Amy Schumer accused of joke theft, could be another Mencia incident.

I used to like Shumer, in the way I used to like gangster rap, it was good until i realized how shallow it was, and the way it celebrated idiocy.

I remember Bill Hicks had a funny line about Denis Leary ripping him off, it was something like 'yeah, it's getting weird; I was going to go home and have dinner with my parents for Thanksgiving, but then my mom told me don't bother, Denis Leary is already here.'

I've watched some if the comparisons and it actually looks pretty bad. There's no way she didn't straight rip bits from Patrice O'Neal.

I have absolutely no idea how Trevor Noah got the job in the first place, it's not like he was a particularly good comic, or was setting the world on fire. It just makes me think "Progressive hire".
Jon Stewart would never do that!

I've watched some if the comparisons and it actually looks pretty bad. There's no way she didn't straight rip bits from Patrice O'Neal.
To be fair the bit she ripped from Patrice was essentially reciting Urban Dictionary definitions. That said the fact that she used the same two in the same order should tell any honest person she took them from Patrice.

Nothing really, it was a "Yeah, so I keep hearing that Amy Schumer has been stealing jokes". And that was it. The difference between Amy and Carlos Mencia is that Amy is in Rogan's group of comedian friends, like Patrice, Colin Quinn, Jim Norton, Bill Burr etc.
He evens wonders aloud if she's being treated with kid gloves because people like her and she's a chick and a feminist.

He evens wonders aloud if she's being treated with kid gloves because people like her and she's a chick and a feminist.

That's exactly what it is, she's now the Social Justice Warrior champion of comedy, anyone speaks out against her, you're gonna get thousands of crybullies coming after you, and as soon as you answer to them, then you're harassing them and they'll try to ruin your life (see Gregory Alan Elliott, and then look at "DictionaryGate".).

So many people say she's hilarious but she does nothing for me.
Same here. It seems like every few years there's always some female comedian that get's a heavy marketing push and they usually have somehwata similar shtick.
Was that before or after he had already stolen his entire persona from Bill Hicks? Hicks even had a bit about it, it was something about him quitting smoking just to see if Leary would quit as well.
I remember Bill Hicks had a funny line about Denis Leary ripping him off, it was something like 'yeah, it's getting weird; I was going to go home and have dinner with my parents for Thanksgiving, but then my mom told me don't bother, Denis Leary is already here.'
I've laughed more in this thread at Bill Hicks jokes about Dennis Learly than I have at Amy Schumer's career.

I actually thought she did a good job with Trainwreck and I got a few laughs from her HBO special. Also, wood.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about with Rogan earlier. When it was Mencia, it's "Fuck this guy, he's a piece of shit, no one should book him, they should take his shows off the air, he's a piece of shit".

Now it's the girl who's in his group of friends, it's "Hmmmm... yeah... you know... we don't have all of the facts... yeah, I know there's surmounting evidence... but she has a team of writers, and there's so much stuff out there you don't really know if it's stolen or if it's just parallel thinking... but fuck Mencia!"

I actually thought she did a good job with Trainwreck and I got a few laughs from her HBO special. Also, wood.
I've never been a fan of movies made by, and really for, comedians. They end up being a series of mundane sketches. Which can be very funny but with seasoned filmmakers you're more likely to get something that fits the screen better than a collage of bits pieced together by a script.

Maybe that's not a fair assessment though.

At this point in time, i think 95% of jokes are already used in some extent. You can give it your twist, or go into more details in some jokes, and i don't consider that stealing.

That said, Schumer is a thief. The Patrice joke - only changed the names. The "sexist" thing is a cop out, and a really poor attempt at damage control, as her career is kind of on fire now (which i don't understand).

Rogan is, as the video shows, a white knight. What goes for Mencia (a public outcry to basically excommunicate him) doesn't go for Amy because 1) Mencia stole from HIM directly and 2) Mencia is not the part of the inner Rogan circle. No one is buying your BS on this one, Rogan.

On joke thieving, i don't understand how people still do it. I mean, it's not like we're in the stone age, and two comics from different continents tell the same material. You can find whatever you want on the internet, especially now when EVERYTHING is taped. Blows my mind...

And, they don't want to saw anything outright, because Amy has movies and TV shows, and when you have movies and TV shows, there are parts that can be fill.

She is literally the girl with the swimming pool right now. "Yeah, you can come, and you can come, and you can come... but you can't because I don't like you... and you can come, and you can come... not you..."

Yeah, this is what I was talking about with Rogan earlier. When it was Mencia, it's "Fuck this guy, he's a piece of shit, no one should book him, they should take his shows off the air, he's a piece of shit".

Now it's the girl who's in his group of friends, it's "Hmmmm... yeah... you know... we don't have all of the facts... yeah, I know there's surmounting evidence... but she has a team of writers, and there's so much stuff out there you don't really know if it's stolen or if it's just parallel thinking... but fuck Mencia!"
The difference here is he was litterally watching Mencia Jack other people's work in person right in front of him repeatedly. There was no question that he was jacking material.

Also, in a later podcast since the one posted he came out saying it looks bad that she most likely stole material. Joey Diaz did the same thing.

I'm gonna give amy the benefit of the doubt on this one. The "I'm old fashion I like when guys pay for sex" joke just seems very common. I doubt anyone in the audience was sitting there thinking she is the first person to think of that joke. And the Patrice oneal jokes certainly seem like joke stealing, but I watched that standup and she presents the jokes as though they aren't her own, she says "have you heard some of these awful sex act terms guys have made up?" She then proceeds to start telling some of the better ones she has heard of and even has an audience member share one called the angry dragon.

Back