matter if they will climb to the top, and to me,this means more than those who can only root for champions.

Excellent post thank u for breaking it down like this.. so do u also believe the entire fight changed after the poke? i thought perry was winning the fight handely up until the eye poke but like i said i only watched it live and havent since. the point of my thread was that people here were making perry out to be the next best thing since anderson and i was just let down because i had such unrealistic high expectations after reading so many posts about how great perry is.
Yes, in my opinion... everything changed after the eye poke.... & Plat was handily winning the fight to that point.

We all know that our favorite fighters are human & able to lose. What we have with Plat right now... & why so many people gravitate toward him... is that he's one of few fighters that actually show up to scrap. There's way too many people who show up & spar. Every one of his wins were finished with KO/TKO. He's also real with his fans & keeps a regular media communication on what's going on with him. So there's a lot to like.

If you want to know what's up... then spend some time checking out his past fights. what I see is that he came into the UFC as a full on brawler... & he's been improving ever since. People think it's fan boy stuff when I tell them that Plat was going through a transition during the Jouban fight but it's absolutely true. He even had an interview before that fight where he said he understood he can't keep brawling & getting hit like he was if he wanted to get to the top. He took it a little too far in that fight & lost a close decision... but he then corrected it in the next fight.

So if you do check out his history... you'll see the evolution. The haters don't want to hear it... but anyone who actually looks at it will see a young fighter who is improving his game. People are ragging on him cause he lost his last one... but going half the fight & only getting hit in the head once is pretty damn impressive. When you factor in the eye gouge that made him bleed & left a bruise on him days later... & it was after that when Pokesy started teeing off... it really makes you wonder how that fight would've gone down if it weren't for the poke.... or if the ref stopped it & actually gave him the proper time to recover from it.

If you feel his striking isn't what you expected... then you can look & recognize his evolution up to this point & it's pretty clear he will continue to evolve further. So we got this young fighter who is on the job... & constantly improving. Meanwhile, he shows up to fight... & has finished everyone he's beat. That's why he's got so many fans.

He is a "JUST BLEED" fighter. You Win some and Lose some. Needs to work on cardio and MMA skills. I expect exciting fights from him in the future.

Amen to that, my friend!
GOAT's are great... but it seems we both like fighters that it doesn't matter if they will climb to the top, and to me,this means more than those who can only root for champions.

i totally agree with you.. its also like clay guida, we all know he will never be a champ, but for some reason i just absolutely love watching him fight. i dont think people give clay enough credit for being a warrior. he truly is in my eyes.

Yes, in my opinion... everything changed after the eye poke.... & Plat was handily winning the fight to that point.

We all know that our favorite fighters are human & able to lose. What we have with Plat right now... & why so many people gravitate toward him... is that he's one of few fighters that actually show up to scrap. There's way too many people who show up & spar. Every one of his wins were finished with KO/TKO. He's also real with his fans & keeps a regular media communication on what's going on with him. So there's a lot to like.

If you want to know what's up... then spend some time checking out his past fights. what I see is that he came into the UFC as a full on brawler... & he's been improving ever since. People think it's fan boy stuff when I tell them that Plat was going through a transition during the Jouban fight but it's absolutely true. He even had an interview before that fight where he said he understood he can't keep brawling & getting hit like he was if he wanted to get to the top. He took it a little too far in that fight & lost a close decision... but he then corrected it in the next fight.

So if you do check out his history... you'll see the evolution. The haters don't want to hear it... but anyone who actually looks at it will see a young fighter who is improving his game. People are ragging on him cause he lost his last one... but going half the fight & only getting hit in the head once is pretty damn impressive. When you factor in the eye gouge that made him bleed & left a bruise on him days later... & it was after that when Pokesy started teeing off... it really makes you wonder how that fight would've gone down if it weren't for the poke.... or if the ref stopped it & actually gave him the proper time to recover from it.

If you feel his striking isn't what you expected... then you can look & recognize his evolution up to this point & it's pretty clear he will continue to evolve further. So we got this young fighter who is on the job... & constantly improving. Meanwhile, he shows up to fight... & has finished everyone he's beat. That's why he's got so many fans.

i totally understand what your saying... i really hope he does keep evolving.. i wish people on here just aimply made him out to be a warrior instead of making him out to be the next anderson silva. Although 26 is young, its not that young, i would venture to guess that in fighting the prime years would be a window of 26-31?? of course i know there have been greats that fought into their 40s but being in ur prime and being really good at an old age are 2 totally different things. what age range do u feel are a fighters prime years?

Back