Americans and "you know"

I'm more of a fan of rappers who say "na'msayin" at the end of every sentence.

yo kno' wha'm sayin' ? <- its a less civilized way to utilize english

I always felt people who say "you know what I mean" a lot have low self esteem and need confirmation the other person feels/thinks the same as them. It bothers me hearing people say it often. Occasionally saying it is just a figure of speech I'm only talking of when people over use it.

as an american, i hate hearing it as well. "you know" is said to ensure that people are being understood. it's just like saying, "right?". saying it every now and then is fine, but constantly saying it is just dumb. i know that i can sometimes say, "like" often, which isn't good either lol.

I'm sure other languages have their equivalent.

Hey, is "you know" a euphemism for BLACK PEOPLE???

It's a disfluency or a discourse marker.

Rather than pause and have the other person feel like they can interject, the speaker uses ums, ahs, you knows, etc to indicate they are still speaking but have to think about what they're going to say.

This. It has a purpose in language.

It's no different than Brits who throw "erm" between thoughts. Or Bengali people saying "heh" in the same fashion.

She's not exactly known for being a genius, and that's the type of people who do that most often.

I'm only bothered by it when having an active discussion or debate with someone. Because I literally don't know.. that's why we're talking right now.

Back in the 80's all of the WWF wrestlers started their promo cuts with "well, you know Mean Gene."

This chick kept saying "am I right?"
I lost my fuckkn mind on her. She sat in the back seat and she would be all up in my ear. She couldn't be normal and sit back, she would shout if the music was loud and talk so fast she ran out of breath.

I'd like to molly wop that chick

Nervous speaking habits. Everyone has them
This is the answer. I don’t say this when I’m speaking with friends or anywhere else but I’ve been filmed for a few interviews and caught myself doing it a lot during the interview. Being filmed while interviewed is weird unless it’s something you’re used to.

What I dislike is the tendency for people to start their sentence with "I mean," as if I wouldn't know that it's what they mean if they didn't specifically say it.

I mean, it's not only Americans that do it, you know?

Fuck.

Back