Amanda Nunes (in may): I'm not interested in fighting Cyborg.Also Cyborg called out Cat who beat her

bjjwar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Cyborg called out Ronda when everyone was saying Ronda was unbeatable, once ever athlete and would beat men. She also called out Holly, Miesha and Cat at their top when Nunes was seen as a bum and just said she WOULD fight Nunes, but rather not to because there are only 2 fu**** good brazilians in wmma fighting around that weight class=2 possible brazilian champs. The most funny part is that we on sherdog will then make threads how there are more merican champs than brazilians (if Nunes would vacate her 135 belt and fight Cyborg at 145). When you're in the minority you try not to kill off your own people IF YOU CAN, it's actually common sense.

In every sport EVERY country tries to have as much athletes from their own country at the top and ALWAYS try to not knock each other off before they're in the finals. Since the vast majority of fighters are americans in the UFC, it's even a worse situation.

Claudia Gadelha also said she would rather not fight Jessica Andrade because both are brazilians. She'll only do it now just because everyone else ducked her. Same statement Cyborg gave. She would fight Amanda but would prefer not to.

Also here's what Nunes said way before:
Link: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/...-interested-in-fighting-cris-cyborg-right-now

Nunes wanted to fight at 145 and get two belts when De Randaime was champ. Does anyone really think that now that Cyborg's the champ at 145 she'll call her out?
This is just to show again how dumb it is to pick a fighter's line in an interview and make interpretations to make him look bad.

Last edited:
I don't buy it that it is "national pride" or anything like that. To build up their careers, they fight plenty of brazilians in the smaller tournaments there. We've had great fights between brazilians, like Shogun-Lyoto, Anderson-Vitor, Werdum-JDS and so on.

I've spent enough time in Brazil.....frankly, the reason they do not fight one another is that they sell a lot less if the opponent is also brazilian. The way to sell over there is to pitch a "brazilian against something else", otherwise there is little interest.

The fighters themselves, when they make it big, don't seem to care: they live up here and so on. If they both go unbeaten for over a year or so, the UFC should make it happen. But I think Nunes will lose before Cyborg....

Cyborg on July 10, 2016, the same day Amanda won the belt:
"I won't fight a Brazilian at 140 but now that miesha, Ronda, holly aren't champ maybe they'll fight me."

Good try, though.

Last edited:
If Amanda & Cyborg fight, one of them is guaranteed (except a draw) to be the 1st UFC female 2 weight champ, the 1st Brazilian 2 weight champ & the 2nd simultaneous 2 weight champ.

I don't care what anyone says, history will see this as a major achievement in Brazilian Mma.

When you're in the minority you try not to kill off your own people IF YOU CAN, it's actually common sense.

No, that's actually really silly. This sport isn't about minority vs majority, or this nation vs that nation. It's about one individual trying to prove his superiority over another individual. Period. Most fighters are perfectly willing to fight their own countrymen.

Last edited:
I don't buy it that it is "national pride" or anything like that. To build up their careers, they fight plenty of brazilians in the smaller tournaments there. We've had great fights between brazilians, like Shogun-Lyoto, Anderson-Vitor, Werdum-JDS and so on.

I've spent enough time in Brazil.....frankly, the reason they do not fight one another is that they sell a lot less if the opponent is also brazilian. The way to sell over there is to pitch a "brazilian against something else", otherwise there is little interest.

The fighters themselves, when they make it big, don't seem to care: they live up here and so on. If they both go unbeaten for over a year or so, the UFC should make it happen. But I think Nunes will lose before Cyborg....
Yeah maybe.
But let's say you, as an american, go wrestle in a russian org and there are 30 russian wrestlers you could call out and 1 american. Who would you rather wrestle? Is it really that hard to believe that you'd rather pick a russian wrestler instead of crushing your only and own countrydude?

If Nunes was the champ at 145 i'm pretty sure they'd fight each other, no questions about it. But in this case cyborg still has other options.

No, that's actually retardation. This sport isn't about minority vs majority, or this nation vs that nation. It's about one individual trying to prove his superiority over another individual. Period. Most fighters are perfectly willing to fight their own countrymen.
Well she said she WOULD fight Nunes. She's wiling to fight her, but would prefer taking on Holm or someone else. Why not? She called out better girls than Nunes, so that means it's not about fear but really about the country. And in this case Amanda and Cyborg are the only ones. It's not like you have 10 brazilian girls at the top.

Yeah maybe.
But let's say you, as an american, go wrestle in a russian org and there are 30 russian wrestlers you could call out and 1 american. Who would you rather wrestle? Is it really that hard to believe that you'd rather pick a russian wrestler instead of crushing your only countrymen?

If Nunes was the champ at 145 i'm pretty sure they'd fight each other, no questions about it. But in this case cyborg still has other options.

I agree. That's exactly the point, but for the brazilian market a lot more the case than in the US. In america we are used to calling our own sports "world championships". We have the world series, and so on. In other countries, you really need the "formality of facing a foreigner" for the thing to draw attention.

I was in Brazil during an olympic summer game, when the beach volleyball final was Brazil against Brazil: the ratings were lower than in most other beach volleyball matches. I think it would not be the case in the US (I might be wrong).

But of course: you add all the spices that make the fight interesting, and American against Russian is cooler than against the other american, I'm with you.

Well she said she WOULD fight Nunes. She's wiling to fight her, but would prefer taking on Holm or someone else. Why not? She called out better girls than Nunes, so that means it's not about fear but really about the country. And in this case Amanda and Cyborg are the only ones. It's not like you have 10 brazilian girls at the top.

She said she would fight Amanda *IF* she felt that the fans were interested. The fans ARE interested and she still isn't talking about fighting her. You also neglected to mention the part where Cyborg says she's going to avoid the fight. So she WOULD fight Nunes, but she's going to do everything in her power to see that it doesn't happen. That's meaningless. You say she called out Cat? Then how do you explain this?

If Amanda & Cyborg fight, one of them is guaranteed (except a draw) to be the 1st UFC female 2 weight champ, the 1st Brazilian 2 weight champ & the 2nd simultaneous 2 weight champ.

I don't care what anyone says, history will see this as a major achievement in Brazilian Mma.

Cyborg can't drop to 135. Amanda has to win at 145lbs

It's a bullshit excuse. Cyborg just celebrated becoming a US citizen. She lives in SoCal. This is literally double ducking, and it makes sense they both want to duck eachother. They can both reign supreme in their divisions, or one of them takes an L. It makes perfect sense they don't want to fight, but drop this it's cuz she's from Brazil bullshit. Does anyone actually believe that is her real reason for not wanting the fight? It's ridiculous.

wow they are ducking each other....Brazil in a nutshel

Brazilians love to use the nationality thing to duck each other. Chute Boxe and BTT never did that shit back when MMA didn't suck.

also
No one has to go up if he/she does not want to

stop forcing
Jones to fight miocic at 265
DJ to fight TJ/Cody at 135lbs
Joanna to fight Valentina at 125lbs
Amanda to fight Cyborg at 145lbs

They don't have to move up because of you. If heavier athlete wants to fight lighter one he/she should move down to him/her.

Regardless of who she fights or doesn't fight, Cyborg is the best female fighter we have ever seen and all the betas and Ronda twinks can choke on their bitterness thinking about it, but nothing they say can change it.

bork1}

Back