America’s not so great military

I don't agree with all of your assessments. Mainly that the Iraqi army freely joined ISIS. I believe many were coerced, fled, and of course some joined, allot were killed as well. ISIS was allowed freedom of movement by fear of the population not exactly support, but obviously some support as well. It's a minor point but thought I'd mention it.

Large chunks of it did. That's how ISIS was suddenly able to drive our tanks and use of vehicles freely. Obviously they executed some IA's, but from what I saw it looked mainly like the secular officer class that we'd worked hard to build over a long time.

I wouldn't call it a mass invasion but, not sure when you here last, it might be more then you're alluding to. Our support extended far beyond 'just bombs'. I don't call what we did here a win for us or Iraq. We stopped the bleeding, it had to be done, ISIS was good for no one. Now we wait and see. The election results will be telling, they're still on day 0, for the record.

I'm not trying to give the impression that our Special Forces were not involved. Heavily. I'm simply saying we weren't involved with mass numbers of American Troops. Oddly enough it's the exact embodiement of the "light footprint" strategy as far as troop numbers that the Bush administration was so in favor of the first time around.

Wait, so your telling me that when they said they dropped the MOAB in Afganistan to collpase the tunnels in the mountains of Afghanistan that the CIA built in the 80's, that was complete BS?

If that bunker is deep inside a cave, inside a mountain in Afghanistan, the enemy is well protected. Not even a 5 megaton thermonuclear device will touch him. Nukes don't work very well against mountains.

The MOAB against a mountain. The U.S. Air Force. :)
There is a reason why part of the NORAD Combat Operations Center is located inside the Cheyenne Mountains.

I will take your run of the mill West Point Captain, and a average US Army Infantry Company, over any Infantry in the world.

You say without bombs, the US military is nothing. You are partly right. Without armored vehicles, close air support, communications, superior fire power, supply logistics, and the knowledge to deploy these things in a effective, efficient, and timely manor, the US combat soldier is not very impressive.

I would say a U.S. Army Light Infantry Platoon with a mortar section attached in the hands of a 22 year old 2nd Lieutenant can cause plenty of damage. After all these years, I'm still amazed at how much power to kill and destroy the U.S. Army and the U.S. government put in the hands of a 22 year old.

I would say that the South Korean Army Special Forces would have JTF2 for breakfast. Yeah, soldiers can play on the water too.

I would say a U.S. Army Light Infantry Platoon with a mortar section attached in the hands of a 22 year old 2nd Lieutenant can cause plenty of damage. After all these years, I'm still amazed at how much power to kill and destroy the U.S. Army and the U.S. government put in the hands of a 22 year old.

So true, think of the kid who got to push "the big red button" lmfao to launch these tomahawks...

This would be scary as fuck sucks for those who lived near the air base.

Large chunks of it did. That's how ISIS was suddenly able to drive our tanks and use of vehicles freely. Obviously they executed some IA's, but from what I saw it looked mainly like the secular officer class that we'd worked hard to build over a long time.

I'm not trying to give the impression that our Special Forces were not involved. Heavily. I'm simply saying we weren't involved with mass numbers of American Troops. Oddly enough it's the exact embodiement of the "light footprint" strategy as far as troop numbers that the Bush administration was so in favor of the first time around.

No doubt anyone thought to be unloyal was first to flee or be killed.

The general consensus in our community is if a smaller force were implemented during the bulk of the Iraq campaign, then things might have turned out far different, for the better.

From my end seemingly there was not a single thought given to transitioning of power back the the Iraqis. Or considerations to the secratarian divide and the consequences of removing an authoritarian leader, who for all of his faults, maintained governance control.

Well anyways here we are.. 15 years later.

Somebody was having fun in Iraq. :)
That is not a Cobra (AH-1) helicopter, it is a heavily outfitted Black Hawk (UH-60) helicopter and Little Bird (MH-6). I did not see too many of those in Iraq, I did see the Apaches (AH-64) though. I also saw them doing their night firing training at Ft. Hood, TX.

Last edited:
Let’s be real.

I’m not hating. I’m being realistic.

America has won just one time since WWII. Korea considered a draw. Vietnam considered an outright loss (more political, but still). Won desert storm. Iraq and Afghanistan have been failures so far. The main issue with Iraq and Afghanistan is you can’t win because there’s no way you’re going to destroy an idea (an idea that you guys created), but you can’t leave or just ask for peace at this point anymore. Ya fucked up, big time.

Technologically, you’re the best. Strategically, on the ground, hmm..

So amazing that one if your own prefers to use special forces from a different country instead of his own, lol.

I’m not saying any specific country is better because in reality we’re all not nearly as powerful as we think. I honestly feel america has become too reliant on their tech and their soldiers aren’t what they used to be. There’s more to war than just bombs. How are you on the ground? Definitely one of the best still, but without your bombs you’re in a real hard place.

Believe me I’m on your side when I say this. These are just historical facts. So don’t hate on me, hate reality.

I love you, Murica. Canada is more Americanized than you seem to think (except the French part above us).

This is the reality of war. Let’s understand these countries we’ve all made fun of are VERY capable. They’re stronger than you’d think. America has went through hell time and time again and in the end it’s almost always never worked out. War is complicated.

This is gonna upset some people for no reason, but oh well. Ignore facts again and share opinions. Time for war.
This is just more proof that America and Canada should merge. OK, OK, Trudeau can be president until we have unified elections. :D

You are using outdated tactics...

Victory used to have to come militarily...we use economics also which is why we always win and come out on top. Hell, we made Japan submit and open their boarders without having to kill anyone. How many other nations can make such a claim.
There's probably some historical reference I'm not aware of but I can't help think of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

I think the American Military has done a pretty good job. I'm proud of our Armed Forces.
Me too. Wish I could say that about our President. Who am I kidding though. If it wasn't Deceptive Don it would have been Crooked Hillary. :D

Whats from WWII? Did you mistake my comment about Japan for that? Are you really THAT unread?!? No wonder you made the post you made ROFLMAO!
Don't be a condescending cunt and just explain your reference. And if you want to gloat at least fix your typo because I'm not sure how Japan would be able to open any boarders they happen to be hosting.

Don't be a condescending cunt and just explain your reference. And if you want to gloat at least fix your typo because I'm not sure how Japan would be able to open any boarders they happen to be hosting.

Thats why I accused him of being unread, for the same reason you are only you did not create the topic being a condescending cunt making these claims, which are baseless to anyone that knows history.

Japan's boarders were closed to the world for almost 300 years and America forced them open in the 1850s by making them capitulate without even killing anyone...a thing Britain had been trying to do for over 100 years and failed constantly...and perhaps if you had read the rest of my replies, you would have seen me point this out pages ago.

If that was you then I commend you. Thank you for your service.

Hell, we made Japan submit and open their boarders without having to kill anyone.
Japan's boarders were closed to the world for almost 300 years and America forced them open in the 1850s by making them capitulate without even killing anyone...

But that is not the whole story now is it? Why did Japan agree to open their borders to America in 1854? Because America held a gun to their head.

"In 1852, American Commodore Matthew C. Perry embarked from Norfolk, Virginia, for Japan, in command of a squadron that would negotiate a Japanese trade treaty. Aboard a black-hulled steam frigate, he ported Mississippi, Plymouth, Saratoga, and Susquehanna at Uraga Harbor near Edo (present-day Tokyo) on July 8, 1853, and he was met by representatives of the Tokugawa Shogunate. They told him to proceed to Nagasaki, where the sakoku laws allowed limited trade by the Dutch. Perry refused to leave, and he demanded permission to present a letter from President Millard Fillmore, threatening force if he was denied. Japan had shunned modern technology for centuries, and the Japanese military wouldn't be able to resist Perry's ships; these "Black Ships" would later become a symbol of threatening Western technology in Japan. Perry returned in March 1854 with twice as many ships, finding that the delegates had prepared a treaty embodying virtually all the demands in Fillmore's letter; Perry signed the U.S.- Japan Treaty of Peace and Amity on March 31, 1854, and departed."

Last edited:
But that is not the whole story now is it? Why did Japan agree to open their borders to America in 1854? Because America held a gun to their head.

Did I or did I not say "without killing anyone"...and the original point was that America has won at times by more than just victory in battle...

<WellThere>

Thats why I accused him of being unread, for the same reason you are only you did not create the topic being a condescending cunt making these claims, which are baseless to anyone that knows history.

Japan's boarders were closed to the world for almost 300 years and America forced them open in the 1850s by making them capitulate without even killing anyone...a thing Britain had been trying to do for over 100 years and failed constantly...and perhaps if you had read the rest of my replies, you would have seen me point this out pages ago.
This was 10 pages long when I began reading so please forgive me. Bringing up Commodore Perry though seems like a bit of a stretch. We're talking about American military might. Let's try to keep it in this century.

Did I or did I not say "without killing anyone"...and the original point was that America has won at times by more than just victory in battle...

<WellThere>
Just like you can assert Trump won the 2016 election and avoid mentioning Russian interference.

Back