AMERICAN ASSASSIN (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AMERICAN ASSASSIN, how would you rate it?

• 10 - Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 - Great

• 6 - Decent

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 2 - Terribad

• Total voters
I am a huge fan of the books and was utterly pissed when we lost both Flynn and Clancy within a year of each other. Rapp is the ultimate American badass in the series and for sure a product of the post 9/11 thinking.

Hope the movie does well and we can get either a Term Limits or Transfer of Power sequel.
you will be disappointed.

Update: September 17, 2017

AMERICAN ASSASSIN Debuts at No. 2 with Solid $14.8 Million Opening Weekend

AbAfW7X.jpg

CBS Films and Lionsgate's American Assassin placed No. 2 with a solid $14.8 million from 3,154 theaters, on par with Lionsgate's 2014 action pic John Wick ($14.4 million). The movie cost a net $33 million to make.

Directed by Michael Cuesta, American Assassin stars Dylan O'Brien as a CIA operative who teams with a veteran agent (Michael Keaton) to stop terrorists from starting a world war. The film, also featuring Sanaa Lathan, Shiva Negar and Taylor Kitsch, is based on late author Vince Flynn's novel of the same name and earned a B+ CinemaScore from audiences.

Heading into the weekend, American Assassin held only a slight edge over mother! according to tracking. But throughout the weekend, mother! continued to slip. Getting slapped with an F CinemaScore on Friday didn't help matters (only a dozen or so movies have ever received the failing grade) for mother!

Weekend Box Office: 'It' Devours Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' With $60M

Not bad. Hopefully it it will have some legs and continue to make money. Even though I didn't love it, I'd still like to see a sequel that hopefully improves a bit upon the first film.

I
I doubt they will have another one since this one didnt make that much money.

It made almost $15 million and was only expected by analysts to make between $10 and $15 million the opening weekend. With a budget of only $33 million it's not going to take a whole lot to become profitable.

It made almost $15 million and was only expected by analysts to make between $10 and $15 million the opening weekend. With a budget of only $33 million it's not going to take a whole lot to become profitable.
I hope it does, but I dont know if i see this as a movie where people come away saying--- I gota see the next one of these!!!.

I hope it does, but I dont know if i see this as a movie where people come away saying--- I gota see the next one of these!!!.

I'd go see a sequel. It sounds like @ufcfan4 and @iThrillhouse probably would, too.

It could potentially be one of those movies that does fairly well, but not great, at the theater. And then finds a bigger audience at home.

Here's an interesting fact: American Assassin made slightly more money in its opening weekend than John Wick did.

this is NOT an F grade movie by any stretch.... online rating systems are always a joke
The F CinemaGrade was for Darren Aronofsky's mother! (I'm not shouting, the title has an exclamation point :))

The F CinemaGrade was for Darren Aronofsky's mother! (I'm not shouting, the title has an exclamation point :))

haha it's worth shouting though too since only a dozen or so movies have gotten that distinction apparently.

it's funny cause the Cinemascore rating probably eroded some of the weekend audience for Mother! But after seeing it, it was always going to be a tough sell.

haha it's worth shouting though too since only a dozen or so movies have gotten that distinction apparently.

it's funny cause the Cinemascore rating probably eroded some of the weekend audience for Mother! But after seeing it, it was always going to be a tough sell.
Your mother! review was excellent btw. It didn't need a spoiler box IMO.

Your mother! review was excellent btw. It didn't need a spoiler box IMO.

Thanks man. Maybe I'll remove the tags. I did that only cause I knew Hunter was about to see it and was checking the thread and didn't want him to read about it beforehand.

"The Bro Ultimatim"

LOOOOOOOOL

Right on the money.

Last edited:
Worst movie I've seen all year and it's not even close.

Mitch Rapp, (God, what a stupid name) is the fucking worst. I spent the whole movie rooting for him to catch a bullet in the skull. The movie was so self-serious, and over acted. The plot was fucking ridiculous too, but not in a fun way, like the Kingsman flicks. It was just trash.

Keaton got the memo though, he seemed like he was enjoying taking it to 11, but everyone else was just a disaster. The action scenes were also completely forgettable. I just saw the movie and I'm having trouble remembering anything other then the boat fight.

Seriously, I can't get over how bad the main character is. His girl died in front of him, in a brutal way. Still managed to destroy any sympathy I would have felt for him the way he carried himself. God, if I paid more then 7 dollars for this, I would have stormed the ticket booth and demanded a refund.

Should have watched mother! instead. At least that was filmed well.

I give it a 7.5 purely because The Lord of the Wings still gives good Crazy. The torture scene was vintage Keaton:cool:

The opening scene where Rapp's fiance is murdered - someone cast that girl in more films that require her to wear a bikini!:) - was fucking brutal. It captures the sheer randomness of terrorism; people just going about their normal lives slaughtered by something that comes out of a clear blue sky.

The other stand-out scene for me was when the CIA team kill the terrorist Rapp has spent all this time getting close to. It was a nice inversion of the usual trope. The hero's revenge is essentially stolen from him at the last moment. Rapp stabbing the bad guy's corpse in frustration was probably the best acting O'Brian did in the movie. Not that he stinks. He's just bland.

Rapp, as has already been mentioned, is basically the Bro Cousin of Bond or Bourne. The same kind of lethal fighter without any real style, humour or empathy. The fights were slick and the training sequences were nicely done. Especially the VR with shock vests and the scenario in the fake store.

The ending was ridiculous. So far over the top it was down the other side.

Rapp is good, but he's no threat to the Big Two. Hell, I wouldn't put money on him against Jack Bauer.

Last edited:
I will consider watching a sequel only if they bring in Michael Dudikoff as his main hand to hand combat instructor. Have Christian Bale be the main bad guy with Bradley Cooper as his main henchman who happens to be an amazing marksman. Maybe give Dylan O'Brien a sidekick. How about Jason Biggs? He can be a fellow agent who runs a bakery but it's really a front for a hideout these agents can use when in trouble.

I got dragged to this tonight. Was worried it was going to be a total The Hunted ripoff, but it really wasn't. It was a pretty unoriginal paint-by-numbers genre movie - 'human weapon' movie for the first half, 'action spy' for the second - and yet, it was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Keaton is always gold, Taylor Kitsch is fun to watch, but the lead also did a better job selling himself as a badass than I thought he would. A few minor complaints here & there with the film, but nothing major; for a pretty simple popcorn flick, it did its job respectably.

The action scenes were also completely forgettable. I just saw the movie and I'm having trouble remembering anything other then the boat fight.

The opening scene is one of the most brutally visceral scenes I've ever watched in any movie.

You're telling me you can't remember that?

The opening scene is one of the most brutally visceral scenes I've ever watched in any movie.

You're telling me you can't remember that?

Dude, I literally forgot I even watched this movie until I got this quote notification. It's all rushing back to me now, and I'm angry all over again about how shit it was.

Dude, I literally forgot I even watched this movie until I got this quote notification. It's all rushing back to me now, and I'm angry all over again about how shit it was.

Bruh, you need to calm down!

@Dragonlordxxxxx, did you know the guy who plays Mitch in this shit is the same kid from the Maze Runner movies?

WTF? I guess a little facial hair goes a long way.

Back