American Kenpo - Is it really any good for self-defense?

G

Guestx

There's been a lot of Kenpo talk lately, with the thread on why Kenpo is called Kenpo Karate and Stephen Thompson's Kenpo roots.

Personally, I find Kenpo to be pretty fascinating. Not only is there a rich and interesting history, but the system itself is, in my opinion, unique in the martial arts world in the way it's constructed and executed.

But is it really any good? All the drills I've ever seen demand the question, "Could this be used against a non-compliant assailant?" Personally, I have my doubts, but I really have no experience with the system.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have some friends who've trained kenpo and bjj for over 5 years, and from my training and occasionally sparring with them it seems an applicable style. There techniques use multiple strikes and checks moving offline and finding angles. There's a fluidity between techniques that let's them adjust to how there opponent reacts or moves. There defense is tight utilizing wing blocks and parries. Not to
mention a whole lot of eye gouging and groin strikes.

My perspective as a strictly bjj/MT/boxing student.

Oh hell yes.

Teaches compact, straigt strikes and keeping distance

Only if it's American Shaolin Kenpo.

eh From what Ive seen its alot of okay you punch at me once and i chop you on both sides of the neck, then turn around and back kick you then reverse punch you two times in the body, then crank your neck, then knee you at the same time. then bring another chop down on the top of your head.:icon_lol:

Like this

KENPO KARATE - YouTube
As far as Thompson goes it says on wiki hes studied kickboxing as well so who knows how much of his style is owed to that or kenpo. Perhaps he learned the latter in a fashion thats not common to what we see now a days. But ive still yet to find and example of this online.

Interesting. If nothing else, I think that Kenpo principles could be applied to any style to good effect.

BTW, what exactly are "checks"? I've heard that term but I don't totally understand it.

eh From what Ive seen its alot of okay you punch at me once and i chop you on both sides of the neck, then turn around and back kick you then reverse punch you two times in the body, then crank your neck, then knee you at the same time. then bring another chop down on the top of your head.:icon_lol:

Yeah, my thoughts as well. Again, it looks really interesting and impressive against compliant opponents, but I wonder if it's kind of like Aikido . . . just really hard to actually pull off against someone who's not letting you do it.

As far as Thompson goes it says on wiki hes studied kickboxing as well so who knows how much of his style is owed to that or kenpo. Perhaps he learned the latter in a fashion thats not common to what we see now a days. But ive still yet to find and example of this online.

Yeah, I don't actually consider Thompson to be a "kenpo" fighter. I don't think Kenpo is directly applicable to ring fighting, anyway. Too many illegal techniques.

I have some friends who've trained kenpo and bjj for over 5 years, and from my training and occasionally sparring with them it seems an applicable style. There techniques use multiple strikes and checks moving offline and finding angles. There's a fluidity between techniques that let's them adjust to how there opponent reacts or moves. There defense is tight utilizing wing blocks and parries. Not to
mention a whole lot of eye gouging and groin strikes.

My perspective as a strictly bjj/MT/boxing student.

i had a similar experience, had two kenpo guys i trained with; neither did the overly complicated series of strikes you see in moveies, most of them would use the blocks/parries (occassional trap) as they moved offline and then attack in short burst/flurries (punches- elbows-hammerfist). The guy i worked the most with did alot of front kicks and round kicks to the body.

he had very good timing..spacing, great at getting people out of position and capitalizing w/busrts of offense.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on Kenpo 5.0?

It's Jeff Speakman's deal and I know he has modified his Kenpo a little to deal with boxing-style punches and he has also added in some submission grappling.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a younger man I was completely convinced Kempo was nearly unbeatable after watching "The Perfect Weapon." I was just thinking about the other thread not long ago and laughing about how gullible I was lapping up everything I read in Black Belt magazine so many years ago. It never occurred to me that there were styles of Karate which were questionable in origin or design, as I have gotten older, I have definitely become more rigid in my opinions.

I think we could all develop our own styles of martial arts and make them somewhat applicable with enough repetition to an extent, some would obviously have more success than others depending on direction of style and time in grade. Its ultimately the man, not the style, but I believe some styles may be better than others.

I think we could all develop our own styles of martial arts and make them somewhat applicable with enough repetition to an extent, some would obviously have more success than others depending on direction of style and time in grade. Its ultimately the man, not the style, but I believe some styles may be better than others.

I think that, if nothing else, it's a system that requires certain qualities to be existent in its practitioners, in particular speed, good reflexes, and the ability to be very precise in your movements.

I personally believe most martial arts or martial sports styles are not particularly practical for self-protection situations. Especially "pure" styles with one area of focus.

I personally believe most martial arts or martial sports styles are not particularly practical for self-protection situations. Especially "pure" styles with one area of focus.

Then what is, provided we're not talking about weapons being involved?

Then what is, provided we're not talking about weapons being involved?

An operator-grade military system, based on reactionary movements and tactile maneuvers. I've done about 25 hours with a high-grade instructor that often trains special forces units and high-grade VIP bodyguards. His system is designed to play on our natural reactionary defenses and use simple tactile protection tools to protect oneself in any situation. His system is very practical and simple to learn.

Unlike most "self-defense" instructors that teach specific fancy manuevers for every single situation, he conditions the people he instructs to use simple, flexibile tools to protect themselves. He often spars with guys that have 10+ years of MA experience and utterly destroys them with techniques that would be considered "illegal" in those arts.

And its not groin kicks and headbutts, or other junk. His system doesn't employ striking.

An operator-grade military system, based on reactionary movements and tactile maneuvers. I've done about 25 hours with a high-grade instructor that often trains special forces units and high-grade VIP bodyguards. His system is designed to play on our natural reactionary defenses and use simple tactile protection tools to protect oneself in any situation. His system is very practical and simple to learn.

Unlike most "self-defense" instructors that teach specific fancy manuevers for every single situation, he conditions the people he instructs to use simple, flexibile tools to protect themselves. He often spars with guys that have 10+ years of MA experience and utterly destroys them with techniques that would be considered "illegal" in those arts.

And its not groin kicks and headbutts, or other junk. His system doesn't employ striking.

Sounds like snake-oil fu to me. Krav Maga 2.0.

Krav Maga works.

Now granted, I have never taken KM, nor know anyone who has, but I am completely right.

Krav Maga works.

Now granted, I have never taken KM, nor know anyone who has, but I am completely right.

I like how Bas incorporated KM into his school. It is a piece of the puzzle (i.e., boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, KM, and fitness). He has talked about his love for KM in a few videos/interviews.

But for all I know, he is getting paid to say that and has never been in a street fight.

Wasn't Keith Hackney American Kempo?
Good enough for Hackey - good enough for you.

Sounds like snake-oil fu to me. Krav Maga 2.0.

It's not snake oil fu. I'm pretty savvy to charlatans and frauds in the world of martial arts, and I was sceptical about it at first. But considering how successful the system has been for his students (I went to the class after my rather frail female friend fought off an attacker using his system) , and his status in the world of VIP protection and operator/SF training, it seems wholly legit. You'd have to actually go to a session to realize how effective and practical it is, because I know it probably sounds like bullshido the way I'm describing it.

Back