American Kickboxing (full contact karate) instructionals?

Cross_Trainer

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi. I wondered whether anyone knows of any instructional DVDs or books for 1970s/1980s PKA-style American kickboxing (the kind with the foam boots, long pants, and kicks only permitted above the waist).

The only ones I've found so far are:

Joe Lewis's book and instructional video series
Benny Urquidez's books and kickboxing DVDs (not purely PKA style)
Bill Wallace's DVD series and books (focused more on tournament karate)
Don Wilson put out a DVD on basic kickboxing techniques
A 2012 seminar DVD from Jean Yves Theriault
A two-volume DVD set from Bulldog Gym's Klaus Nonnemacher (Germany), whom I'm not familiar with
Jean Yves Theriault's book, "Full Contact Karate", first published in 1983

Does anyone know of other resources out there?

Last edited:
I am actually curious about the rules. I know there was no low kicks, but was there anything else that separated it from Int'l rules or MT?

I am actually curious about the rules. I know there was no low kicks, but was there anything else that separated it from Int'l rules or MT?

At least when the sport began, they placed minimum kick requirements per round. I think this came from the fact that when American kickboxing emerged, America's professional boxing community was a lot better trained for full contact than the (mostly amateur) karate point fighters were. So they set up the rules to prevent heavyweight boxers from going in there and crushing everybody. I'm pretty sure this rule is unique to American kickboxing.

Low kicks were always allowed in the WKA organization that included Don the Dragon Benny the Jet and Dick Rofus. It was the PKA organization that did not allow low kicks. The PKA had guys like Bill Wallace

At least when the sport began, they placed minimum kick requirements per round. I think this came from the fact that when American kickboxing emerged, America's professional boxing community was a lot better trained for full contact than the (mostly amateur) karate point fighters were. So they set up the rules to prevent heavyweight boxers from going in there and crushing everybody. I'm pretty sure this rule is unique to American kickboxing.

Don Wilson kicked the shit out of Art Jimmmerson, who did not have to kick. Again depends on which organization.

Well it's pretty obvious that boxers are usually well prepared for full-contact ring fighting. So instead of figuring out how to beat boxers they just changed the rules to prevent them from competing? Laughable if true. And I'm a Karate guy. My first sparring session with a boxer was an eye-opening experience and I certainly do not regret it (though it was painful).

Well it's pretty obvious that boxers are usually well prepared for full-contact ring fighting. So instead of figuring out how to beat boxers they just changed the rules to prevent them from competing? Laughable if true. And I'm a Karate guy. My first sparring session with a boxer was an eye-opening experience and I certainly do not regret it (though it was painful).

Benny Urquidez called out both Sugar Ray and Roberto Duran who both chickened out

I quite liked watching it as a sport . The high levels were pretty good to watch - although usually if you see one of these rules fights its two middle aged guys not quite in good enough shape to be fighting throwing sloppy kicks.

I quite liked watching it as a sport . The high levels were pretty good to watch - although usually if you see one of these rules fights its two middle aged guys not quite in good enough shape to be fighting throwing sloppy kicks.

this must have been very popular in Holland. There is a lot people in that crowd. How much money did the fighters make?

Back