Am I wrong about this 2v1 rule

Parang

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ive thought this forever and still do: If you know youre fighting 2 guys or more, you dont wanna grapple at all. And vice versa where if youre for some reason outnumbering a guy, you want to grapple him and get him down, for pretty obvious reasons: Even if youre a high level BJJ black belt, you are gonna struggle to subdue 2 dudes at once with grappling, whereas a trained person could plausibly strike with 2 people at once. This would apply to a 1v1 as well, whoever's friends are closer, thats who wants to grapple.
TLDR: Your route to victory while outnumbered is to stay on your feet
Am I terribly wrong? Do you have exceptions to my rule? Should I tell my little brother this advice or not?

Ive thought this forever and still do: If you know youre fighting 2 guys or more, you dont wanna grapple at all. And vice versa where if youre for some reason outnumbering a guy, you want to grapple him and get him down, for pretty obvious reasons: Even if youre a high level BJJ black belt, you are gonna struggle to subdue 2 dudes at once with grappling, whereas a trained person could plausibly strike with 2 people at once. This would apply to a 1v1 as well, whoever's friends are closer, thats who wants to grapple.
Am I terribly wrong? Do you have exceptions to my rule? Should I tell my little brother this advice or not?
I don't think what you are saying is bad, but for me personally i actually prefer to grapple. My strategy is to try and get one of them in a choke or something and use their body as a barrier to block the others line of attack. I think it just depends on what tactic you're employing at the time. Retreating footwork while throwing bombs until you can run away doesn't so bad if you don't wanna grapple. I guess my point is you can and should grapple against multiple opponents sometimes. But you are right that you should keep yourself standing, no reason not to put them on the ground though.
<seedat>

Not enough American replies here: I have a dildo-enhancing pistol or a rifle for each of the opponent, could 1v10 them with my gun collection.

theres no rules in a "street" fight.

2 vs 1 is not fair.

I would be looking for a weapon in a situation like that. In my younger days, i stopped 3 guys from jumping me with a pocket knife. you guys are kids so im not advising going out and getting weapons etc. just want to point out that because theres no rules theres no need to fight fair.

I'd say if you got 2 people on your tail about something, you dun goofed somewhere

A problem "high level BJJ black belt" has, is having no striking exp. the mental part of shaking off a strike is alot harder than people think. More than "I'm a man, I'm a tough guy"

GnP completely changes everything, its a reason grappling in MMA and BJJ are different. Not just techniques, but the tactics and approach behind both

You can grapple. Just clinch one guy and keep him between you and the other one. American football has good way to deal with two people sort of

Grappling isn't just takedowns and ground work, it is a big advantage while standing, unless you are a seasoned sherdogger and therefore able to one-shot KO multiple attackers on the back foot (for legal reasons on the back foot).

I appreciate, and you all mostly have good points.
I don't think what you are saying is bad, but for me personally i actually prefer to grapple. My strategy is to try and get one of them in a choke or something and use their body as a barrier to block the others line of attack. I think it just depends on what tactic you're employing at the time. Retreating footwork while throwing bombs until you can run away doesn't so bad if you don't wanna grapple. I guess my point is you can and should grapple against multiple opponents sometimes. But you are right that you should keep yourself standing, no reason not to put them on the ground though.
<seedat>
I like this, good points all around though. Even the dildo gun, not a bad idea. Perhaps you practice little clinch trips for this scenario

I appreciate, and you all mostly have good points.

I like this, good points all around though. Even the dildo gun, not a bad idea. Perhaps you practice little clinch trips for this scenario
<FookIsThatGuy>
Dildo gun?

If you're in a 2v1 situation, you need to use the 2nd person as a shield until neutralized. That can be with movement which is hard because it requires a lot of constant movement to prevent one from circling around. But you have flexibility because you can change which attacker is the shield at a moment's notice. Or it can be with standing grappling, assuming you can control the body of the 1st person. Downside is that once you're engaged with the 1st person, you don't have a lot of time to gain control.

You can do decent drills with this scenario.

Best advice with 2 attackers is just getting away and finding a safer place to be.

If you're in a 2v1 situation, you need to use the 2nd person as a shield until neutralized. That can be with movement which is hard because it requires a lot of constant movement to prevent one from circling around. But you have flexibility because you can change which attacker is the shield at a moment's notice. Or it can be with standing grappling, assuming you can control the body of the 1st person. Downside is that once you're engaged with the 1st person, you don't have a lot of time to gain control.

You can do decent drills with this scenario.

Best advice with 2 attackers is just getting away and finding a safer place to be.
This is what I was taught. Use the front guy to block the back guy. I beleive it is called stacking.

Grappling is great 1vs1. Unless the opponent has a knife.
Never grapple with someone who could have a knife, or could have friends. Or even worse, friends with weapons.
True, reminds me of this forensic files where a wrestler got stabbed. He would have mauled the guy if no weapons were involved.

The most important element in physical alterations is weapon retention.

The second most important element is staying balanced and on your feet.

Both elements one might note happen to be intimately entangled with grappling aptitude...

(The third most important element is taking the other guy(s) off balance and off his feet [where, one could now restrain him, or easily get away, or curb stomp...].)

Last edited:
It is better to keep it standing... anyone who says otherwise are just keyboard warriors who have never been in a street fight.. oh and since its 2v1 use any weapon you can at that time given the opportunity; dont use a gun or knife unless you are trying to kill. That is all.. anyone who says grapple just has never been in this type of situation and doesn’t understand tactics.. just my 2 cents

<seedat>
You obviously have never been in a 2v1 street fight and “prefer to grapple” when there are multiple attackers is the most dumbest shit I have read, dear god dont give advice that could end up with the OP’s brother in the hospital

You obviously have never been in a 2v1 street fight and “prefer to grapple” when there are multiple attackers is the most dumbest shit I have read, dear god dont give advice that could end up with the OP’s brother in the hospital
You're telling me its a bad idea to grab one guy and use him as a barrier while you choke them out, crank their arms, stomp their foot, knee their groin, or put them on the ground for stomping? I hope you're not assuming i'm telling him to go bjj mode and pull guard or something.
<YeahOKJen>

Back