American Jiu-Jitsu

fan of fanboys

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So I was reading an article with Shields and he mentioned his American Jiu-jitsu. Now I understand the context of his quote but I am wondering if that should/could become a form of martial arts?

We all know martial arts evolve, BJJ being a great example, and there was a great article the other day on another mma site how wrestling is the most dominant form of martial arts in mma right now. I have thought for years a great with great wrestling and subs would be the ideal prototype on the ground. And there are a few guys who have this quality to some degree (Shields, Hughes)

I know there have been threads about MMA's impact on martial arts and how the kids training today in all types from the beginning are the future of the sport. So what do you guys think about this being the next steps in MMA and being officially recognized?

When ever I hear guys talking about American Jiu-Jitsu I think it's just a more aggressive version of it's Brazilian counterpart. That's why I like watching Shields and the Diaz brothers when the fight hits the ground, they actually do get aggressive and put up a lot of offense.

American Jiu Jitsu that is Jake Shiel Jiu Jitsu could be a good martial art.

It will depends on how well Jake wants to promote it and expand the martial art.

I know Frank Shamrock wanted to promote his schools in the past but I am not too sure if his fighter carreer slowed down the expansion.

Is it an actual system or is it just a guy who is really good at jiu jitsu who also happens to be very good at wrestling?

So I was reading an article with Shields and he mentioned his American Jiu-jitsu. Now I understand the context of his quote but I am wondering if that should/could become a form of martial arts?

No, because it's just a name. Jake Shields uses wrestling takedowns and strong positional BJJ on the ground. What he does is not a new style, nor is is much different from what is commonly taught in no gi grappling right now. He still uses the same positional hierarchy as bjj, the same submissions you find in all arts, and the array of techniques he prefers is nothing new, he's just very very good at them. To that extent, every high level grappler has their own style of grappling, their favorite techniques, combinations, transitions, set-ups, etc. But not every high level grappler has their own "style" in the sense that it bears naming. It's all the same stuff, same tactics, same philosophy, just different strengths based on each grappler's preference. But not a distinct style.

You mentioned Shields and Hughes, but they have radically different styles of grappling. Shields, in my opinion, has a far superior positional game on the ground. His transitions between positions are more fluid, and he retains them better. Likewise he has a solid bottom game that works to get him on top. Just because someone has a wrestling background and learns the ground game as well doesn't mean they are the same type of grappler.

People like to take that Shields interview and harp on the "American Jiu Jitsu" part and act like they've discovered some new revolution in martial arts, but it's not, it's just a name he picked for his style. Marcelo Garcia has his own style as well. So does Jacare. So does Roger. So does Brock Lesnar. But none of them are using some revolutionary new grappling system, and in my opinion the name part is just gimmickry. Good takedowns and good ground game is a no brainer, it's not like Jake figured out that top notch bjj and top notch wrestling is a good combination. For over a decade bjj practitioners have been training wrestling to make the transition to MMA, and wrestlers have been training BJJ for the same reason (I'm not saying these are the only styles). Jake has just taken his BJJ game to a higher level than I think most wrestlers end up doing. He looks like a wrestler on his feet and a BJJ expert on the ground, and that's because he is both.

As for the aggression, again, that doesn't make a new style. That's just a tactic, and to that extent it's nothing new either. Being aggressive doesn't make something a new martial art. Also I think a lot of MMA fans would argue that he's not very aggressive anyway.

Please don't take this post as disparaging Jake in any way. I'm a big fan of his grappling game, and I enjoy watching him both grapple and fight. I just think the naming stuff is a bit silly.

When ever I hear guys talking about American Jiu-Jitsu I think it's just a more aggressive version of it's Brazilian counterpart. That's why I like watching Shields and the Diaz brothers when the fight hits the ground, they actually do get aggressive and put up a lot of offense.

I think jake shields is not the definition of an agressive grappler... I dont know whats agressive for you, but for me, is a guy who is constantly looking for submissions (off his back or on top), and jake shields is not that type of grappler, there is no way he will risk losing position for a submission, unless is the last 10 secs of the round/fight.

Well, according to Jake Shield (in my memory is correct), he said that it is more aggressive and more top control i.e wrestling compare to BJJ.

Well, according to Jake Shield (in my memory is correct), he said that it is more aggressive and more top control i.e wrestling compare to BJJ.

BJJ can be aggressive and top control, just depends on the practitioner. For example, does Wilson Reis practice American Jiu Jitsu?

AJJ (BJJ + Wrestling) seems somewhat analogous to Camarillo's Guerilla Jiu Jitsu (BJJ + Judo)

AJJ has a real nice ring to it.

Since nogi is NOT BJJ (according to this forum) then AJJ it is!

Makes sense to me, since BJJ is more judo influenced and uses a gi, and AJJ is more wrestling influenced and does not use a gi.

his logo and tattoo

jaketattoo_crop_340x234.jpg

29nwcbn.jpg

Good takedowns and good ground game is a no brainer

Then why don't more people have this type of game?

As for the aggression, again, that doesn't make a new style. That's just a tactic, and to that extent it's nothing new either.

Agree, i mean look at Carlson Gracie! This was his exact style that he taught, fast, athletic, top game BJJ.

Being aggressive doesn't make something a new martial art.

Well then why did being "passive" make a new martial for Helio in Gracie JJ?

American Jiujitsu is just a name for his particular brand of jiujitsu he prefers to market and teach at his school. Is Pedro Sauer jiujitsu, Carlson Gracie jiujitsu, Alliance jiujitsu, Nova Uniao jiujitsu all completely different styles? No, they have different emphasis and views on thing but they all stem from the same base style with a name to identify their own brand of the art but don't claim it as a whole new martial art.

Back