Andrei Arlovski announces he will fight Shamil Abdurakhimov at UFC Moscow

Typrune Goatley

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Andrei Arlovski says he has an opponent for the UFC Moscow card on September 15th. He says he will be fighting Shamil Abdurakhimov.

Even though I do think the judges got it right, I was positively surprised with Arlovski in the Tuivasa fight. He looked good.

Still, I can't help but think he would not be allowed to fight anymore at this point if MMA was a serious, developed sport. He has just been KOd too many times now.

Even though I do think the judges got it right, I was positively surprised with Arlovski in the Tuivasa fight. He looked good.

Still, I can't help but think he would not be allowed to fight anymore at this point if MMA was a serious, developed sport. He has just been KOd too many times now.

Probably true but he looks rejuvenated af in his last few fights. Almost seems like he's got his chin back as well.

I thought he edged it with Tai. To be honest, I'd rather see Tai Tuvasa fight Shamil to see if he's really cut out for it. Shamil would expose Tai even further.

Any info on Shamil?
#13 ranked UFC Heavyweight
18 wins 4 losses
36 years old
6"3 and 260 pounds
3-2 in UFC
Wins over Anthony Hamilton, Walt Harris and Chase Sherman
Losses to Tim Johnson and Black Beast

Very strong grappler and won his last fight by brutal KO over Sherman. This will be a tough matchup but Arlovski is the better striker and he still has very good takedown defense. Shamil may try to push him against the fence but I don't think he will have much success taking or holding Andrei down. AA should use a lot of movement like he has lately and I believe he can win a decision but of course all it takes at HW is one punch from either man to end the night.

That’s a good match up for the old man. Before the Tui fight, Arlovski said would like to fight for a few more years. You have to respect his fighting spirit. He’s had ugly defeats, bad stretches, and close loses like his last fight but he keeps going.

Combat sports are like that though, they let the dudes fight until they're Gary Goodridge.

Not to mention that getting stopped is better than having a granite chin, remember that Hunt is the one that has said he might have brain damage, while AA and Overeem are seemingly okay.

I hope Arlovski can get the win but he's the definition of a hot-cold fighter.

Arlovski fights so often that i think hes gonna be out very soon. Collecting some retirement money now

Any info on Shamil?

Pillow hands for HW, gasses from moving, let Black Beast go deep on him.

This will be AA/Mir-esque, with AA winning a UD due to being a more polished fighter in every aspect.

Nice one chaps. Appreciate the info
#13 ranked UFC Heavyweight
18 wins 4 losses
36 years old
6"3 and 260 pounds
3-2 in UFC
Wins over Anthony Hamilton, Walt Harris and Chase Sherman
Losses to Tim Johnson and Black Beast

Very strong grappler and won his last fight by brutal KO over Sherman. This will be a tough matchup but Arlovski is the better striker and he still has very good takedown defense. Shamil may try to push him against the fence but I don't think he will have much success taking or holding Andrei down. AA should use a lot of movement like he has lately and I believe he can win a decision but of course all it takes at HW is one punch from either man to end the night.

I'm genuinely surprised I hadn't heard of him. I know all the guys he has fought. I guess I am a bit out of the loop on MMA these days.

Pillow hands for HW, gasses from moving, let Black Beast go deep on him.

This will be AA/Mir-esque, with AA winning a UD due to being a more polished fighter in every aspect.

I hope not. That fight was terrible. They should AA vs prospects IMO. Which is what I thought Shamil would be. Doesn't make much sense to put a former champ/fairly recognisable name vs someome with little upside should they beat him.

Arlovski fights so often that i think hes gonna be out very soon. Collecting some retirement money now
Yeah... Arlovski has to be one of the most active HWs out there. Crazy considering the amount of mileage he has but he has no been knocked out in a while.

Probably true but he looks rejuvenated af in his last few fights. Almost seems like he's got his chin back as well.
theres no way you can get your chin back, that makes no sense . He does a better job at defense

I hope Arlovski can get the win but he's the definition of a hot-cold fighter.

Always has been, too. His first MMA fight was a KO loss to Datsik--let that sink in. Granted, AA was Top 10 and sometimes Top 5 during his prime years, but there's always been a risk of him having an off night, getting KO'd or having a poor Fight IQ (the flying knee attempt vs. Fedor was the best example).

theres no way you can get your chin back, that makes no sense . He does a better job at defense

That just means his chin wasn't completely gone. He ate some big pucnhes against Tai. But I agree his defence looked definitely improved.

Nice one chaps. Appreciate the info

I'm genuinely surprised I hadn't heard of him. I know all the guys he has fought. I guess I am a bit out of the loop on MMA these days.

I hope not. That fight was terrible. They should AA vs prospects IMO. Which is what I thought Shamil would be. Doesn't make much sense to put a former champ/fairly recognisable name vs someome with little upside should they beat him.

Maybe they're playing the Slav vs Caucus fighter angle for Russia.

Back