An honest perspective about gun control from a former anti-2nd amendment citizen

BoxingFan653

C-137
@Brown
Reaction score
Edit: If it's TL;DR material just get to the numbers below.

I'm all for 'reasonable gun laws.' I used to think it was very reasonable to take away militarized guns. After all, Obama says an 18 year old has access to a machine gun. One look at an AR or AK and any decent human being can conclude something is wrong.

However, I finally sat down and listened to the experts, authors, clinical psychologists and I concluded I am not ok with the idea of taking away all guns thus I appose the first giant step which is to convince the masses that this is an 'assault rifle' problem. I don't see any correlation with reducing guns on the street and how that somehow stops a mass killer from easily obtaining 2 hand guns or hunting rifles and causing just as much damage as an AR could. Here are some numbers of mass shootings with hand guns in comparison to infamous mass shootings with the AR or scary looking guns.

Please tell me how taking away sem-automatic rifles makes any difference in the big scheme of things? Obvious answer is its the first step towards no guns after a few generations.

Here are the numbers of just a few mass shootings so I don't approach TL;DR area:

1949-Howard Unruh, the first documented mass shooting in American history according to most sources; a WW2 veteran suffering from schizophrenia used a Luger P08 pistol to walk into a theater and killed his victims: TOTAL # 13 people dead and shot 4 others. (with one pistol folks...think about that)

1966- Charles Whitman, former veteran Clocktower shooting; another mentally disturbed individual who decided to take a basic deer hunting rifle, an M1 carbine gun, and several other hand guns\shotguns and did the majority of his damage with his hunting rifle. He killed in total = 17 dead, 31 others shot

1984- San Ysidro shooting; another disturbed individual who called the mental hospital and a week later decided to go to a McDonalds and kill everyone in site after losing his job. In total = 21 dead, 19 others shot

1986- Postal shooting, man shows up at his USPS job with 2 basic hand guns. Total dead = 14 dead, 6 others shot

1990- Luby's cafeteria shooting, a man that was known as a bigot and hateful particularly against woman drives his car through the restaurant injuring 6, he then proceeds to shoot mostly women and calls them bitch. In Total= 23 dead, 27 others shot, 7 injured from the car

2007- Virginia Tech shooting, you know the story. He used a lock on the back doors so no one could get out. Should we look into banning lockable doors? Total = 32 dead, 27 shot, 6 injured from jumping out of windows.

Here are the quick #'s (if you're still reading by now) of some of the most infamous shootings with the scarier looking guns.

Sandy Hook = 27 dead, 2 other injuries
San Bernandino Shooting= 14 dead, 24 shot
Aurora Dark Knight shooting = 12 dead, 58 shot
Parkland shooting= 17 dead, 14 others shot

Do any of these numbers really stick out to you to a point you feel the government should spend billions in order to theoretically save 10-15 people a year?

As far as the Pulse Nightclub shooting goes, experts agree that the 49 number is because witnesses account that no one could get out of the exits and they were stuck. Combat experts say the hand gun can do the same, its about finding a location with limited exit availability such is the case in Virginia Tech. Las Vegas is a thread in it of itself.

With all this said, I am not suggesting things are fine the way they are. But this idea that the scary looking guns is a direction towards limiting mass shootings is very naive and dangerous. It is ultimately guiding our culture towards a direction with government involving itself with our right to protect ourselves. My 2 cents is a gun free America is an unrealistic utopia which makes no sense given the cartel lives right below us.

Weed was illegal but everyone had it back then. If it makes people feel better that law abiding citizens, the 99.9999% of gun owners who use guns for protection should suffer for 1-2 deranged killers a year I genuinely now understand the outrage about this issue. As far as mental exams go, thats a thread in itself too. Psychologists agree its very difficult for them to diagnose anything like this quickly in order to allow accessibility to weapons. Its another idealistic pipe dream

Last edited:
Nobody is realistically asking to take away current 'responsible gun owners' firearms.

Just putting strong restrictions and background checks on people in the future, limiting access to high powered firearms and raising the age to the drinking age.

Republicans don't even want that.

I don't know about you guys, but the idea of the government taking away our guns, while selling billions of dollars worth of military grade equipment to other countries... sounds like a really good idea.

IMO

Nobody is realistically asking to take away current 'responsible gun owners' firearms.

Just putting strong restrictions and background checks on people in the future, limiting access to high powered firearms and raising the age to the drinking age.

Thanks for weighing in, Mexico!

I'm assuming you don't watch much TV lately...?

My idea for gun control would be flip the perspective to confuse the zealots of both sides.

Explain to the hardcore 2nd amendment people that stringent testing, licensing and restrictive purchasing would affect ownership among poor minorities the most. In turn, when the left realizes that their ideas would have the most impact on poor minorities, they may ease up on their demands.

despite misgivings, was willing to give notorious shitposter a chance to be heard

"After all, Obama

Aaand its gone.

despite misgivings, was willing to give notorious shitposter a chance to be heard

"After all, Obama

Aaand its gone.

And thats the problem with your views. Never willing to listen to the other side. I did and it changed my mind

th

Molon labia nerds !

Your infringements always lead to more infringements. There should never be a compromise to ones rights, because give an inch and you’ll take a mile.

I agree OP. Gun laws will solve nothing. It will only create more of a black market for guns and dangerous people associated with that.

OP I like to play the game of “what gun laws...” where I look and see what laws were broken where, the fact is psychotics can and do pass background checks, and in the case of my MIL passes a yearly psych exam, while lying about not being on any anti psychotic medications.

If you really want to get into the “our side” koolaid, this country has about 700,000 civilian owned machineguns (170,000 pre 1986 transferables and the rest are post 86 dealer stock) these evil actual machineguns have been used in three crimes since 1934, of which only one time did someone get shot. Had they not closed the registry in 1986 we most likely would have the same low low percent trend and never have bumpfire stocks, this might have made a difference last year.

Good ole gubbermint

I own quite a few guns including Ak's and Ar's and don't have a problem raising the age to buy a semi-automatic rifle or closing background check loopholes. I don't think this will solve anything though. This last guy was throwing up every warning sign possible and he still wasn't stopped. That's what needs to change

My brother and nephews joined the military at 18. No reason to tell 18 year olds they can't own guns. But, I agree that better screening and education is a good idea.

Last edited:
I own quite a few guns including Ak's and Ar's and don't have a problem raising the age to buy a semi-automatic rifle or closing background check loopholes. I don't think this will solve anything though. This last guy was throwing up every warning sign possible and he still wasn't stopped. That's what needs to change

I have no issue with the age increase either. The gun show loophole is a myth...check it out. Complete and utter BS.

If such a thing did exist of course all gun owners would 100% agree to shut that stuff down. The entire purpose of the gun show loophole is to convince people they are selling m16's to kids all day long.

Tons of videos disproving it, here's the most recent with former sherbro

Back