Andrei Arlovski vs Chuck Liddell circa 2005 - Why didn't the UFC do it?

Don't even know... Going with Chuck …could go the other way. But around this time... Brandon Vera was going to be the OG Champ-Champ... oh the good old days. :eek:

I didn't realize Chuck cut that much. I know Rich cut from 212 to MW, which is about the same, but he came to the scale shredded. Chuck just had a pot belly lol.

Chuck's a pretty big dude as it is. He's definitely not a small or average LHW. I really don't think him going to HW for a fight or two would be that big of a deal for him around 2005. I mean, Randy and Hendo did it just fine and both of those guys are smaller than Chuck.

Don't even know... Going with Chuck …could go the other way. But around this time... Brandon Vera was going to be the OG Champ-Champ... oh the good old days. :eek:

Would it be possible to hook this thread up with a poll? (no time limit poll)

Btw, I just watched that movie about a month ago. First time I'd seen it since the 90s. I about shit my pants with how badass the gif scene was. Overall excellent movie. Then I turned around and watched the one with Costner and it was boring as hell by comparison.

In the vein of Stipe vs DC, let's say UFC did Arlovski vs Liddell, Champ vs Champ, for the HW Championship back in 2005, how does that fight go down? Both men were white hot and at their peak this year.

Personally, I remember back in 2005 this was the fight I wanted to see above all others. It would have been the biggest fight of all time in MMA at that point, easily.

Height:
Chuck: 6'2
Andrei: 6'4

Reach:
Chuck: 77"
Andrei: 77"

Weight:
Chuck: 230lbs
Andrei: 240lbs

The Pit Bull vs The Iceman
HW Champion vs LHW Champion

BJm1AvQ.gif
b245e6014f879828f6b7136483d3a16a.gif

3387_ex.jpg

th

600x600.jpg

chuck-liddell-celebrates-his-victory-over-randy-couture-at-ufc-52-at-picture-id107612320

e240b6ae70dd7a9bf0cc804a0fd14b1a--ufc-combate-kickboxing.jpg
"It would have been the biggest fight of all time in MMA at that point, easily."

wtf3.gif

I think Arlovski's jab would give him problems.

I think Arlovski's jab would give him problems.

I too think Andrei's straight punches may be an issue for Chuck as the fight wears on. Chuck likes to loop his punches around the outside while Andrei comes straight down the middle.

Great fight, dream fight, along with Crocop vs Arlovski and Crocop vs Liddell

Alrvoski via KO in this though

Andrei has KOed people that were deemed impossible to KO like Rothwell and Nelson. Its no different against an iron chinned Chuck

Right around 2005 UFC was still in its infancy, but this was also the time its popularity was growing like wildfire. I wonder why they didn't rush to try and set this fight up? It would have literally been the biggest thing they could have done. The best time to do it would have been right after Andrei KO'd Buentello cold. Maybe do it February 2006 (instead of Chuck/Randy III do Chuck/Andrei Mega Fight - push Chuck/Randy III off until after this fight). It would have put UFC on the map bigger than any other fight they possibly could have done at the time. I mean, ultimately things worked out well for them, but this fight headlining a card could have been their first genuine super card.

It seriously bums me out that we didn't get a true and legitimate HW Champ vs LHW Champ fight until 2018.

20110119140028a34.jpg
070202liddell.jpg

Arlovski's speed might have given him the advantage. Under Freddie Roach coulda let em rip and counter Chuck's wild bolos all day...but he may have got caught just like Fedor got him,overzealously.

Right around 2005 UFC was still in its infancy, but this was also the time its popularity was growing like wildfire. I wonder why they didn't rush to try and set this fight up? It would have literally been the biggest thing they could have done. The best time to do it would have been right after Andrei KO'd Buentello cold. Maybe do it February 2006 (instead of Chuck/Randy III do Chuck/Andrei Mega Fight - push Chuck/Randy III off until after this fight). It would have put UFC on the map bigger than any other fight they possibly could have done at the time. I mean, ultimately things worked out well for them, but this fight headlining a card could have been their first genuine super card.

It seriously bums me out that we didn't get a true and legitimate HW Champ vs LHW Champ fight until 2018. Same reason why GSP vs Anderson didn't happen. Or Jones vs JDS/Reem.

20110119140028a34.jpg
070202liddell.jpg

Methinks it never happened because they feared the loser would lose cred, and they wanted both to keep their "iron man'" reputations.

Arlovski was faster, better technically, hit harder and had size and reach on Chuck who was a sloppy brawler at best. Chuck was blessed with good chin and big power which compensated for his poor skills but a 2005 AA would have punched his head into the 14th row in at least 8/10 fights. Arlovski was sleeping Rothwell and Nelson back when nobody could. Chuck would get KTFO.

Methinks it never happened because they feared the loser would lose cred, and they wanted both to keep their "iron man'" reputations.

Ultimately, I agree with you. I don't think they wanted to tarnish either guy. Though Arlovski would ultimately be tarnished by Sylvia, in hindsight, this is the fight that UFC should have made.

I wonder why they didn't care so much about tarnishing either Stipe or DC? What makes it ok now but not then?

I'm surprised Chuck had such a good chin all while having such a small head

Most people with peanut heads usually have terrible chins, a la Reem

Arlovski would be too quick and too powerful for Chuck, he'd get it done in a round

Never really considered this fight before, good call. I would personally favour Arlovski, his chin is not as bad as people make out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back