AMA about boxing

thugpoet

The Dredd Wolf
@Brown
Reaction score
A few years back there was a great thread on boxing with a simular title. I couldn't find it in the archives so I figured I'd make another one with me as the host.

Ask any boxing related question you may have and I'll do my best to answer or point you in the direction of someone who does.

What's the best way to handle a boxer with really good cardio and very durable, that pressures you with volume punches? And also is good with setting up combinations?

What is your experience?
Ways to get comfortable in that mid range/pocket? Just go lighter or with junker people?

What is your favorite drill for:
-Offense
-Defense
-Partnered
-Solo

Doesn’t have to be the best or anything maybe just first drills that come to mind

What is your experience?
Ways to get comfortable in that mid range/pocket? Just go lighter or with junker people?

-Offense
-Defense
-Partnered
-Solo

Doesn’t have to be the best or anything maybe just first drills that come to mind

I can answer 2 of those questions, you get comfortable with experience in mid range and the pocket range. And you should be sparring with some people of varying skill levels but a little more with people who are better then you.

What's the best way to handle a boxer with really good cardio and very durable, that pressures you with volume punches? And also is good with setting up combinations?

is this a sparring partner or is this for a fight?

Get better at side steps and angles. more often then not when faced with the pressure we get stuck on the ropes/corner. keep the fight in the middle of the ring with short pivots. if he has a low center of gravity in his stance uppercuts will be your best friend. TIme his entries with rear uppercuts lead hooks.

What is your experience?

-Offense
-Defense
-Partnered
-Solo

I have about 15 years of boxing experience. Never fought, I was focused on basketball until I hurt my back my sr year in high school. Then I switched to coaching. I was the boxing coach at a mma gym for 5 years before we closed. I now freelance at gyms as a sparring partner for pros and amateurs or coach when necessary. I am working with a kid ( 14) who wants to fight. We will see how that goes.

With anything you get more comfortable the more time, you speed working on it. Partner drills where you and your partner throws a combo ( such as a 1/2) then the defender slips/rolls. As you progress you then add counters after you slip/roll. switch up the combos to simulate real fighting. start slow at first, then work your way up to full contact drills.

offense drill: focused shadow boxing - find a movement you want to work on for example jab counters then visualize the jab then counter with a punch then add a defensive action after your counter is complete. shadow boxing this way allows you to develop muscle memory for a specific action vs just warming up.
defensive drill: the drill I explained for your second question
partnered drill: sinster's circle drill
solo: focused shadow boxing

is this a sparring partner or is this for a fight?

Get better at side steps and angles. more often then not when faced with the pressure we get stuck on the ropes/corner. keep the fight in the middle of the ring with short pivots. if he has a low center of gravity in his stance uppercuts will be your best friend. TIme his entries with rear uppercuts lead hooks.

Nah just a hypothetical situation. In a fight it is much more important. I actually use to have good footwork last year but now I can't seem to get the same footwork. I've been looking at the Cuban boxing thread I'm trying to incorporate it into my training.

Any drill on incorparating lateral movement in your boxing? I just kind of started working on lateral movement. I ve been doing rounds circling around the bag both ways jabbing. Then I would do rounds where I will do a combination then slip + pivot combo (slip left + pivot left or slip right + pivot right). What other drills I can try?

Why can't I find good instructionals that explain leg/hip movement ?

AMA about boxing

Do you bang?

Rate spacetime's technique

Nah just a hypothetical situation. In a fight it is much more important. I actually use to have good footwork last year but now I can't seem to get the same footwork. I've been looking at the Cuban boxing thread I'm trying to incorporate it into my training.

The biggest thing is effort and consistent practice

Any drill on incorparating lateral movement in your boxing? I just kind of started working on lateral movement. I ve been doing rounds circling around the bag both ways jabbing. Then I would do rounds where I will do a combination then slip + pivot combo (slip left + pivot left or slip right + pivot right). What other drills I can try?

Punching while pivoting. Jab cross piviot to your cross side. Cross hook piviot to your hook side. Good place to start. Good luck

The people who are good at teaching those things aren't interested in making instructionals.

Because most guys don't know shit about boxing.

Sinister has a ton of good info on positioning. What specifically are you trying to fix with your movement ?

Because most guys don't know shit about boxing.

Sinister has a ton of good info on positioning. What specifically are you trying to fix with your movement ?
I'm just trying to mix in different styles, the side steps, half steps are pretty fundamental I'm looking for more advanced stuff, I guess coaches are safekeeping anything they find out, that's why boxing hasn't really evolved in contrary to grappling and mma.

I'm just trying to mix in different styles, the side steps, half steps are pretty fundamental I'm looking for more advanced stuff, I guess coaches are safekeeping anything they find out, that's why boxing hasn't really evolved in contrary to grappling and mma.
Maybe. Boxing coaches generally don't have an eye for marketing. They would rather have you come study at their feet vs releasing videos.

Also instructionals rarely generate a return that matters once you factor in time production costs and marketing.

Advance stuff is just fundamentals that are done expertly.

Lomo for example uses pivots that you are taught day one.

Upload a video and we can tweak your footwork

Why it feels weird to pivot to my cross side? At first when I pivot I am like wtf did I just.do? Then I do it and I am like well that is easy. Then I try to do again and.it feels weird.

I don't remember exactly who gave me this tip, but when pivoting and circling to the cross side focusing on turning the rear foot towards the opponent has helped me keeping that foot at a proper 45° angle.

I don't know if you have this same problem, but the deal with me was when I stepped right my rear foot would end up too sideways, pointing away from my opponent

What would you say is the most important aspect for a beginner to focus on? Conditioning, Footwork, Punching Technique, Timing etc.
Any tips in particular for landing body shots? Any time I thrown them they feel awkward and ineffective
Running Vs Skipping? I know both are important but would you recommend focusing on one over the other? I remember hearing Brendan Ingle had Prince Naseem do very little road work but rather skip endlessly instead.

Back