Amazon, Berkshire, JPMorgan team up on health care

WalkenWouldOwn

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...jpmorgan-to-set-up-a-health-company-for-staff

Three corporate giants are teaming up to combat what billionaire Warren Buffett calls a “hungry tapeworm” feasting on the U.S. economy: health care.

Amazon.com Inc., Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and JPMorgan Chase & Co. said they plan to collaborate on a way to offer health-care services to their U.S. employees more transparently and at a lower cost. The three companies plan to set up a new independent company “that is free from profit-making incentives and constraints,” according to a short statement on Tuesday.

Thoughts? Will Trump tweet about his seething jealousy of Bezos? Is this the first step to improving health care?

Sounds good. I hope they succeed tremendously and that their system will be copied by everyone.

In before Trumpers say only the Dear Leader can fix health care.

In all seriousness though good for these guys. Ultra rich people should use their resources to better humanity. With great success comes great responsibility

Good luck dudeguys. Is it possible that a healthcare-related proposal will get no naysayers in the WR?

That's great, even if it is only for their employees.

However Americans really need health care that doesn't rely on the place they work IMO. If you get laid off from your job, you have enough other things to worry about, and healthcare shouldn't be one of them.

All I know is that being self-employed with a small, young family of 4 and a $20,000/year(minimum, zero services rendered) healthcare bill is absolutely disgusting.

It's a tax on life. In America. In 2018. And Buffet nor Bezos nor Dimon intend to do shit about that as if healthcare isn't already a corporate slobfest- let's throw more corporatists at the problem, yeah that'll work.

Last edited:

However Americans really need health care that doesn't rely on the place they work IMO. If you get laid off from your job, you have enough other things to worry about, and healthcare shouldn't be one of them.
It's a slap in the face and maybe the biggest bog down on wages currently. There's so much money tied up per worker and the people it hurts the most obviously are low income because not only do they have suppressed wages due to healthcare, but the healthcare they do receive is so piss poor they're pretty much guaranteed to a life of debt if they ever have a major health issue. Least not the impact that haves on the families of these people.

Off topic, I was looking for windshield wipers on Amazon, and the site said "Your (year make and model of my car) uses 26" inch blades for the driver side." I don't recall ever putting this information on their site, so I guess they must have purchased it from somewhere.

Imagine when Amazon starts pushing you fungal creams and anti-psychotics...

Details are still forthcoming, but these are some heavy, heavy hitters.

Berkshire Hathaway’s Warren Buffet has called the skyrocketing price of healthcare a “hungry tapeworm in the American economy” and said that something drastic needs to be done about it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-jpmorgan-chase-launch-new-healthcare-company

The new company will be “free from profit making incentives and constraints” as it seeks to cut costs and boost satisfaction for the three giant companies’ employees.

This could be a real paradigm shifter if it succeeds. Businesses are tired of being raked over the coals by ridiculous healthcare premiums, as are, of course, their employees.

I’ve long argued that businesses, especially small business, would be among the biggest winners of single payer, non-profit healthcare. This is clearly not that, but perhaps a step in the right direction in terms of the non-profit model. Who knows.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what comes out of this but that's probably going to be at least a couple of years out.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this but that's probably going to be at least a couple of years out.

Cool. I think two years should give me enough time to buff up my resume and get a job at BH. Sweet healthcare plan, here I come!

This is the problem, even if this system works and is copied:

Agree 100%. We either need AFFORDABLE healthcare (ie. Probably non-profit) through employers plus Medicare/ Medicaid to cover all who don’t have affordable healthcare through employment...

Or we just need to bite the Bullet and go single payer for everyone...

Shit has got to change, though. Something just has to give in the current setup.

This could be a real paradigm shifter if it succeeds. Businesses are tired of being raked over the coals by ridiculous healthcare premiums, as are, of course, their employees.

We cannot significantly cut health care spending without addressing and lowering the costs of the medical providers themselves. Taking the private insurance middle-man and his profits out of the equation is only half the battle.

Doctors' salaries and fees for procedures in European hospitals are something like 1/3 the cost of the US. Only a universal, public system can effectively reign in the providers.

This is relevant to my interests.

I wonder how they'll recruit Doctors to either A) use whatever insurance they develop or B) be used exclusively by these orgs perhaps?

sounds great if it actually has an effect

Back