America and its sporting heroes

People read biographies about dead people they don’t know and never will. We watch movies and tv shows about strangers pretending to be other people that then pretend to murder people. We watch reality shows about putzes acting like jackoffs.

Is reading an article about NBA players drinking wine really that out of the ordinary or weird? Probably something insightful in there for those that are curious.

I think it is pretty weird. These guys aren't great historical figures or anything like that. They aren't even experts on wine. They are good at basketball - what does one have to do with the other? I could see maybe a short article on the subject since so many players partake... but not this monstrosity.

I know a lot of sports fans...and none of them woud read that whole article. I think ESPN dropped the ball with that one.

Do you know the term hyperbole? It's when you exaggerate to achieve an effect. Also, do you know the term :eek::eek::eek:g*t? That's you motherf*cker (and before you reply - read the first part of this post... and then read the second part again. Now kneel!)

This is not a good look for you.

That's not hyperbole.

There has always been politics in and at sporting events. It was just politics folks bitching about it now agreed with.
There’s always been some level of controversial politics in sports, from Jacky Robinson to Ali and others. I think the difference now is that politics are so pervasive in sports, creating a larger link than a lot of sports fans are comfortable with. With seemingly every player taking stances and wearing those stances on their sleeves, it’s just a bit much. Given the omnipresence of politics in our society, I think there is also a desire for some escapism in modern sports, making the presence of politics in sports even more frustrating.

This is not a good look for you.

That's not hyperbole.

hyperbole
hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

My question to you yanks is this: are you really this obsessed with your sporting heroes that you want to consume book-length articles about their nouveau riche habits? I couldn't imagine anyone writing an article like this about Ronaldo and Messi, to be honest. In fact, I'm pretty sure that in Europe the NBA player's sudden obession with wine would be considered to be in bad taste (see what I did there?). What gives?

wat. I'm not a yank, but aren't you cunts obsessed with Ronaldo and Messi? Doesn't Ronaldo have his own museum to stroke his ego that plenty of folks go to?

wat. I'm not a yank, but aren't you cunts obsessed with Ronaldo and Messi? Doesn't Ronaldo have his own museum to stroke his ego that plenty of folks go to?

I read about football (aka soccer) every day and I've never come across an article like this one in all my life. I think Ronaldo's home island built a museum to draw in tourists, but fair point nonetheless. Still, even that museum is about football, it isn't about Ronaldo's penchant for leather jackets or haute cuisine or anything like that.

My question to you yanks is this: are you really this obsessed with your sporting heroes that you want to consume book-length articles about their nouveau riche habits? I couldn't imagine anyone writing an article like this about Ronaldo and Messi, to be honest.

What are you talking about? Ronaldo maintains an instagram account showcasing him fucking off around world with 120 million followers. Trust me as bad as the Yanks are with their sports heroes the rest of the world is catching up plenty.

I think it is pretty weird. These guys aren't great historical figures or anything like that. They aren't even experts on wine. They are good at basketball - what does one have to do with the other? I could see maybe a short article on the subject since so many players partake... but not this monstrosity.

It's like the old "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" show. Many people are curious about how the rich live. I don't give a shit myself but there is a huge group of people that love that stuff.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22358028/the-nba-obsession-wine

Stumbled across this article on ESPN. It's a roughly 5000 page text with glossy photos about how NBA players like to drink expensive wine. With every word, my fascination grew: why is the tone so fawning? Why would anyone in the world care? Then my scrolling hand got numb about halfway through (not that way, you bastards) and I couldn't go on reading.

My question to you yanks is this: are you really this obsessed with your sporting heroes that you want to consume book-length articles about their nouveau riche habits? I couldn't imagine anyone writing an article like this about Ronaldo and Messi, to be honest. In fact, I'm pretty sure that in Europe the NBA player's sudden obession with wine would be considered to be in bad taste (see what I did there?). What gives?

Dude...I couldn't care less about these pampered pukes. Too many Americans are overly obsessed with sports. It's pathetic

tbf we European's worship sports stars as well. Just with youtube highlights full of shitty Dutch techno

Guy was such a boss

<mma1>

hyperbole
hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

No, you misunderstand. What I said was not hyperbolic.

No, you misunderstand. What I said was not hyperbolic.

?? Dude, I was responding to a guy called IT's5025 who wrote that it was sad that I called a 5000 word article book-length. My point was that me calling the article book length was "hyperbole" as in, I was exaggerating to make a point. Then I threw in an over the top insult which was also hyperbolic - that was the joke. Unless you are secretly It's5025, I wasn't talking to you...

Stumbled across this article on ESPN. It's a roughly 5000 page text with glossy photos about how NBA players like to drink expensive wine. With every word, my fascination grew: why is the tone so fawning? Why would anyone in the world care? Then my scrolling hand got numb about halfway through (not that way, you bastards) and I couldn't go on reading.

Europeans aren't obsessed with Soccer?

TS is full of shit.

Euro-soccer stars have every fart interviewed before it dissapates.

They are trying to seel wines. They pay ESPN to mention they are wine lovers. Then they will come out with commercials, or whatever.

They following in George Clooney, and Rande Gerber foot steps. They used Cindy Crawford to bring attention to themselves, and then wham, Casamigos.

At least they are athletes. What's your excuse for fawning over fake nobility?

I don't care about what athletes or stars do in their personal lives

For Americans, sports are a microcosm of real life, not just a game. When an athlete is amazing at doing something, like shooting the ball, jumping, running fast, etc., we tend to expect that kind of proficiency out of them in every aspect of life. That, and all Americans think that one day, they’re going to be the guy drinking the expensive wine. They’re all sold that shit. “If you work hard enough, you could be the one who owns the business, corporation or whatever, raking in the dough.” The operative word being could. They don’t tell you it takes an awful lot of luck as well.

Back