Amount of risk of getting CTE from sparring

Jamaica

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I train once every 2 weeks and we spar with 30-40% strength max. What are the risk of me getting affected in the long term?

I train once every 2 weeks and we spar with 30-40% strength max. What are the risk of me getting affected in the long term?

Im no expert but Id say very little going at less than half power, big gloves, possibly head guards. Ive been sparring LHWs and above for 20 years and Im not particularly concerned. If you're fighting and getting concussed then there is a risk but at an amateur level I would guess that Rugby Players or US Football players run a higher risk

@Jonny Ninja knows his shit and is far more knowledgeable on these things than me, so I obviously defer to him on this but I agree you'll probably be alright, bud. It's been awhile but I sparred way earlier and more often, and harder than I ever should've b/c I wasn't trained properly and I wanted to feel the real deal not hit a bag/pads.

I'm only half retarded now, though, and I was always half retarded. Only problem I feel like I got from being half a retard and doing things the wrong way when I wasn't ready is they're debating neck surgery. I have brain issues but not b/c of sparring I can assure you of that :).

So, once every two weeks is nothing imo, esp if it's at less than 50%.

Ive sparred and fought amateur during my 17-20’s never affected me, got back into boxing at 32 and stuck with it until 36 doing light sparring every week, I started spacing out and having foggy memory, its been 2 years since I quit boxing altogether and im fine now.

Much less than professionals who fight for 10+ years and spar hard during that time.

Honestly just look at old pros. They're mostly fine.

Ive sparred and fought amateur during my 17-20’s never affected me, got back into boxing at 32 and stuck with it until 36 doing light sparring every week, I started spacing out and having foggy memory, its been 2 years since I quit boxing altogether and im fine now.

Shit, maybe I should start to worry then. I’ve always put the spaced out, no short term memory thing down to smoking green long term, and I’m pretty sure that’s still the case. Other than lots of hand injuries and a busted nose I’ve probably been fairly lucky in all honesty then

Shit, maybe I should start to worry then. I’ve always put the spaced out, no short term memory thing down to smoking green long term, and I’m pretty sure that’s still the case. Other than lots of hand injuries and a busted nose I’ve probably been fairly lucky in all honesty then
Everyone’s different, I attribute it to trying to keep up with the younger and more skilled and of course age

What im trying to say is boxing, whether pro or just training, its a young mans sport, you can hear stories of older people getting physically injured when they play full contact sports like soccer, football even basketball.

Anyway, if youre that concern with brain trauma, spar with someone you trust and isnt going to hurt you, specifically look for an experienced ammy that is looking to polish up his skills and not let out agression.

no telling, if you're really worried, don't do it. if aaron hernandez can have advanced cte at 25 or 26 you never know. everybody is different too, some folks can take limitless abuse others can't. it's a risk like anything in life. if you want to really call yourself a fighter though, you have to pay some price. nothing's free baby.

Back