AMERICAN ASSASSIN (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AMERICAN ASSASSIN, how would you rate it?

• 10 - Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 - Great

• 6 - Decent

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 2 - Terribad

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: September 13, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of AMERICAN ASSASSIN
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: A decent spy thriller highlighted with superbly choreographed fight scenes and Michael Keaton's bad-ass character.

Tx9rg9g.jpg

After his fiancee is killed by Islamic terrorists in Ibiza, Mitch Rapp (Dylan O'Brien) goes on a personal crusade to punish those responsible for the tragedy. For the next 18 months, he relentlessly trains in UFC*, tactical firearms, knife combat and even learns Arabic and the Quran just to infiltrate a terrorist cell and kill its leader.

Seeing his huge potential as a black-ops agent, CIA deputy director Irene Kennedy (Sanaa Lathan) recruits Mitch and places him in the custody of ex-Navy SEAL Stan Hurley (Michael Keaton) for boot camp training. But when the threat of a nuclear weapon comes into play, Mitch is thrust into the field where his skills and unconventional methods might just save the day.

Based on Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp novels, The Maze Runner’s Dylan has got to have one of the best Hollywood agents in town as he is poised to star in another potential action movie franchise. Not bad for a guy initially known as just the dorky sidekick in MTV’s Teen Wolf series.

Dylan got beefed up for the role and he looks very leading man-ish. He performs his actions scenes like a pro. One of the high points of the film is the realistic-looking hand-to-hand combat sequences are magnificently choreographed and sleekly executed. MMA fans will get a kick out of the many Jiu-Jitsu holds and submissions that’s being displayed.

But couldn't the author have come up with better names for their action heroes other than Mitch Rapp, which sounds like a name for an I.T. consultant, and Stan Hurley, who sounds like an overweight accountant.

Michael Keaton gives a crowd-pleasing turn with his portrayal of the bad-ass, no-nonsense Stan Hurley. It’s a meaty role and Keaton fully dives into the character with gusto and then some (he even exhibits some vintage crazy Beetlejuice-esque behavior near the end). The boot camp scenes with Hurley are the best parts of the movie and wished it were a bit longer.

The main villain is Ghost played by Taylor Kitsch, who looks like an older version of Dylan’s Mitch Rapp. Ghost was a serviceable baddie when he was always a step ahead of the good guys but he gets lame very fast when he reveals his feeble motivation for going rogue.

The first half of the film was very engaging, especially the boot camp scenes, but the second half gets progressively generic, riddled with clichés and run-of-the-mill situations. The climax features a spectacular CGI sequence (that would make Roland Emmerich proud) which doesn’t fit tonally with the rest of the film but it was still cool to watch.

Armchair writing, I thought for the first movie they should have focused on Mitch infiltrating the terrorist cell and getting his revenge at the end. The sequel would be essentially this movie with Mitch recruited by the CIA, trained by Stan and then stopping Ghost from acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Overall, it’s not a home run but it’s still an entertaining, albeit a bit generic, geopolitical thriller augmented by some great action and by the charisma of its two leads.

Rating: 7/10

*Just in case, somebody outside Sherdog reads the review, "I train UFC" is a popular meme around here.

Sounds about where I thought it would land. Probably check this out when it hits Netflix.

i thought dylan was gonna go the comedy route.

Not bad for a guy initially known as just the dorky sidekick in MTV’s Teen Wolf series.

He is by far the most talented actor in that bunch. (yet to see the final season.. yea I know shame on me for watching it but it is werewolves it's my duty).

I never usually read your reviews Dragon until I see the movie because you tend to be a bit plot revealing heavy in your reviews too close to a synopsis in my opinion for a non spoiler review, I bookmark the page until then tho.

I do look at your rating and the Bottom line, I love that format, I get a sense for your opinion just from those.

I thought this film was gonna be a sleeper. The action does look really good.

I may end up watching it.

I really like the sound of the initial plot setup where he is going to infiltrate a terrorist organization. Can I see that movie instead?

(yet to see the final season.. yea I know shame on me for watching it but it is werewolves it's my duty).

oh boy...its....its rough man... like it was written by the fan-fic writers or something ...its BAD

my girl loves DO'B so I'm pretty sure I'm stuck seeing this in theatres with her...

glad the first half is good...the trailer showing that the story is about a nuclear warhead was a massive turn off... but oh well... decent hand to hand fighting I'll take

I like Dylan OBrien, doubt I'll go see this in theatres though

*Just in case, somebody outside Sherdog reads the review, "I train UFC" is a popular meme around here.

I see free weights in the background of the Keaton pic. Can you confirm or deny that the Lord of the Wings can Bench teh 275?:)

oh boy...its....its rough man... like it was written by the fan-fic writers or something ...its BAD

I really liked the first 2 seasons of Teen Wolf.. I understood the limitations and I just had fun with it, the new werewolf, getting used to that world and new powers, the dangers.. the all dynamic with the Argent's the family of hunters, even enjoyed the teen drama and Allison stuff.

Then season 3 with the alpha pack was lower in quality overall, and weaker in story but hey it still worked but since that season they lower the quality and characters and story with each freaking season.. I only saw a bit of the last season 6 and I really had a hard time moving forward, to much teen drama and the villains and story is laughable at this point.

If anyone is reading this that is interested in Teen Wolf the MTV tv series then feel free to watch the first 2-3 seasons then drop it you will just waste time and get upset, just loyalty to the show and characters will keep you watching it.

Yo @Dragonlordxxxxx do you watch Teen Wolf ? :D if yes what do you think of it, ouch. xD

I can't take a dude named "Mitch" seriously.

At least, not as an action star.

I used to watch that show Teen Wolf with my ex, and Dylan O'Briens character was my favorite in that show, and he is good in Maze Runner.

Kitsch was awesome in Lone Survivor and Friday Night Lights (ONE OF THE GOAT SHOWS), and Michael Keaton is batman, so I'll probably go see this after I see IT

Sanaa lathans boobs and maze runner are in this count me in.

actress-sanaa-lathan-attends-the-all-def-movie-awards-at-lure-on-24-picture-id512189394

Back