Andrei Arlovski vs Chuck Liddell circa 2005 - Why didn't the UFC do it?

I want to see this fight now. Shit. Arlovski wins imo.

Arlovski wins here. Chuck was slower and less technical and good boxing is his kryptonite. Arlovski bangs the shots down the middle because Liddell had a sloppy guard. AA KO written all over it. Bad Bad Matchup for Chuck

Chuck Liddell was king of the mountain when the mountain was SMALL.

It wasnt until late 2006 when the UFC started to get PrideFC fighters and the weight class started to get some depth and talent. If you remove Couture from his wins those 2 years he was on top, you end up with a punk ass Ortiz and Vernon White leaving only 1 other fight...Jeremy Horn.

The second he fought someone that could actually punch he got his ass handed to him via Rampage. Also, the idea that Liddell had an iron chin is laughable when you notice how easily he got knocked out when he fought actual punchers instead of grapplers.

AA via asswhooping.

Arlvoski has some killer hands back then and had beaten some mma solid strikers at the time like Sylvia, Cabbage, Buentello. Chuck could take a punch and give one back then, I'd like his chances in that fight.

Arlovski is in my opinion the most devistating glass canon ever. I think he can swarm chuck to victory, but if chuck connects, and chuck is able to KO going backwards so it’s a good chance, it’s over.

2/3 arlovski wins it, but it’s really just a toss up to me.

AA isn't a wrestler and would have iced Chuck quickly.

Hard to know. I think we bought the hypw with AA because he smashed Freeman, Eilers and that ko of Buentello. Then again Chuck never faced top level strikers in the ufc around that time either. Belfort a couple ilof years earlier but Vitor wasnt what he used to be, think the sister thing proper messed him up. Toss up imo

Arlvoski has some killer hands back then and had beaten some mma solid strikers at the time like Sylvia, Cabbage, Buentello. Chuck could take a punch and give one back then, I'd like his chances in that fight.

Not sure Chuck could take the kind of punches Arlovski threw though, KOing Rothwell and Nelson back to back.

Chuck's style as well doesn't really see ideal to me, the guys who caused Arlovski the most trouble were those who pressured him but Chuck generally tended to look to counter. I mean I could see him landing a counter as Arlovski did leave openings when he got aggressive but I tend to think Andrei would land big first more often.

Its definitely a more winnable fight for Chuck than Mirko would have been though.

Would have been a amazing fight back then.

Chuck Liddell was king of the mountain when the mountain was SMALL.

It wasnt until late 2006 when the UFC started to get PrideFC fighters and the weight class started to get some depth and talent. If you remove Couture from his wins those 2 years he was on top, you end up with a punk ass Ortiz and Vernon White leaving only 1 other fight...Jeremy Horn.

The second he fought someone that could actually punch he got his ass handed to him via Rampage. Also, the idea that Liddell had an iron chin is laughable when you notice how easily he got knocked out when he fought actual punchers instead of grapplers.

AA via asswhooping.
Actually, if you have a closer look at Lidell´s resume, you would be surprised...

b4 2006, and others than Tito & Horn & Tiger, he somehow managed to beat some pretty good names:

Jose Landi-Jons
Alistair Overeem
Babalu
Vitor Gracie
Amar Suloev (obviously undersized, but a skilled striker)
Murilo Bustamante
Guy Mezger
Kevin Randleman

On paper, back in the days, I´d have bet against him...

Actually, if you have a closer look at Lidell´s resume, you would be surprised...

b4 2006, and others than Tito & Horn & Tiger, he somehow managed to beat some pretty good names:

Jose Landi-Jons
Alistair Overeem
Babalu
Vitor Gracie
Amar Suloev (obviously undersized, but a skilled striker)
Murilo Bustamante
Guy Mezger
Kevin Randleman

On paper, back in the days, I´d have bet against him...

Of those names, only a few were actually any good. Randleman was a WRESTLER, not a striker. Mezger was popular but average. he fought Overeem long before his prime and back when he wasnt even a striker, Bustamante was a BJJ fighter with weak striking and Sobral, again...was a grappler. The others are a joke and not worth mentioning.

Liddell was always good against grapplers and that was my point. He was always WEAK against strikers. And his fight against Rampage in 2003 in Pride was a perfect example of it which was repeated again in 2007 when Rampage bitch slapped him again and took his belt. Liddell would not have lasted against AA and his counter punching wouldnt have worked due to AAs insane ability to get in and out so fast back then while having much faster hands.

Of those names, only a few were actually any good. Randleman was a WRESTLER, not a striker. Mezger was popular but average. he fought Overeem long before his prime and back when he wasnt even a striker, Bustamante was a BJJ fighter with weak striking and Sobral, again...was a grappler. The others are a joke and not worth mentioning.

Liddell was always good against grapplers and that was my point. He was always WEAK against strikers. And his fight against Rampage in 2003 in Pride was a perfect example of it which was repeated again in 2007 when Rampage bitch slapped him again and took his belt. Liddell would not have lasted against AA and his counter punching wouldnt have worked due to AAs insane ability to get in and out so fast back then while having much faster hands.
what...are....u....talkin´...about....

cruz.gif

Bustamante was more than a BJJ dude, he had good and sound boxing. DId u watch his fights?

Mezger, had an extensive experience: kickboxing, boxing, full-contact karate, Pancrase, WFFF, UFC, WPC, and Pride
= 142 fights (121 W, 19L,6 D). His striking was more than legit.

Randleman was a wrestler, but had a deceptive and dangerous boxing.

Babalu was a well-rounded fighter: background in Wrestling and Luta Livre 1st, he then added Muay Thai and BJJ.

Jose Landi-Jons Pelé: not a good striker? U Seriouz? He beat Spider twice in Muay Thai.

Amar Suloev: ol´school, very fluid striking, obviously you dont know him. [naturally undersized @ LHW ]

"he fought Overeem long before his prime and back when he wasnt even a striker," = lulwut?

Last edited:
Young Arlovksi KO's the piss outta Chuck

You can post all the head shaking you want but Bustamante only got a standing knockout in 2 promotions most people never even heard of because of how small they were. So again, WEAK striking.

Most of Mezgers experience was OUTSIDE MMA and who did he defeat IN it? All low ranking guys, his biggest win was against Ortiz back when Ortiz was just getting started and later lost to him when he did have experience.

Randleman? Who did he KNOCK OUT? No one. Bye. Babalu? Who did he knock out? No one. Bye...Noticing a pattern yet? You clearly have no clue what a good striker is, more than likely a Liddell nuthugger that cant accept the truth, that he could not stand up against a top ranking striker and always got his ass handed to him when he did.

Wonder if I should post a gif to prop myself up...naw, my words do that for me.

I'd heavily favor AA. Dude is massive, was incredibly fast and accurate, and hit hard. Chuck was too willing to take shots to give shots, would've gotten him hurt here I think.

Skillwise I would favour Chuck, historia Chin was also better, but how would he do at he idk

Back