America and immigration.

squeezewax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Sick of hearing, 'This country was built on immigration!' I see Americans saying it and it's proclaimed down here in Australia too.
Yes it was built on immigration, just like Australia was, but times are so much different these days. Back they we weren't concerned about maybe letting in the odd terrorists or two, for example.

I couldn't believe my ears recently, when i first heard about this lottery for getting immigrants in the country.
It seems almost unbelievable for the most powerful nation on the planet to get migration like this. I realize it was originally done for diversity, but again times have changed.

This chain-migration. So one person gets into the country, how long before he can send for family members? How many family members are allowed to join this new migrant?

Then all the people sneeking over the border which the democrats don't want to stop because they see future voters. They don't seem to care about the long term effect on American society, and they DO appear to care more for illegal aliens and future ones than the American people.
I heard the other day that Arizona is gradually becoming a Hispanic society, don't know if thats true? However there is a very large latino population thats steadily growing.

I'm all for immigration, but a government should look after the people that are already living in the society and not drastically change it.
Here in Australia we have a points based merit immigration scheme. We let people come into the country based on age, education, and things like that. The country wants people from particular professions, trades, etc, and hopefully all these people will benefit the country and make it better.

This rant was a bit all over the place, and seems to fall into the category of not all thoughts need to be threads.

But I find it interesting that you are Australian and a lot of other people who seem to have a keen interest in American immigration policy are also from other countries.

You say America is the greatest country on the planet, and I agree. Do you have any interest in moving here? If so, should we let you in?

It's not the complicated and not difficult process to manage. We admit via lottery but everyone admitted via lottery still has to be vetted, still has to be educated or have 2 years of work experience in a field that requires training, stil have to demonstrate that they will have a way to support themselves when they get here, etc.

Contrary to what people might think, this isn't a pure lottery where vetting criteria don't apply.

I'm too lazy to flesh out chain migration.

Pretty sure the founding fathers wanted the US to be a country made up of Europeans

What's this? I'm just reading now about immigration. Look, I'm all for helping people, but come on now, am I right? I mean sheesh now you've got people moving to where they weren't before? Where will it end? I say we've got to draw the line somewhere.

The country was never built on immigration. What a stupid premise.

Europeans took the land from the natives and built a government as far from the monarchy that they knew as they possibly could. The country was built on laws of a republic. Immigration resulted from an exploding economy. It wasn't built on it.

at least Australia is surrounded by a natural man made "wall" made out of seawater.

Sick of hearing, 'This country was built on immigration!' I see Americans saying it and it's proclaimed down here in Australia too.
Yes it was built on immigration, just like Australia was, but times are so much different these days. Back they we weren't concerned about maybe letting in the odd terrorists or two, for example.

Nice example. Almost all terrorism on US soil has happened by US citizens.

at least Australia is surrounded by a natural man made "wall" made out of seawater.

The US has a water wall between it and the "shithole" countries, too. But it's not a sufficient barrier when we're paying to have them flown and shipped in.

immigration system is fine now, in the past yes there was a more mass/quota from specific countries process, but times were drastically different

There was much less difference between the developed and undeveloped world then, education wasn't compulsory for much of the early immigration waves so the difference in education and basic comprehension wasn't as stark as it is now.

The country was never built on immigration. What a stupid premise.

Europeans took the land from the natives and built a government as far from the monarchy that they knew as they possibly could. The country was built on laws of a republic. Immigration resulted from an exploding economy. It wasn't built on it.

Built by immigrants, not on immigration. There is a difference.

I agree.

Which is why I get in tireless arguments with people who think an agrarian culture that had muzzle loaders equates to being able to walk around the shopping mall with AR-15s.

Built by immigrants, not on immigration. There is a difference.

There is a difference, the thread title said the latter because it has been said as many times if not more than the former.

Is it fair to talk about the origins of the early immigrants who built the country and how it compares to the origins of modern immigrants? Or is that not relevant?

The US has a water wall between it and the "shithole" countries, too. But it's not a sufficient barrier when we're paying to have them flown and shipped in.
United States and Mexico shares 2000 miles of land border. A lot of illegals (other than Mexicans) from other countries use southern border to come here illegally.

United States and Mexico shares 2000 miles of land border. A lot of illegals (other than Mexicans) from other countries use southern border to come here illegally.

Do you know what a continent is?

Do you know where Africa and Haiti are located?

I agree.

Which is why I get in tireless arguments with people who think an agrarian culture that had muzzle loaders equates to being able to walk around the shopping mall with AR-15s.
I don't think the bad guys are walking around with muzzle loaders either.

Do you know what a continent is?

Do you know where Africa and Haiti are located?
when I was deployed to Yuma sector in the southern border, we apprehended illegals from Romania, all over South Americas, some Chinese, and Africans.

I agree.

Link me to the amendment the guarantees the right of migration and you might have some kind of point.

Does your view include the 1st amendment and the even bigger changes?

Back