Ambidextrous Penetration Step

SidRon

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Is it worth dedicating the time to develop your penetration step with both the left and right leg lead or should you focus your effort on only improving the leg you lead with?

Well it depends, if you are doing competition focus on the lead leg otherwise it's better to train both sides.

Is it worth dedicating the time to develop your penetration step with both the left and right leg lead or should you focus your effort on only improving the leg you lead with?
Which type of penetration steps number one.which shots, what lead leg. As well as using two leads legs or constantly switching puts you out of position or walks into shots.. it’s not as simple as you’re making it lol

Which type of penetration steps number one.which shots, what lead leg. As well as using two leads legs or constantly switching puts you out of position or walks into shots.. it’s not as simple as you’re making it lol
Let me simplify, should you ever switch stances to take a shot?

You should always have an attack to both sides of your opponents body, but having an ambidextrous penetration shot is extremely difficult. It's like learning to write with your non dominant hand. You are actually better off perfecting the penetration shot to your good side.

Let me simplify, should you ever switch stances to take a shot?
It depends.. are you hitting a shift to help your shot ? It’s a lot like boxing actually, you can switch lead legs to set up something or cover distance etc. but switching constantly telegraphs and/or leads you open to attacks

Most people develop an inside step/head outside attack to one side and and outside step/sweep/head inside to the others and/or have an outside penetration step to both sides, and shift to cover distance if it’s their trail leg side. But I know very few of any that actually can or are consistently effective switching stances and at the same time taking a inside penetration step to both sides

Ok, I think I understand what you guys are saying. Stick with your dominant stance and just employ different techniques from that stance depending on your opponents stance. For example if you and your opponent are both left lead then an inside penetration step to a double leg or a head outside single. If you are left lead and your opponent is right lead then your penetration step goes outside his lead leg and you do a head inside single instead of switching your stance so that you could right lead an inside penetration step to the double.

Ok, I think I understand what you guys are saying. Stick with your dominant stance and just employ different techniques from that stance depending on your opponents stance. For example if you and your opponent are both left lead then an inside penetration step to a double leg or a head outside single. If you are left lead and your opponent is right lead then your penetration step goes outside his lead leg and you do a head inside single instead of switching your stance so that you could right lead an inside penetration step to the double.
Sorta..

You can hit all the same attack’s regardless of what leg they lead, I lead my left and hit a high crotch on right leg leads because I aim at his hips not the leg, I hit sweep singles the same regardless of what leg is led etc. what changes is the set ups and tactics and ties.

If you lead your left, you need a double and single first but just learn how to wrestle

If you can only penetrate with a right leg, you limit yourself only doubles and highcrotch to the right, and singles to the left. Dont listen to some of these guys; its easier than you think. I have first year wrestlers who are 12 who can do it.

If you can only penetrate with a right leg, you limit yourself only doubles and highcrotch to the right, and singles to the left. Dont listen to some of these guys; its easier than you think. I have first year wrestlers who are 12 who can do it.
I use knee pulls and outside steps to give both kinds of attacks to each side without switching

Generally in any grappling style you get good on one side and after you've attained a certain level of skill it's pretty easy to switch to the opposite side. I generally lead right in Judo, pass right in BJJ, but I've done both long enough that I can pretty easily switch leads without a great loss in efficacy. Even in wrestling, which I'm not that great at, I can shoot all right both sides though my left lead stuff is very MMA oriented so the level change is a little less and the knee often doesn't touch.

I use knee pulls and outside steps to give both kinds of attacks to each side without switching
Op was referencing penetration steps. Of course there are arm drags and head & arms that you can attack to the other side with an opposite side lead, but I was answering his question about penetration steps.

Op was referencing penetration steps. Of course their are arm drags and head & arms that you can attack to the other side with an opposite side lead, but I was answering his question about penetration steps.
Oh ok my bad.

Oh ok my bad.
I will say this: I teach knee pull and fake/pull to square them before I ever have them switching leads when I get them in 6th-9th grade. Switching stances and going opposite side is stuff we get into over xmas break

I will say this: I teach knee pull and fake/pull to square them before I ever have them switching leads when I get them in 6th-9th grade. Switching stances and going opposite side is stuff we get into over xmas break
I gotcha, Im using break to expand what I’ve taught them so far but I’m still introducing singles because of my attendance issues being where I’m at. I haven’t even considered taught things to both sides because I have to keep it simple at the moment

On a side note, I finally have them taking good attacks as a team. They fell in love The the baseball tie and using it to yank and snap people around and open up shots. They’re buying in.

I’d say hell yes.

When I wrestled competitively, I only had one good side to double. I couldn’t switch stances and still can’t. I’d have to drill my bad side 2000x before attempting against a skilled opponent.

In MMA I would say it’s almost mandatory because losing your penetration leg to leg kicks and being forced to switch Southpaw or conventional might be the only choice you have.

Back