An Odd Run-In With Fish UPDATE: It Happened Again!

sub_thug

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
A very strange thing happened to me today. I was out assisting with the teaching of a Search and Recovery course for scuba diving, and the thing that the students were trying to find in this body of water was me.

I was sitting at the bottom of this flooded rock quarry, hanging out for what I knew was going to be at least 15 minutes. While I floated there, stationary, I turned my head and noticed half a dozen fish nearby. It's not uncommon to see fish in this water, so I thought little of it. After a few more minutes went by, I noticed that the fish had not moved. They simply floated there, moving only their pectoral fins to keep themselves in one spot.

This got me thinking. Is this how fish spend their days? I figured they would busy themselves with finding food, swimming around, sleeping, and the sort. But do they really just sit there, practically motionless for most of the day? It's weird. I just figured they'd have more going on... It really surprised me.

9b7ZfWH.gif

Curious and cautious of the large glowing (if youre caucasian) creature disturbing their home?

Curious and cautious of the large glowing (if youre caucasian) creature disturbing their home?
But they weren't looking in the same direction. They all just were arbitrarily facing nothing.

But they weren't looking in the same direction. They all just were arbitrarily facing nothing.

I dunno, it does sound odd. Theyre definitely not salmon. Maybe the quarry water has adverse effects?

As I tried to come up with a response I realized I've been sitting in this chair staring at a monitor for two hours

They sit facing against the current and wait for food to come to them

Maybe they were watching some sort of fish sporting event in the distance. Those were primo seats... they're not going to give those up.

They sit facing against the current and wait for food to come to them

Do deep quarries have currents near the bottom?

Sometimes it can be dark down there so maybe the fish were sleeping.

I've actually often thought about how animals spend their time. Do our dogs hate their life? They can obviously experience boredom and most of their life is sitting around waiting for us. This applies to any animal that has enough food to not spend it's entire life searching for food.

They were thinking, “Look at this human. He’s just sitting there. Is this what humans do?”

Do deep quarries have currents near the bottom?

Sometimes it can be dark down there so maybe the fish were sleeping.
I'm no quarry expert but maybe there is some sort of current caused from thermal changes

I'm no quarry expert but maybe there is some sort of current caused from thermal changes

Maybe. It is very cold at the bottom and warmer up top, so if a cold rain hit, that would happen to some extent.

I read the title as "old run in with fish" and I was hoping for a @Clippy level story of a decade struggle with one particular fish.

A very strange thing happened to me today. I was out assisting with the teaching of a Search and Recovery course for scuba diving, and the thing that the students were trying to find in this body of water was me.

I was sitting at the bottom of this flooded rock quarry, hanging out for what I knew was going to be at least 15 minutes. While I floated there, stationary, I turned my head and noticed half a dozen fish nearby. It's not uncommon to see fish in this water, so I thought little of it. After a few more minutes went by, I noticed that the fish had not moved. They simply floated there, moving only their pectoral fins to keep themselves in one spot.

This got me thinking. Is this how fish spend their days? I figured they would busy themselves with finding food, swimming around, sleeping, and the sort. But do they really just sit there, practically motionless for most of the day? It's weird. I just figured they'd have more going on... It really surprised me.

9b7ZfWH.gif

Fish are pretty fucking dumb. Don't read too much into it.

But do they really just sit there, practically motionless for most of the day?

Yes! They are sleeping for part of the day. They can sleep at any time during the day or night. Fish do sleep with their eyes open, because they don't have eyelids to close (small fish). Fish sleep is not exactly like human sleep. Most fish need to keep moving even when they're sleeping, so that they keep a constant flow of water moving past their gills to maintain a proper oxygen level in their bodies (or current moving past them). Even though they are asleep, fish are still alert for danger. When dolphins sleep, one side of their brain is always awake. Now, I wish I could have done that through Ranger school...

I'm highly against fishing and the sport of it. That's why I can't even stand most Asian or Nordic Countries. Motherfuckers spear Dolphins and Whales in the head.

I have similar thoughts about other animals. If you look at cats or dogs, they just sit and stare off in the space for most of their day. Like my dog just sits there when I'm not playing with her or or eating or shitting. What is she thinking? What's going through her head? Isn't she bored?

I have similar thoughts about other animals. If you look at cats or dogs, they just sit and stare off in the space for most of their day.

Most of their day? Than there is something wrong with your animal. They are daydreaming, meditating, or in communication with God. Unlike man, animals are free of sin from the day they are born to the day they die. We humans have to work at it. Maybe God chose man for this reason. Yeah, I know, getting way off topic and very philosophical. But it is an interesting question. Man is the biggest fuck-up of all the animals in the world. We kill each other for the silliest of reasons. Not to mention we kill most of the other animals also. Was man really created in God's image?

Back