And here we go: Government Drone Deployed in Sacramento Neighborhood

Begun, the drone war has...

Looks like it's time to buy your own drones and outfit them with anti drone capabilities.

I wouldn't recommend shooting them down if it's illegal in your area to do so. You'll be on camera before the drone is shot down. With your own drone you can launch it out of view and then hunt the other drone down.

I actually think the FAA will start to crack down on drone usage in the near future, both civilian and government. There have been numerous airspace incursions by drones creating unsafe conditions for manned aircraft. Without radios to talk to the actual pilots, drones can pose a threat at higher altitudes. I think we’ll see very strict rules soon about how drones can be operated.

I wouldn't recommend shooting them down if it's illegal in your area to do so. You'll be on camera before the drone is shot down. With your own drone you can launch it out of view and then hunt the other drone down.
<{jackyeah}>

Do you own the airspace above your house? If so how high up? I tried Google and am getting a bunch of conflicting answers.

At least 83'. I'd say if it's flying low enough for you to notice it then it's probably trespassing on your land/air space.

Also, drone related post means I share this again cause I had a hand in it at college. Would fucking love to pull it out of storage and fly off with the Housing agency snooper drone lol

I actually think the FAA will start to crack down on drone usage in the near future, both civilian and government. There have been numerous airspace incursions by drones creating unsafe conditions for manned aircraft. Without radios to talk to the actual pilots, drones can pose a threat at higher altitudes. I think we’ll see very strict rules soon about how drones can be operated.
They already made it so you have to register any drone over .5 lbs with the FAA and you have to call any airport around you to tell them you are flying your drone

Also, drone related post means I share this again cause I had a hand in it at college. Would fucking love to pull it out of storage and fly off with the Housing agency snooper drone lol

Ever thought about starting your own business and selling the device on the civilian market?

[<cena1}

They already made it so you have to register any drone over .5 lbs with the FAA and you have to call any airport around you to tell them you are flying your drone
The enforcement of those rules is really light, and not well known. Essentially it’s based on the honor system whether you follow those rules or not. Our airport has already had a couple incidents with drone usage near our approach zones. I think the FAA will establish a stronger means of enforcement, create stricter rules for purchase of drones including something similar to a sports pilots license, and a requirement to post NOTAMs when operating a drone.

Cant wait for the first one to get taken out by a civilian drone.

"Man charged with destruction of government property and willfull negligence in attempt to protect his right to privacy"

Modern day UK CCTV.

Jobs of the future.

Fast forward 50 years. The drones have weapons. it's going to be epic.

I’d wait till it was on my property, then “shoot” it down (in a safe manner), then I would bring it inside and keep it like the old lady in the neighborhood who would keep your balls if they went in her yard.

My first thought on reading the OP was, "I'm surprised it hasn't been shot down yet":)

What kind of battery they running on that thing?

I heard even the thousand dollar drones and like 25 min batteries.

Screw that

If you aren't doing anytihing wrong what's the big deal?

You guys sound so stupid trying to pretend you have a "right" to anything. Law enforcement has a great way to increase the security and safety of our population.

Does it change anyone’s mind if I point out that this is low-income public housing?

I think flying the drone and monitoring the screens would be a sweet job. What do y'all imagine it pays?

If all technology is being used for is a mass surveillance state then fuck technology the human race doesn't need it , it needs nothing to do with it.

If you had a child who was abducted while playing outside and this type of surveillance allowed her to be located and rescued before she was raped and murdered how could you possibly oppose the technology?

Perpetuating the cycle of dis function in those areas IMO, treat them like animals and they will act in accordance to those beliefs. Much better to be educating kids and parents how to act as more functional members of society than essentially flying remote control planes around playing air detective.

Also I’m guessing this comes with the typical California over-paid government position. Would like to see annual salaries released as well as cost of training the “pilots”(LOL). But hey, catching “illegal dumping” is definitely a great use of these resources while kids in the area are probably under educated.

More of treating the symptom, not the disease.

I think flying the drone and monitoring the screens would be a sweet job. What do y'all imagine it pays?

Lol at wanting tyranny out of spite.

If you had a child who was abducted while playing outside and this type of surveillance allowed her to be located and rescued before she was raped and murdered how could you possibly oppose the technology?

Why not install micro chips in everyone that contain tracking devices?

It Begins: Government Drone Spying On Sacramento Neighborhood
Screen-Shot-2018-05-17-at-7.24.53-AM-777x437.png

WRITTEN BY: CBS SACRAMENTO MAY 17, 2018

The Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency is not a law enforcement agency, and yet it is spying on local citizens with a sophisticated drone. The City Council has the power to stop this cold in its tracks with a simple binding resolution, and citizens are bringing pressure. ⁃ TN Editor
Neighbors say they’re furious over a drone that’s flying over the neighborhood, and we’ve found out it’s tied to a government agency.

The mysterious drone has been spotted during late-night hours, hovering over residential neighborhoods and looking down on homes.

ohn Mattox first spotted the mysterious drone about a month ago.

“The drone would fly over here, come over my neighbor’s house, fly over our house right here,” he said. “You come home from work, it would be operating, go to bed it was still operating, and this would repeat day after day.”

His neighbors in Sacramento’s upper Land Park neighborhood wondered what it was doing.

“It just doesn’t feel good,” said Ben Allen. “It hovers around. You don’t know what they’re looking at and monitoring.”

Neighbors say they’ve heard the drone flying in the early morning hours, well before sunrise.

This week, they learned it’s being flown by the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency. It manages two nearby housing communities, Alder Grove and Marina Vista. Those complexes have seen serious crimes, including a fatal shooting in January and a triple homicide in 2016.

“We initiated the drone program in order to enhance the safety and security of our residents,” said LaTanna Jones, SHRA’s assistant director.

She says the five-foot-long aircraft operates between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. and has already spotted illegal dumping and trespassing. Pilots have established a protocol to protect privacy.

“The drones are programmed so that they do not catch any footage until they get to about 200 feet in the air,” Jones said.

The housing authority says the program is legal, but some neighbors have doubts, saying their privacy is being invaded and the technology doesn’t belong in a residential community.

“This is not an appropriate way to police the community,” Mattox said.

https://www.technocracy.news/it-begins-government-drone-spying-on-sacramento-neighborhood/

How are you going to feel when a government drone is hovering over your house?

See you thought the cameras on street lights, and CCTV everywhere was OK, because it's in public, but this is just the start.

Our phones, appliances, computers spy on us. Drones will soon be in your neighborhood spying on you.

You do not live in a free society if you are constantly under surveillance.

Discuss......

Ok, cool. This is happening in California. I thought this was happening in America for a second and was prepared to be seriously butthurt.

I'm not against a surveillance state per se, I'd entertain the idea, but there is zero reason to film someone's private property.

Back