Amazon will now unlock your door and leave parcel in your house. Not an April Fool.

Another shitty misinformed thread by OP. You make it sound like they’ll break into your house, but you have to allow it.

And as far as people “hacking locks” go - you’d be amazed how easy it is to get into the average person’s house with homemade lock picks. Anyone who has a Home Depot cheapo lock like Schlage or Kwikset door lock (about 80% of people in US, most likely more) can be picked by an amateur in minutes, less than a minute for someone with experience. Shit, it’s harder to pick a lock in Skyrim. I used to acquire door locks to pick and re-pin for fun and now they’re too easy. I could plunder my neighbor’s house right now if I wanted to but I’m not that guy.

It won’t take off, just like drone delivery won’t take off. Their lockers are everywhere and that’s good enough - those are pretty cool actually.
I saw a video of an experienced locksmith who said he couldn't pick the newer design of Kwikset that was re-designed to thwart picking and bumping. I saw another video from another locksmith who said the same thing. Are you familiar with those?

I've wondered why they haven't done this yet.
I'd like that, but the dumbshit delivery people would probably still leave the box on the ground in plain view to be stolen.

Drone delivery will materialize.

Nah we'll be a nuclear wasteland or one hundred feet underwater from rising sea levels or tsunamis first. Maybe not me, I'm fairly inland and would have advance warning I'd imagine but still.

I saw a video of an experienced locksmith who said he couldn't pick the newer design of Kwikset that was re-designed to thwart picking and bumping. I saw another video from another locksmith who said the same thing. Are you familiar with those?
You’re talking about the SmartKey locks. Those have special wafers instead of the normal pins. I’ve seen videos of them being picked but can’t pick the padlock one I’ve got.

But most people have your regular $15 Kwikset pin tumbler locks on their doors, usually.

Locksmiths don’t usually pick locks and many aren’t experienced pickers - their money is in replacing and selling new ones, cutting keys etc. I had two locksmiths give me free locks they’ve switched out and were never going to use and tell me I’d never pick them. I picked both.

Last edited:
they should start making homes with some sort of box where you can put your mail into
I noticed blank check orders are packed in folders instead of thick boxes where the folders can more easily fit into locked mailboxes.

I buy my drawers on Amazon. Will they fold them and put them away for me too?
They're gonna send a gay dude to wait for you to come home and try it on to make sure they fit.

You’re talking about the SmartKey locks. Those have special wafers instead of the normal pins. I’ve seen videos of them being picked but can’t pick the padlock one I’ve got.

But most people have your regular $15 Kwikset pin tumbler locks on their doors, usually.

Locksmiths don’t usually pick locks and many aren’t experienced pickers - their money is in replacing and selling new ones. I had two locksmiths give me free locks they’ve switched out and were never going to use and tell me I’d never pick them. I picked both.
I read "Advanced Smart Key" is the redesign. The guy in the video sounded like he was an experienced picker and not some average locksmith.

I think it was redesigned twice since first release. I'm wondering if the latest version is good.

I read "Advanced Smart Key" is the redesign. The guy in the video sounded like he was an experienced picker and not some average locksmith.

I’m sure it’s just SmartKey, but it’s advanced nonetheless. BosnianBill and LockPickingLawyer are two of the biggest pickers on YT. Both have defeated the SmartKey - the latter rather easily. The thing is, you pay more for those locks and the average Joe doesn’t know what’s what so they go to Home Depot and grab what’s on the shelf and affordable. The SmartKey design picks the same but the serrations in the wafers make it more difficult to feel when you’ve set a wafer.

Now Europeans - they have the fancy dimple locks - those are even more difficult and I’m surprised we don’t see them in the US more often.

I’m sure it’s just SmartKey, but it’s advanced nonetheless. BosnianBill and LockPickingLawyer are two of the biggest pickers on YT. Both have defeated the SmartKey - the latter rather easily. The thing is, you pay more for those locks and the average Joe doesn’t know what’s what so they go to Home Depot and grab what’s on the shelf and affordable. The SmartKey design picks the same but the serrations in the wafers make it more difficult to feel when you’ve set a wafer.

Now Europeans - they have the fancy dimple locks - those are even more difficult and I’m surprised we don’t see them in the US more often.
I read "Advanced" is how you know it wasn't the first version of Smart Key.

Not sure what to think when I see people claim they defeated "Smart Key" since there were multiple versions. I know the one YouTube guy did note it was a subsequent version he couldn't do anything with.

I read "Advanced" is how you know it wasn't the first version of Smart Key.

Not sure what to think when I see people claim they defeated "Smart Key" since there were multiple versions. I know the one YouTube guy did note it was a subsequent version he couldn't do anything with.

News to me. I can’t even find advanced smart key on Kwikset’s site. I do know that the first SmartKey locks had a really bad flaw that IIRC allowed someone to hit it with a hammer or something and the entire guts would fall out. Kwikset implemented a small pin in V2 to prevent that from happening so maybe that’s the advanced model, which is what’s on the market.

EDIT: Found the video of the first version.

So first people are intentionally bugging their homes with that Google listening device and now they're letting Amazon just walk inside their homes.

Whats next? Lets put Instagram cameras in our toilets. Lets let Twitter sync to our brain and automatically post up our thoughts. Maybe Facebook will come butt fuck us at the first tinge of horniness.

News to me. I can’t even find advanced smart key on Kwikset’s site. I do know that the first SmartKey locks had a really bad flaw that IIRC allowed someone to hit it with a hammer or something and the entire guts would fall out. Kwikset implemented a small pin in V2 to prevent that from happening so maybe that’s the advanced model, which is what’s on the market.
Try Googling Uptown and Downtown with your search. The thing I read specifically cited those two as having the latest design at the time. No idea if the new design trickled into other models.

Try Googling Uptown and Downtown with your search. The thing I read specifically cited those two as having the latest design at the time. No idea if the new design trickled into other models.

I think it’s just referring to SmartKey technology being advanced, not a new form. I see they say it’s the latest version but they don’t really elaborate how that is - could simply be same design with anti drill pins. Either way, you’re better off with a SmartKey than a standard Kwikset. But again, average Joe would rather pay $15-20 for a single lock than $40-50.

I think it’s just referring to SmartKey technology being advanced, not a new form. I see they say it’s the latest version but they don’t really elaborate how that is - could simply be same design with anti drill pins. Either way, you’re better off with a SmartKey than a standard Kwikset. But again, average Joe would rather pay $15-20 for a single lock than $40-50.
The thing I remember was Uptown Downtown was released well after Smart Key, so the thing I read made it sound like those models had the latest design. I also remember something about a band around the barrel that stopped picking. Without the band, the barrel could expand or something like that.

The thing I remember was Uptown Downtown was released well after Smart Key, so the thing I read made it sound like those models had the latest design. I also remember something about a band around the barrel that stopped picking. Without the band, the barrel could expand or something like that.

If that were true they could charge a mint for those locks. No lock is pick proof. If a key can get in, a pick can get in and if the key has to lift the pins or wafers to open a lock or activate a sidebar, a pick can do the same. The only “anti-pick” measures I’ve seen a lock use are either security pins or Medeco pins, and neither are pick proof, they just make it more difficult.

Another shitty misinformed thread by OP. You make it sound like they’ll break into your house, but you have to allow it.

And as far as people “hacking locks” go - you’d be amazed how easy it is to get into the average person’s house with homemade lock picks. Anyone who has a Home Depot cheapo lock like Schlage or Kwikset door lock (about 80% of people in US, most likely more) can be picked by an amateur in minutes, less than a minute for someone with experience. Shit, it’s harder to pick a lock in Skyrim. I used to acquire door locks to pick and re-pin for fun and now they’re too easy. I could plunder my neighbor’s house right now if I wanted to but I’m not that guy.

It won’t take off, just like drone delivery won’t take off. Their lockers are everywhere and that’s good enough - those are pretty cool actually.
Really? That sounds like a really fun cheap hobby to get into. Where would i even start? Is there a place to get old locks for cheap?

This is seriously one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. They clearly have not thought this through.

How long before the first Amazon deliverer gets charged with burglary?

How long before the first Amazon deliverer gets shot by an unaware startled homeowner?

How long before the first Amazon deliverer gets mauled by dogs?

Pure lunacy.

Back