Amir Khan: I Want Adrien Broner

What makes Khan a bad fighter is his fight IQ. He has all the tools. He's just a stupid fighter.

For the longest time I felt Khan was a coach away from reaching his potential, but from my limited view he seems like the type that values himself over a coach.

This is why I stopped being a fan of him some time ago. When he started out I thought he had a bright future despite that he had some serious flaws. But he never fixed those flaws and he still fights the same way as he always has done. To me this is either stupid or stubborn. He does seem delusional about his abilities though and fights as though he's got a good chin.

This is why I stopped being a fan of him some time ago. When he started out I thought he had a bright future despite that he had some serious flaws. But he never fixed those flaws and he still fights the same way as he always has done. To me this is either stupid or stubborn. He does seem delusional about his abilities though and fights as though he's got a good chin.
Hes an interesting character. I met him twice at Raider games and he was really cool. But he comes off like a total douche regarding boxing and his career.

When Broner throws, he's a top level guy and he realizes that but has mental lapses when he's in the ring.
But you have to remember.
Every fight Broners in, he finishes strong. Every fight he lost, he won the last rounds of the fight.
What's Khan issues? As the fight goes you keep waiting and waiting until Khan gets caught and goes to sleep.
First four rounds will be close, mid rounds Broner will take control and put Khan away around the 10th

But what is the root cause of Broner not throwing? That is the question. We can't just say that he's great when he throws, so he just needs to throw more. I think he does not throw more for a reason.

Specifically, Broner has bad defense and mediocre cardio. When Broner throws, he eats huge punches. That is consistent across every single Broner fight too, he is not a guy who can be offensive and defensive at the same time. He's either attacking well but getting hit, or defending well and not throwing any punches.

If Broner goes out and lets his hands go right from the start, he knows he's going to take a beating and likely gas out. He does not have the heart take that beating. He even admitted after the Maidana fight that he would never allow himself to have a hard fight like that again.

So he hardly throws any punches, gives the first half of the fight away, then comes on strong at the end and loses by decision. He's been doing that for years now against top competition.

For the longest time I felt Khan was a coach away from reaching his potential, but from my limited view he seems like the type that values himself over a coach.
Interesting to hear that from someone who has met him and I've not heard much in the way of bad press from fans.

Of course we can say he isn't a good fighter. He's stepped up in competition 4 times and lost every single time. A good fighter doesn't lose every single big fight. He's skilled offensively and has great speed but there is a reason he ducks so many fighters and never wants to avenge his losses.

I would say his best skill is picking his opponents so carefully that he's still enough of a draw to get big fights. In his own weight class who would you favor him against in the top 5? Crawford who hasn't even fought at 147 kills him. Spence murders him. Danny already murdered him at 140. Thurman starches his ass early. Porter gets in that ass too. I would even pick Matty over Khan. Fuck even Pacman who I think loses to Matty still beats Khan.

Like I said there is a reason he's been around forever but hasn't fought any of those top fighters besides Danny, who fucked him up.

He is a good fighter, just not elite.

He hasn’t lost to every good fighter or stepped up 4 times and got beat. That’s absolute nonsense.
Prescott wasn’t a named fighter or a real step up, he got caught cold.
Home town decisioned by Peterson with serious ?s over the reffing and the scores.
He’s lost to 2 top guys and also beaten other good fighters like maidana and Alexander

Interesting to hear that from someone who has met him and I've not heard much in the way of bad press from fans.
Ya I was a little surprised. He doesnt seem like hed be overly approachable but he was cool.

Fucking Khan, acting like he's Mayweather again because he stopped Lo Greco. I hope he doesn't get a big fight.

I hope he knocks himself out cold tripping up on his own doorstep.
If there's any justice in the world, it'll be on his way to signing his next fight contract.

@LogicalInsanity we had this conversation before

Ill still take broner. Vargas has a good chin and broner will land and khan will be KO'd

@LogicalInsanity we had this conversation before

Ill still take broner. Vargas has a good chin and broner will land and khan will be KO'd

This is actually a very interesting fight..

Khan has enough boxing skills and acumen to keep broner honest...

And let's be real, Khan can pack a punch...if he lands on broner he can very well floor him.

That being said, if broner shows the same gumption as he did in the 2nd half of the Vargas fight , I'd have Khan as a very slight fave...maybe -140

I'd take Khan in this one barring getting clipped, which is always possible with Khan. Broner's work rate is far too low and his defense isn't good enough to not get outworked

I like Khan UD. I do think Broner drops him at some point, but he doesnt have the killer instinct to get him out.

I'd take Khan in this one barring getting clipped, which is always possible with Khan. Broner's work rate is far too low and his defense isn't good enough to not get outworked

Agreed. Broners biggest problem is his static footwork. Guy looks like a potted plant in there. He wouldn't get near Khan all night.

Khan beats Broner. Thats just a bad fight for Broner. Broner's power hasn't been a game changer at welter and workrate and pressure are his clear weaknesses. Khan rapes him. Wins every round.

Khan beats Broner. Thats just a bad fight for Broner. Broner's power hasn't been a game changer at welter and workrate and pressure are his clear weaknesses. Khan rapes him. Wins every round.
The punch he landed on Porter and the shit he put on Vargas will hurt Khan.

The punch he landed on Porter and the shit he put on Vargas will hurt Khan.
He survived Maidana. I mean, I guess Broner is a crisper puncher than Maidana.

Broner has a punchers chance against a chinny guy, I guess thats fair.

He survived Maidana. I mean, I guess Broner is a crisper puncher than Maidana.

Broner has a punchers chance against a chinny guy, I guess thats fair.
8 years and two brutal knockouts ago though. I like Khan to piece him up but I do think hell get popped at some point. Always tends to get hit with shit that he shouldnt, and Broner can land some pretty nice counters.

But what is the root cause of Broner not throwing? That is the question. We can't just say that he's great when he throws, so he just needs to throw more. I think he does not throw more for a reason.

Specifically, Broner has bad defense and mediocre cardio. When Broner throws, he eats huge punches. That is consistent across every single Broner fight too, he is not a guy who can be offensive and defensive at the same time. He's either attacking well but getting hit, or defending well and not throwing any punches.

If Broner goes out and lets his hands go right from the start, he knows he's going to take a beating and likely gas out. He does not have the heart take that beating. He even admitted after the Maidana fight that he would never allow himself to have a hard fight like that again.

So he hardly throws any punches, gives the first half of the fight away, then comes on strong at the end and loses by decision. He's been doing that for years now against top competition.
He doesn't think he's losing. He thinks he's controlling the fight. Then when he realizes he's not, he trys to come back.

He doesn't think he's losing. He thinks he's controlling the fight. Then when he realizes he's not, he trys to come back.

That just kinda sounds like he's a shitty fighter. If he's that oblivious then he really has no hope.

That just kinda sounds like he's a shitty fighter. If he's that oblivious then he really has no hope.
Shitty mentality but not a shitty fighter.
Cunningham is good for him. Broner needed a change and I expect that to show against Khan.

Back