Amazon warehouse workers skip bathroom breaks to keep their jobs, says report

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
I'm starting to think Walmart is the good guy compared to this company.

In the UK, an undercover reporter and a labor survey exposed harrowing work conditions

Amazon warehouse workers are forced to pee in bottles or forego their bathroom breaks entirely because fulfillment demands are too high, according to journalist James Bloodworth, who went undercover as an Amazon worker for his book, Hired: Six Months Undercover in Low-Wage Britain.

Bloodworth’s findings are in line with first-hand accounts collected in the survey by worker rights platform Organise, which reported that 74 percent of workers avoid using the toilet for fear of being warned they had missed their target numbers. Rising goals have also taken a toll on employees’ mental health, as 55 percent of them report having suffered depression since working at Amazon. Over 80 percent of workers said they would not apply for a job at Amazon again.

Amazon apparently doesn’t allow employees enough time for breaks, let alone sick days, and that also includes individuals who may be pregnant. “From their point of view, we don’t have the right to be ill,” one worker who is a parent wrote anonymously in the Organise survey. Another worker said that although they had presented a sick note for being ill, their supervisor still called a meeting to discuss their conduct.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/16/17243026/amazon-warehouse-jobs-worker-conditions-bathroom-breaks

Trump has made no secret of his disdain for Amazon. Wonder why Trump hasn't used Amazon's harsh working conditions to publicly hit them, and see if the law can do anything about it. Amazon working conditions has been known / reported on for atleast 2 + years.

Definitely not on Bezos's side in Amazon's feud with Trump.

I cant shed a tear for someone who signed on and continues to be employed at a place that doesn't care about them.

If there was ever a time to tell someone to pull up their bootstraps and make their situation better..

lmao @ what poor people do for money.

I guess this wasn't just a product they were selling but also the company uniform as well...

slavery-baby-shirt.jpg

Trump has made no secret of his disdain for Amazon. Wonder why Trump hasn't used Amazon's harsh working conditions to publicly hit them, and see if the law can do anything about it. Amazon working conditions has been known / reported on for atleast 2 + years.

Definitely not on Bezos's side in Amazon's feud with Trump.

You're giving Trump way too much credit.

His contempt for Amazon has nothing to do with their labor practices, etc., and everything to do with the fact that he got his feelings hurt by Bezos' comments a couple years ago about strapping Trump to a rocket and blasting him into space.

Trump doesn't give a shit about the common person.

In the UK, are you free to quit your job?

In the US - if I had a job like that I would just leave and go somewhere else.

Why can't they do the same?

His contempt for Amazon has nothing to do with their labor practices, etc., and everything to do with the fact that he got his feelings hurt by Bezos' comments a couple years ago about strapping Trump to a rocket and blasting him into space.
So Trump is right for the wrong reasons? Sounds about right.

If they don’t like it they don’t have to work there. You take a job, you weigh the pros and cons and you either stay and make it work or you quit and find another job.

Trump doesn't give a shit about the common person.

And Bezos has quite a bit more money Trump.

Last edited:
If they don’t like it they don’t have to work there. You take a job, you weigh the pros and cons and you either stay and make it work or you quit and find another job.
Or you help an investigative reporter screw your employer for producing such shitty work conditions in the hope it changes things. I think I like that option better.

That's awful.

Pretty sure the guy that made a thread in the Mayberry about how losing $14 is impacting his life, mentioned that he drives for Amazon.

That's awful.

Pretty sure the guy that made a thread in the Mayberry about how losing $14 is impacting his life, mentioned that he drives for Amazon.
Oh shit I saw that thread, I didn't read too far into the OP because it seemed depressing so I backed out. That sucks.

Just my 2 cents here. I worked for a company that did the automated conveyors at an Amazon distribution center and also the Roomba like shelf grabbers that would bring the items to the picker, rather than the picker walking around the rows and rows of shelves in certain areas

They worked hard, no idea what the pay, but per each shift I saw they had some goofy shift workplace health coach that would lead them in stretching before the shift, walk around and remind people to drink water and sit for 5 if needed, and divvyed up the 15 minute breaks every I think 3 hours (they staggered them all rather than all at say 9am)

Honestly it looked patronizing and offensive to be babysat and coddled like that, not overworked. This was a new facility though so I don't know if things are different in the older ones work culture wise. I do know they certainly have a pick quota to hit

Funny part of working there was the "Wall of Shame" of all the employees they'd not only fired but took to court as harshly as they possibly could for stealing on the job. Their pictures, names, and story of what they did was immortalized up there. From a guy being fired and fined $100 for stealing a phone charger, to someone who somehow made off with 400k worth of electronics before getting caught and was currently in year 3 of a 5 year sentence. They had year by year mugshot updates of him lol

Some of the attempts, since workers have metal detectors and pockets inside out upon entry and exit, were rather hilarious

That's awful.

Was he a Trump voting Republican by any chance?

Or you help an investigative reporter screw your employer for producing such shitty work conditions in the hope it changes things. I think I like that option better.

That’s an option lol there’s a lot of people working in the same conditions but not for a company as big as amazon and nobody will ever know or care.

The conflict between labour and ownership is really complex though and sometimes “changing things” works out way worse for the workers (warehouses close, workers are replaced with robots.) Having to skip bathroom breaks is actually not a big deal and the only type of people I’d expect to complain are the same ones who think the solution is peeing in a bottle.

This is such a lazy argument it should be banned from the forum. People "choose" to work in sweatshops too. That doesn't make it right. They have no other options and are desperate. I mean, why have any labor laws. If you don't like the place is dangerous and scummy, just quit?

Libertarians think that "consent" is some magical fairy dust that justifies everything. Get out of here with that fuckin argument.

Back