Anime and Manga v39

Never mind the fact that Netflix somehow managed to make it (DeathNote) even worse.

Never mind the fact that Netflix somehow managed to make it (DeathNote) even worse.
Yeah.

Has there ever been a good live action anime adaptation?

In regards to Death Note. It’s good but I don’t hold it in the same light as Cowboy Bebop, Berserk and other classics.

Well people’s tastes vary.

Last edited:
Yeah.

Has there ever been a good live action anime adaptation?

In regards to Death Note. It’s good but I don’t hold it in the same light as Cowboy Bebop, Berserk and other classics.

Well people tastes vary.
People's tastes vary and I'm not going to criticize someone for enjoying Death Note. But for me, the biggest problem is those that like it talk it up like it's Akira levels of good/deep when it frankly isn't even close.

Early season 1 is pretty good but the main character (the kid that writes in the notebook) they try to hard to make him seem like a genius that the creators paint him into a corner super quick and he becomes a dumbshit because of it. Like, isn't he tricked into writing his own name in the damn thing at the end?

The other issue I have is the way the present shinigami. Bleach somehow does a better job in that the purpose of shinigami in Japanese folklore is the same as the boatman from Greek mythology. They carry you to the otherside. They don't just show up looking to get their jollies off helping people die.

Champloo does a damn good job of it too.

People's tastes vary and I'm not going to criticize someone for enjoying Death Note. But for me, the biggest problem is those that like it talk it up like it's Akira levels of good/deep when it frankly isn't even close.

Early season 1 is pretty good but the main character (the kid that writes in the notebook) they try to hard to make him seem like a genius that the creators paint him into a corner super quick and he becomes a dumbshit because of it. Like, isn't he tricked into writing his own name in the damn thing at the end?

The other issue I have is the way the present shinigami. Bleach somehow does a better job in that the purpose of shinigami in Japanese folklore is the same as the boatman from Greek mythology. They carry you to the otherside. They don't just show up looking to get their jollies off helping people die.

Champloo does a damn good job of it too.

In the end Light just got to cocky and sloppy. The author wanted to end it quick and they just wrapped it up. A genius character blinded by his own arrogance. Yadayada, justice prevails narrative.

Like you said the first part was great and then the second stanza just felt flat.

I saw Akira a few times when I was younger

It was ok

Death Note is pretty good up untill ???? dies.. After that it becomes unwatchable. It is one of the steepest drop offs I have ever seen in a show

Code Geass is better than Death Note and it has mechs + hot sluts

Yea I have no idea why people write them off just because they are cartoons. I mean in a way I get it because western cartoons don't get nearly as detailed but yea.

I'd still call BS though since there are a lot of great shows and movies being produced. It really does just feel like a really big difference in terms of culture about the medium. Like, VA's over there are treated as actual celebrities and have big name recognition vs over here it feels.

Agreed on G Gundam.

And I GET that Bebop, Champloo, and Outlaw Star can have their goofy moments but Trigun literally goes from "hero is a uselss dumbshit" to "he and the preacher are gods" in the span of 5 minutes.

One thing I had an issue with Trigun(and Kenshin though MUCH less so) as I've grown older and watched more shows is his very strict thou shalt not kill policy. Like I understand the message and Aesop and all, but it kind of falls apart for me when he really SHOULD kill some of the people he deals with on the simple grounds that not doing so is just gonna get more people killed in the long run or doing so would have resulted in less casualties

One thing I had an issue with Trigun(and Kenshin though MUCH less so) as I've grown older and watched more shows is his very strict thou shalt not kill policy. Like I understand the message and Aesop and all, but it kind of falls apart for me when he really SHOULD kill some of the people he deals with on the simple grounds that not doing so is just gonna get more people killed in the long run or doing so would have resulted in less casualties
Yeah that's why I like Kenshiro and Guts.

It's killing time!

Akira is meant to be deep? Lol all of the "deep" is surface level pseudo sociopolitical bs. Reminds me of when I used to analyse colour of the drapes to mean something in English class. Its a pretty straight forward story.

Death Note is fantastic, and some say it falls off after a certain character dies, but thats because there really isnt a replacement for the character that matches up to Light. Near is meant to be just as smart as L but doesnt possess L's philosophy of winning by finding irrefutable evidence. And by the end, it wasnt because Near solved everything like L wouldve wanted but because Light got sloppy, author made him less logical than he was at the beginning of the story.

Near was L lite and we we always felt like L and Light were neck and neck. The Sherlock to L's Moriarty. Near was setup to be lesser than L, and needed to team up with Melo and ultimately some of the audience didnt dig that.

In the end Light just got to cocky and sloppy. The author wanted to end it quick and they just wrapped it up. A genius character blinded by his own arrogance. Yadayada, justice prevails narrative.

Like you said the first part was great and then the second stanza just felt flat.

i always thought it would be really interesting if they did a remake/re-imagining where L is the one who finds the book instead of Light, and how that scenario would play out..

also, has anyone mentioned Ajin?
it's on netflix, two seasons in, very cool stuff.

79202l.jpg

i always thought it would be really interesting if they did a remake/re-imagining where L is the one who finds the book instead of Light, and how that scenario would play out..
L wouldn’t have used it that’s for sure.

Also...

I believe the author mentioned that if Light never found the notebook he would go on to be one the worlds best detectives. But alas he found it and dramatically ate potato chips like a weirdo.

L wouldn’t have used it that’s for sure.

Also...

I believe the author mentioned that if Light never found the notebook he would go on to be one the worlds best detectives. But alas he found it and dramatically ate potato chips like a weirdo.

why wouldn't L use it? i haven't seen it in awhile so i don't recall his philosophy.

why wouldn't L use it? i haven't seen it in awhile so i don't recall his philosophy.
L has a different concept of justice compared to Lights.

Light had a god complex and even though he was killing criminals, he wasn’t afraid to kill those who got in his way. He even contemplated killing his sister and mocked his dad’s death.

L has no such thoughts and wants to solve crimes the old fahshioned way. He views the Death Note as evil. Both do go to extremes but Light goes over the edge many times.

On the off chance L did use it, I doubt he would use it again and either lock it up or try to destroy it.

L has a different concept of justice compared to Lights.

Light had a god complex and even though he was killing criminals, he wasn’t afraid to kill those who got in his way. He even contemplated killing his sister and mocked his dad’s death.

L has no such thoughts and wants to solve crimes the old fahshioned way. He views the Death Note as evil. Both do go to extremes but Light goes over the edge many times.

On the off chance L did use it, I doubt he would use it again and either lock it up or try to destroy it.

i wonder if L would be able to use it more effectively than Light though?

you're probably right that he wouldn't use it, but if he did use it, i think he would use it better than Light

It's like Batman vs Punisher for me in that realm. It's why though I like Trigun Bebop and Champloo are better IMO.

Latest One Piece got me hyped.

Kaido and Big Mom making contact.

Marines are in a bind.

CP0-Rob Lucci and Kaku make an appearance.

And Shanks meeting with the Gorosei.
I was just reading the chapter again and didn't it seem to imply that they were crew members at some point? I wonder who their captain was. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's someone like Shiki.

We're almost 400 chapters into Tower of God and today we just got our first look at the actual Jahad. That's impressive, to be able to have this guy exist as an interesting piece of background for so long and then when you finally show him it doesn't disappoint. And he's not even showing off any real powers, he just sort of...showed up.
Really? Time for my biannual marathon.

Anyone keeping up with Seven Deadly Sins? Next episode is hyped! My Hero Acacemia is getting good too. Attack on Titan season 3 is coming out next month for 24 episodes. One Punch Man is no where to be found....

Megalo Box is gonna be a classic. Right amount of nostalgia with the art style and animation, fantastically written underdog story similar to ippo and Joe, whilst also fixing some of the pacing issues of those anime. Its an all round great anime.

New One Piece is out over at Jamini's Box. Won't even post spoilers til everyone has read it.

Megalo Box is gonna be a classic. Right amount of nostalgia with the art style and animation, fantastically written underdog story similar to ippo and Joe, whilst also fixing some of the pacing issues of those anime. Its an all round great anime.
I've been meaning to watch that series but theirs just too many goddamn shows! Maybe tomorrow.

Back