An Odd Run-In With Fish UPDATE: It Happened Again!

But do they really just sit there, practically motionless for most of the day? It's weird. I just figured they'd have more going on... It really surprised me.

9b7ZfWH.gif

This describes most of @Medulla Omoplata s days

A very strange thing happened to me today. I was out assisting with the teaching of a Search and Recovery course for scuba diving, and the thing that the students were trying to find in this body of water was me.

I was sitting at the bottom of this flooded rock quarry, hanging out for what I knew was going to be at least 15 minutes. While I floated there, stationary, I turned my head and noticed half a dozen fish nearby. It's not uncommon to see fish in this water, so I thought little of it. After a few more minutes went by, I noticed that the fish had not moved. They simply floated there, moving only their pectoral fins to keep themselves in one spot.

This got me thinking. Is this how fish spend their days? I figured they would busy themselves with finding food, swimming around, sleeping, and the sort. But do they really just sit there, practically motionless for most of the day? It's weird. I just figured they'd have more going on... It really surprised me.

9b7ZfWH.gif

How long you been diving? Im Naui and been diving for years. May sell my gear do you need any?
Also have a speargun thats barely been used.

How long you been diving? Im Naui and been diving for years. May sell my gear do you need any?
Also have a speargun thats barely been used.
Since ‘06. Haha, I have enough gear to fill 2 tough boxes. Appreciate the offer though.

A very strange thing happened to me today. I was out assisting with the teaching of a Search and Recovery course for scuba diving, and the thing that the students were trying to find in this body of water was me.

I was sitting at the bottom of this flooded rock quarry, hanging out for what I knew was going to be at least 15 minutes. While I floated there, stationary, I turned my head and noticed half a dozen fish nearby. It's not uncommon to see fish in this water, so I thought little of it. After a few more minutes went by, I noticed that the fish had not moved. They simply floated there, moving only their pectoral fins to keep themselves in one spot.

This got me thinking. Is this how fish spend their days? I figured they would busy themselves with finding food, swimming around, sleeping, and the sort. But do they really just sit there, practically motionless for most of the day? It's weird. I just figured they'd have more going on... It really surprised me.

9b7ZfWH.gif

Off topic, but a neat factoids about lump fish. Salmon farms use lump fish to help control sea lice. Yes, the salmon you buy at the store probably has/had lice.
Odds are if you bought a tin of caviar at the supermarket and it's black, it's not sturgeon, it's lump fish.
giphy.gif

Since ‘06. Haha, I have enough gear to fill 2 tough boxes. Appreciate the offer though.
Bout drowned getting certified they just gave me a book and said learn it then the next day went out to do our dives. I got home late the night before cause the fucking road was closed and didnt get much time to read. Next day we are practicing rescues and I let loose of the girl I was pulling and dropped like a stone cause my bcd wasnt inflated and I didnt even know how to do that. 80 foot depths too lucky someone swam over and grabbed me as i was flailing.

u need to psychicly connect witht ehm to access their full power ts

Off topic, but a neat factoids about lump fish. Salmon farms use lump fish to help control sea lice. Yes, the salmon you buy at the store probably has/had lice.
Odds are if you bought a tin of caviar at the supermarket and it's black, it's not sturgeon, it's lump fish.
giphy.gif
So cute

Bout drowned getting certified they just gave me a book and said learn it then the next day went out to do our dives. I got home late the night before cause the fucking road was closed and didnt get much time to read. Next day we are practicing rescues and I let loose of the girl I was pulling and dropped like a stone cause my bcd wasnt inflated and I didnt even know how to do that. 80 foot depths too lucky someone swam over and grabbed me as i was flailing.
Sounds like you had some awful instructors. I can't stand that stuff. Bad instructors create bad divers, and bad divers either quit the activity altogether, hurt themselves, or hurt others.

UPDATE: The fish came back.

I was doing a rescue scenario with a student, and as we descended to the bottom, I saw something very strange. Our "victim" was lying on the bottom, pretending to be unconscious. Surrounding him, there were almost 30 fish, all keenly staring at him. I've never seen this many congregate in this manner. I can only assume that he was a "fish whisperer," communicating with the fish. Or maybe he was a really good actor, and the fish thought he was dead? Then, maybe they thought he was fish food.

6jDi.gif
giphy.gif

Sounds like you had some awful instructors. I can't stand that stuff. Bad instructors create bad divers, and bad divers either quit the activity altogether, hurt themselves, or hurt others.
Ye and the vis here is terrible its like chicken soup shoulda just rented gear instead of buying it.
Use to go out 8 miles in my little rubber boat just to get good vis and with a 10 horsepower motor its took awhile lol. Now I got a supercharged beast of a jetski and dont even dive much anymore.

UPDATE: The fish came back.

I was doing a rescue scenario with a student, and as we descended to the bottom, I saw something very strange. Our "victim" was lying on the bottom, pretending to be unconscious. Surrounding him, there were almost 30 fish, all keenly staring at him. I've never seen this many congregate in this manner. I can only assume that he was a "fish whisperer," communicating with the fish. Or maybe he was a really good actor, and the fish thought he was dead? Then, maybe they thought he was fish food.

6jDi.gif
giphy.gif

This sounds nit picky, but when you put update in the title it’s good to either put the update in the original post or put “see update in post #32.”

Otherwise we have to hunt for it, which isn’t terrible in this thus far short thread, but could be irritating if it gets longer.

Thanks,

Grandpa NHB7

Most of their day? Than there is something wrong with your animal. They are daydreaming, meditating, or in communication with God. Unlike man, animals are free of sin from the day they are born to the day they die. We humans have to work at it. Maybe God chose man for this reason. Yeah, I know, getting way off topic and very philosophical. But it is an interesting question. Man is the biggest fuck-up of all the animals in the world. We kill each other for the silliest of reasons. Not to mention we kill most of the other animals also. Was man really created in God's image?

Dogs are not free from sin, my dog will steal your food if you turn your back on it for a secound and he goes and hides afterwards because he knows he’s in trouble but doesn’t care because he just jacked what ever goodness I just cooked vs his dog food.

9b7ZfWH.gif
Sounds like they were “suspending” this is what fish do in a holding pattern for rest for some species.

they were waiting on your "rescue" person to actually die so they could feast on his body.

On the topic of animals and what they do in their free time, I've always been interested in the concept of time. Why does time feel like its going by slow sometimes, and fast at other times?
I imagine that animals don't perceive time exactly in the same way that we do.

Back